inTank Media Baskets

how quickly does algea grow on your glass

Rymah

My tank has been up and running for 3 years now, i have never have algea problems, but the other day while i was scrapeing my glass (once a week) i started thinking if other people do it as often/more/less then i do.

when i scape you can visably see the little green dots all over the glass, not enought to limit viewing though.

how about you guys?

my journey with glass scraping is about 70% of why I use 35% peroxide now instead of scraping, the other portion was invasive red algae

in my tiny old pico when it was 3 like your tank, the typical green and brown haze that would show up weekly required forceful scraping to remove, and with my pico having curved glass vs straight like a normal tank, straight razors wouldnt cut it. no scraper made would cut it, the bowl is curved and has to have something conform to it so a scouring pad corner and big tweezers was all that could do it

so my bowl is so destroyed by scratches I knew at one point it would become opaque

enter peroxide

for the last 3 years upon water changes when the glass is exposed, I wipe 35% over the film with a small piece of paper towel and wait to refill the tank for a few minutes. next day it is self wiped 100% clean and lasts longer as well compared to old fashioned removal.

scraping microalgae on a super old tank is quite a chore and this cheat is just amazing thats my input. had I known this method earlier, I would have zero scratches.

now I go once a month on green haze removal in a tank with old dsb and much age, it should be getting worse, but instead its an improvement many times better than previously before the cheat lol

I magfloat my glass 1x or 2x a week, but that's just the haze that easily gets removed. My coralline is so invasive though that I have to scrape it off the viewing panes every couple of weeks.

my journey with glass scraping is about 70% of why I use 35% peroxide now instead of scraping, the other portion was invasive red algae

in my tiny old pico when it was 3 like your tank, the typical green and brown haze that would show up weekly required forceful scraping to remove, and with my pico having curved glass vs straight like a normal tank, straight razors wouldnt cut it. no scraper made would cut it, the bowl is curved and has to have something conform to it so a scouring pad corner and big tweezers was all that could do it

so my bowl is so destroyed by scratches I knew at one point it would become opaque

enter peroxide

for the last 3 years upon water changes when the glass is exposed, I wipe 35% over the film with a small piece of paper towel and wait to refill the tank for a few minutes. next day it is self wiped 100% clean and lasts longer as well compared to old fashioned removal.

scraping microalgae on a super old tank is quite a chore and this cheat is just amazing thats my input. had I known this method earlier, I would have zero scratches.

now I go once a month on green haze removal in a tank with old dsb and much age, it should be getting worse, but instead its an improvement many times better than previously before the cheat lol

Do you actually stick the paper towel in the water or just wherever the glass is exposed to air?

I know peroxide is okay for tanks but was just curious.

how about the exact vid! nothing better than seeing all my scratched glass :) and a coral banded who can swim in peroxide without dying lol

recap:

man does over 500 of these on a mixed sps lps pico reef set up in 2006

leaves bowl drained, all corals and shrimp in the air, breaking every known reef rule. its tidal baby.

adds the most devastating oxidizer on the books we can legally attain to the system hundreds of times and things adapt

but even this fluid will not kill red mushrooms it causes reproduction!

now they invade my tank lol...mushrooms divide in the presence of peroxide assaults

a substance that can blanche human skin bone white absolutely cannot kill adapted mushrooms. this is 35% not 3% which is highly dangerous as an in tank use

my tank gets the most powerful peroxide input of any tank on the internet I guarantee that,..which is why working in other tanks at 3% is a walk in the park.

how about the exact vid! nothing better than seeing all my scratched glass :) and a coral banded who can swim in peroxide without dying lol

recap:

man does over 500 of these on a mixed sps lps pico reef set up in 2006

leaves bowl drained, all corals and shrimp in the air, breaking every known reef rule. its tidal baby.

adds the most devastating oxidizer on the books we can legally attain to the system hundreds of times and things adapt

but even this fluid will not kill red mushrooms it causes reproduction!

now they invade my tank lol...mushrooms divide in the presence of peroxide assaults

a substance that can blanche human skin bone white absolutely cannot kill adapted mushrooms. this is 35% not 3% which is highly dangerous as an in tank use

my tank gets the most powerful peroxide input of any tank on the internet I guarantee that,..which is why working in other tanks at 3% is a walk in the park.

Very Cool! I am curious at how well that method would work when applying it underwater.

How is 3% highly dangerous as compared to 35% which can mess up our skin?

maybe that came out backwards lol

35% is dangerous, if two drops get on your finger this happens:

you notice a tingling sensation you've never felt before, like stick pins

then you try to wash it off, still there

in 15mins the skin is bone white and you are freaking out and trying to find online what Randy Holmes Farley says about the matter but you cant because they are all against peroxide use in tank anyway lol

then in three hours it all magically disappears, I mean literally lol.

I haven't treated micro algae underwater with either solution

interesting details of 3% vs 35% on skin:

neither of them bubble, because common aerobes on human skin aren't catalase positive. but one burns real bad through oxidative destruction of the stratum corneum layer lol what a ride.

Oh haha that makes more sense. Sounds pretty freaky I may experiment with underwater treatment and 3% right before water changes.

Peroxide has some cool uses like the peroxide and baking soda the other day to treat hair algae.

Archived