Coral Vue Hydros

Lani's 20L

Lalani

Now that the tank is in your room; you'll be looking at it a lot more. I'll assume/hope that, because of this, you'll be much more active in your updates. This is one of the key factors in keeping a nano IMHO; visibility. Unless your aquarium is in a spot where you/others are forced to look at it on a daily basis, you will not be devoting the proper level of attention required to keep the system parameters in check.

Sorry, not sorry. Attend to that GHA problem...now get to work :P

Really tho, I just want to see more pics of your tank :blush:

-pinner

• Like 1

Tank is looking nice, Kim.

<3

Now that the tank is in your room; you'll be looking at it a lot more. I'll assume/hope that, because of this, you'll be much more active in your updates. This is one of the key factors in keeping a nano IMHO; visibility. Unless your aquarium is in a spot where you/others are forced to look at it on a daily basis, you will not be devoting the proper level of attention required to keep the system parameters in check.

Sorry, not sorry. Attend to that GHA problem...now get to work :P

Really tho, I just want to see more pics of your tank :blush:

-pinner

Its true though! I see it all the time now so I'm always thinking about it and I've been doing some ~40% WCs on it weekly. The algae is quickly receding so once its tamed I'll think about adding more stuff to it. Seeing that stuff at San Diego MACNA also kicked my butt in gear, so yeah. It's getting better.

On the flip side, living with two roommates who are also younger than me and urban explorers/photographers means a lot of free time is spent photographing abandonments, so I'm trying to balance my two favorite hobbies, as well as working, trying to get healthier again, and dating.... Lets just say, I'm so tired at the end of every day, lol.

I promise I'll post some pics soon... maybe even tonight!

• Like 6
  • 4 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 3:21 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Dear Pirate Queen: update please? :flower:

Also, I'M BACK!!!!!

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg You're back!!!!!!!! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

:flower:

I keep getting distracted from working on the tank. But I'm going to try harder! I'll update soon, I promise! :wub: 

• Like 4

Soooo, I'm actually thinking about selling the tank.... :unsure:

I just don't have the time, energy, or money to get it looking pretty again so I might just sell of the majority of it and downsize to a pico. LMK if anybody wants to make an offer for anything!

5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

:o

Well, sometimes a fresh start can bring new motivation :D Looking for some life simplification with a pico?

Yep! I just haven't been taking care of this tank like I need to and I get disappointed in myself every time I look at it. Plus, I'll be moving to a new house in August, so I don't want to have to lug this thing around again. So for now I'm trying to just sell everything or downgrade to a pico and once I get settled in a permanent place, move back up to a 20L or 40br. :flower:

• 1 month later...

I've always loved your tanks.  They were some of my inspirations when I was getting into the hobby. :happy: Did you end up breaking the tank down?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've always loved your tanks.  They were some of my inspirations when I was getting into the hobby. :happy: Did you end up breaking the tank down?

D'aww, thank you! That means a lot. :)

Nah, I started doing more frequent water changes and fragged some corals, but there's still so much algae and flatworms. Can't seem to get on top of it. And I'm anticipating moving the tank to a new house in the next month or so (I hope), so I kinda just want to wait until I tear it down for that to replace some of the rocks and semi-start over. Its just kinda depressing looking at it when I know how nice it could be.

13 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I miss Pirate Queen Tanks. :happydance:

<3 I promise I'll get my shit together again, lol

After I move, I plan on starting a Lake Pontchartrain biotope tank. Can easily catch fish, crabs, and giant snails at the lakefront. I emailed the department of wildlife and fisheries to see if it was legal to harvest them and no one responded, so I'm just gonna do it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you stuck a Wrasse in there, I believe it would eat the flatworms. :flower:

But it would also increase the bioload and help the algae grow. :(

The flatworms don't really bother me that much, its that damn algae. Pink, hair, bryopsis, bubble, the whole works it seems.

5 minutes ago, Lalani said:

But it would also increase the bioload and help the algae grow. :(

The flatworms don't really bother me that much, its that damn algae. Pink, hair, bryopsis, bubble, the whole works it seems.

Oooohhh. 

Yeah, that would get to me too. 

Heck, it HAS in the past!!

Ok, do a re-boot with new rock. 

• Like 2

Your tank was one of my biggest inspirations when I started up my 20L. Read this thread all the way through. Thanks for sharing it all.

Bummer that algae has taken over such a good looking tank. Hopefully you will bring it back to it's former glory, then post a bunch of pics here so we can see ;)

• Like 2
On 4/24/2017 at 7:03 PM, Lalani said:

D'aww, thank you! That means a lot. :)

Nah, I started doing more frequent water changes and fragged some corals, but there's still so much algae and flatworms. Can't seem to get on top of it. And I'm anticipating moving the tank to a new house in the next month or so (I hope), so I kinda just want to wait until I tear it down for that to replace some of the rocks and semi-start over. Its just kinda depressing looking at it when I know how nice it could be.

<3 I promise I'll get my shit together again, lol

After I move, I plan on starting a Lake Pontchartrain biotope tank. Can easily catch fish, crabs, and giant snails at the lakefront. I emailed the department of wildlife and fisheries to see if it was legal to harvest them and no one responded, so I'm just gonna do it.

Oh, awesome!  Glad to see it's still going.  Any way you can maybe use peroxide on the surface of some of the rocks?  Some people are using that on algae.  It is a total bummer when the algae takes over and you're looking at your tank like "Oh, look at this nice crop of hair algae...ugh!"  Kind of like my gardening attempts where I grew more weeds than food. :rolleyes:  I don't blame you for wanting to start over though, any way you can get some rock and stick it in a bucket to start cycling? :flower:

Also, a Lake Pontchartrain biotope would be super-cool!  I was down there for a wedding about a decade ago but all I got to do lake wise was drive across the patchworked bridge they put together after Katrina, on my way to and from the city to get beignets at the Cafe du Monde.  Yummmm!

I have seen 35% food grade peroxide used as Lula described to get rid of algae topically, and I have also seen people dose fluconazole in tanks on here to get rid of GHA infestations. 

There's a thread on it somewhere on here. 

• 5 months later...