Coral Vue Hydros

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

There is a blue mushroom right under the Duncan, could it be stinging it? Click on the pic and it will enlarge so you can see the Duncan right above the shroom. This photo is from 2 weeks ago. The Duncan has withered since then. But the Shroom is almost touching it most days.

Your tank is growing in so nicely!!!! I would say it very well could be the mushroom irritating it which caused it's decline. I had a duncan once and it died on me. Never figured out what the issue was. There were no other corals near it. It just declined and died.
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks gals and Nanoman. That is high praise indeed. There have been speed bumps but I am pleased....but the dang thing is so small!!!! LOLOLOL!

The hard thing about this problem is that I glued the Duncan frag into a coral hole! Would take some doing to get it out without upsetting everything. The mushroom on the other hand may be trained away from it. I could position a wedge of some kind...necessity is the mother of invention!

• 3 weeks later...

It's really not black, actually purple and pink pieces of coral rubble Coraline Marine Aquarium Gravel to be exact.

Today noticed 2 new mushroom heads!!! Things are popping out all over. Tank will be one year old the end of January.

I must say, after much skepticism, but unwilling to wait, the coralline growth is increasing with the Kent Purple Tech I've been using the last month. So I guess it's not all hype! I got nothing prior to it.

The brittle star population is absolutely exponential! They are all over the rock...nobody ever comes out, but their tentacles are everywhere!

We had our yearly Christmas party Friday and people were glued around the tank like Zombies. They loved it...as do I...they have known others who tried it but never one as successful as mine....I had to tell them I owe it all to you guys here at Nano-reef!

Thanks for a successful and prolific year!

Aw thanks. you've done the work. It's hard to sometimes maintain enthusiasm while there are problems with a tank. Anymore I have a really difficult time finding the motivation to do weekly water changes and I used to love doing them. Now I'm hating them.

Annette, don't quit or anything...you are one of my heroines! :P I still plan on getting a maxi soon. Say it isn't so!

As for changes, I've got it down to a science and with my small tank it's easy now. The hardest part is getting the temp right on the new salt water. I just buy the water at my lfs....too cheap and easy. My biggest drudgery is cleaning the red stuff off the back wall and glass...isch! I am going to invent a tool that really works one of these days. One you can change out single edge blades and with a long narrow wand.

Was looking at Kat's new tank today, didn't even know she was doing it...you miss so much around here going off on a cruise and coming back to the Holidays.

Annette, don't quit or anything...you are one of my heroines! :P I still plan on getting a maxi soon. Say it isn't so!

As for changes, I've got it down to a science and with my small tank it's easy now. The hardest part is getting the temp right on the new salt water. I just buy the water at my lfs....too cheap and easy. My biggest drudgery is cleaning the red stuff off the back wall and glass...isch! I am going to invent a tool that really works one of these days. One you can change out single edge blades and with a long narrow wand.

Was looking at Kat's new tank today, didn't even know she was doing it...you miss so much around here going off on a cruise and coming back to the Holidays.

No, not quitting, just need the motivation to keep doing water changes & such. I shouldn't go weeks w/o a water change. Just have gotten tired of weeks of weeks of water changes and I need to get on the ball.

This tank is coming along really nice. Good work Squishy

Here is that razorblade holder you were looking for.

razorbladeholder.png

They also have magfloat add-ons that will accept razors

This tank is coming along really nice. Good work Squishy

Here is that razorblade holder you were looking for.

razorbladeholder.png

They also have magfloat add-ons that will accept razors

I think you just made Squishy's Christmas!!!!

No, not quitting, just need the motivation to keep doing water changes & such. I shouldn't go weeks w/o a water change. Just have gotten tired of weeks of weeks of water changes and I need to get on the ball.

It is really tough keeping up with 4 different tanks. I have not looked at all your tanks but is it possible to combine some via sump or just combine inhabitants. I now have 3 tanks all connected by the main sump. It requirers having enough space and electrical access for all the tanks in one place. You may not have a good spot like that but it makes maintenance much easier. One big WC and one system to test.

Guess you are talking to Annette -1stimereefer.

I only have the one tank and am not likely to complicate things with more.....I can just keep up with this one.

It is really tough keeping up with 4 different tanks. I have not looked at all your tanks but is it possible to combine some via sump or just combine inhabitants. I now have 3 tanks all connected by the main sump. It requirers having enough space and electrical access for all the tanks in one place. You may not have a good spot like that but it makes maintenance much easier. One big WC and one system to test.

Not possible, the biggest is a 60 and in the basement, only rock flower anemone action there. The 20g is for the mantis so she can't be w/ anything. The 8 gallon has my maxima and sps and some softies and mushrooms, my 34 has a mix of corals and 2 black clowns, a couple gobies. There's no room in there to move the stuff from even the 8. And now I just won $150 to spend at reefgardener so any coral will probably go in the 34. The only thing I am doing is selling locally my 55 gallon freshwater tank and inhabitants.

Not possible, the biggest is a 60 and in the basement, only rock flower anemone action there. The 20g is for the mantis so she can't be w/ anything. The 8 gallon has my maxima and sps and some softies and mushrooms, my 34 has a mix of corals and 2 black clowns, a couple gobies. There's no room in there to move the stuff from even the 8. And now I just won $150 to spend at reefgardener so any coral will probably go in the 34. The only thing I am doing is selling locally my 55 gallon freshwater tank and inhabitants.

Well, it was a thought. Sorry it can't work for you.

Guys:

I just bought my first SPS well except for the montipora that is. A birdsnest and she likes it there, I can't think of birdsnest as a male entity! LOL~

birdsnet%20Dec%2013%202014-X2.jpg

Also picked up some minute frags of orange bam bam and a gobby green mushroom with warts. Going back next week when the new coral shipment arrives to pick out a blasto or macromusa.

Any suggestions for the birdsnest...still doing weekly WCs and testing regularily. Fed them Coral Frenzy this morning. She was pale yellow under the lfs T5s and is beautiful purple/pink under my NanoBox.

Well shes been knocked down 3 or 4 times and some polyps damaged. The dang glue just doesn't seem to want to do the trick. I just ordered some of Julian's glue...hope it works better.

Once it got tangled in some Dragon's Breath algae that came lose and was floating around. The crabs are pretty destructive, but I love 'em.

Hey Gena, the Duncan is still around recovered even and the smaller head is coming back also. One other head looks like its trying but it might have been too damaged. But I think it'll be fine eventually, so wanted it to look like the huge colonies I see online. But it may take longer. I am very pleased with the Bounce mushroom I just got along with the Bam Bams too. Now to just do maintenance with the new glue to get everything down.

Even my watermelon Zoas are back and even more prolific. The runners that spread onto my rock in the old location are now coming on strong and the original colony are fat and happy once again...guess I've got all the params about where they should be. And the bit of green Monti flesh that was left behind from moving my Siamese frag of it (red/green swirl) is now becoming a full blown Monti Cap. It will take a while but eventually I see it developing into a honest piece...whoopee. Honestly, the most exciting thing about a mature tank is watching the freebies develop from your stock....awesome!

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.

Legend of the seas to Hawaii May 14th...10 days from Ensenada MX to around the islands then 4 days with brother in Honolulu....can't wait!

Archived