SaltCritters.com

The Official Crab Stacking Thread!

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

fun

Awesome! Sorry I missed this when you posted. Good catch!

Threefer, or is that four?

Win! Looks like a turbo, a stomatella, maybe astria, another stoma, and maybe a limpet? Well done!

Thanks to you both for contributing. Keep 'em coming!

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

I need to get a picture of my hermits walking around with snails attached to their shells

Please do!!!

Not stacking but hanging still count? This was in a large critter carrier that was housing a young Sepia Badensis in my display for a bit. Still unsure how the hermit made it to the top of the carrier

post-47692-0-18814400-1402537337_thumb.jpg

My pistol shrimp decided to get on the grab stacking. Well he prefers crab rearranging. Wish the Halloween hermit would stop hiding by the pistol/goby hole. I keep finding him all over the sand like this. Usually not around rock work, pistol just pushes him out into the open away from his burrow.

post-47692-0-46957800-1403219821_thumb.jpg

post-47692-0-18960400-1403219832_thumb.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Not stacking but hanging still count? This was in a large critter carrier that was housing a young Sepia Badensis in my display for a bit. Still unsure how the hermit made it to the top of the carrier

Good one Outo! I'm always amazed how well they can climb up things. I often see my hermits climbing up the corners of my aquarium, somehow holding on to the tiny bit of silicone. I'm not sure what they're thinking though. They just get to the top and then fall down to the bottom. lol

My pistol shrimp decided to get on the grab stacking. Well he prefers crab rearranging. Wish the Halloween hermit would stop hiding by the pistol/goby hole. I keep finding him all over the sand like this. Usually not around rock work, pistol just pushes him out into the open away from his burrow.

LOL! At least the pistol is kind enough to just move the hermit and not give him a shot! Great addition. Thanks Outo!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol... nice thread! Unfortunately I only have 2 hermits but my snails make 3 stacks fairly often. I'll remember to snap a pic next time!

Mr. Microscope

One small hermit stacked on top of my Halloween Hermit. Plus a photobomb by the YWG.

That's an official Crabstackin'!

Haha! Those watchman gobies are always like, "me! me! pay attention to ME!"

lol... nice thread! Unfortunately I only have 2 hermits but my snails make 3 stacks fairly often. I'll remember to snap a pic next time!

Thanks Tamberav! Please do. Sounds like you have a possibility for a five-stacker there. lol.

That's an official Crabstackin'!

Haha! Those watchman gobies are always like, "me! me! pay attention to ME!"

My YWG used to be super shy and I rarely saw him, but since the tank redo he's always out front and center. He's gotten really good at begging for food when I'm near the tank.

• 3 months later...
Mr. Microscope

Snail stacking...nerites, fighting conch, and banded trochus :).

IMG_8630_zpsb8c41b7a.jpg

This thread always puts a smile on my face. Thanks for adding Gena!

Not as many levels as some, but points perhaps for extreme-ness? Hermits perched on filter, horizontally! :)

post-70644-0-24428600-1414078222_thumb.jpg

Joking aside... these things have a heck of a grip once their claws are set and they put some effort into not being moved.

Mr. Microscope

Not as many levels as some, but points perhaps for extreme-ness? Hermits perched on filter, horizontally! :)

attachicon.gifhermitstack.jpg

Lol! Awesome!

55568388.jpg

Joking aside... these things have a heck of a grip once their claws are set and they put some effort into not being moved.

Seriously, you can't pull them off a rock or coral if they don't want to leave it. You'd pull the shell off of them before they'd let go. I found the best way to remove a crab is to use a pipette and sharply blow at them. It startles them enough to let go and then you can quickly nab them.
  • 3 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

My hangers:

They never make it all the way. If they were smart, they'd hitch a ride on one of those damned nerites.

Haha! Fun! My crabs used to do that. It's amazing that they can attach to such a small amount of silicone and climb up. That big one looks like a good sized hermit.
Mr. Microscope

Just before cleaning I caught my urchin taking the duncan for a ride. Seemed appropriate for this thread.

15627389469_87d694c236_b.jpg

15627388719_5c89c07e13_b.jpg

lol! I won't discriminate inverts. Fun pics!
  • 2 months later...

I figured this would be the best place to post this...

I found my crab with an aggregating anemone stuck to his face!!! Don't worry, I pulled it off afterwards.

post-82411-0-84249400-1422335333_thumb.jpgpost-82411-0-48729400-1422335334_thumb.jpgpost-82411-0-87202100-1422335334_thumb.jpgpost-82411-0-30529600-1422335335_thumb.jpg

Archived