inTank Media Baskets

Zoa eating star?

GenSkiR6

Anybody know of this little guy could have eaten my zoa? Got the zoa yesterday and then this morning, bam! They polyp is gone. All that remains is glue. He was the only thing next to it. He's the size of a pea.

post-82445-0-98792000-1389826424_thumb.jpg

Not likely, although I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Just a common asterina. I have plenty of those and have never seen them bother any corals.

Anybody know of this little guy could have eaten my zoa? Got the zoa yesterday and then this morning, bam! They polyp is gone. All that remains is glue. He was the only thing next to it. He's the size of a pea.

I'm dumbfounded. :blink: Do you know about how long before his other legs will grown back? Ive had him awhile now and he's just gotten bigger but his legs have not grown out

Some like zoas, I noticed the guys with the gray spots in my tank like to cruise the zoa garden. I usually toss them. The ones with the orange spots are okay, they like coralline.
Yeah the ones with the grey spots like to munch in my tank. Bastads!

Some like zoas, I noticed the guys with the gray spots in my tank like to cruise the zoa garden. I usually toss them. The ones with the orange spots are okay, they like coralline.

Yeah the ones with the grey spots like to munch in my tank. Bastads!

Oh hell no! Let the hunt begin. I dropped him into the sand bed about an hour ago. Son of a !!!!! Thanks guys! I gotta go!!!

I'm dumbfounded. :blink: Do you know about how long before his other legs will grown back? Ive had him awhile now and he's just gotten bigger but his legs have not grown out

I have one in my mangrove/junk tank and it looks the same.

• 3 weeks later...
printerdown01

Did you just transplant the zoa? If it has been transplanted within the week it has probably just bailed from the glue. They do not stick to super glue well. I have had a number of these types of stars over the years and none of them has had a taste for coral. The ones that do eat coral are extremely uncommon in the hobby. Mine would cruse my zoas, and every other place that had tight squeezes looking for food.

frankdontsurf

They wiped out my zoas. :\ They seem to do this when the zoas aren't open. I never had a problem with them until I had a GHA outbreak and kept the lights off for a week. Turned the lights back on and they were all over where my zoas used to be. They left stumps.

I have tons of these guys I added them on purpose. The white ones do not bother any of my corals. I did have some bigger ugly brown ones that would eat zoa skirts though.

Basically there are a few kinds and some are perfectly safe and others are not. Since yours is on the glass, I wouldn't worry about it.

The zoa probably bailed off the glue though if it was freshly fragged. When I caught a brown one eating my zoa.. it definitely didn't eat it overnight unless you have a infestation. Probably blaming the wrong thing in this instance.

Archived