ReefCleaners.org

Is Blue Scroll safe for nano display?

duganderson

I just saw a picture of Blue Sroll for the first time......very cool.

Is this macro safe for the display of a nano (28 g. nano cube) or can it take over, "go sexual", etc. I already have some red grape, halmeida and dragons breath.

What are the requirements for this (light, flow, etc.)?

Thank, Doug

I'm told scroll algae can be invasive, but I had some come in on live rock and had it about 4-5 months. It never spread, I just decided I didn't like it and plucked it. It never grew back and I still have the same rock 2 years later.

I've never heard of it going sexual. I have some right now and the growth isn't crazy. The color is also not very blue. It's at the top and center under my PAR 38 bulb. I think with lower light you get the blue coloring.

It's safe for a nano.

• Like 1

I've never heard of it going sexual. I have some right now and the growth isn't crazy. The color is also not very blue. It's at the top and center under my PAR 38 bulb. I think with lower light you get the blue coloring.

It's safe for a nano.

Gena.....Do you like the look of this macro in your tank? I only have a 28 g. nano so I'm starting to get picky about which corals/macros I add due to lack of remaining space. I've seen a couple pictures of this macro that have a really cool shape and great color.

tortoisekeeper

Mine just came in Fedex this morning. I got them from member got2envy. Her pictures are beautiful!!! She also sent me 2 green mushrooms and some green and blue Paly's. I can't wait to get home from work and see how they look in my tank.

• Like 1

Hello!

I have had this macro for years. Mine grows best attached to the power heads so I assume since it does this it likes flow and light. It will attach on its own if you dab a bit of glue and place it where you want it. Tangs and angels will eat it but snails and hermits leave it alone. I have an Abalone that loves macros but he will not touch the blue scroll. It is an easy to grow and keep in check macro. Never had it go asexual. It only grows where you put it as far as I know.

M

• Like 3

I had it in one of my tanks for the longest. It never went sexual. I can see it being potentially invasive but it is easy to trim back. It is a nice touch if you want something that will climb up on something in your tank since it can grow vertically pretty easily. I'm buying it again for my new tank.

• 5 years later...
CrazySeahorseLady

I can't find any.  Need a good place to purchase macro algae where shipping won't break the bank.  I've ordered some from Gulf Coast Ecosystems in the past but they are out of a lot of the ones that I am looking for . . . Cheato, String of Pearls, Dragon's Breath, Blue Hypnea, Caulerpa.  Thanks!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, CrazySeahorseLady said:

I can't find any.  Need a good place to purchase macro algae where shipping won't break the bank.  I've ordered some from Gulf Coast Ecosystems in the past but they are out of a lot of the ones that I am looking for . . . Cheato, String of Pearls, Dragon's Breath, Blue Hypnea, Caulerpa.  Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you.  I understand a lot of this is seasonal, but I'm sure their is a hobbyist that just has too much and is tossing it in the trash.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, CrazySeahorseLady said:

On 3/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, TatorTaco said:

I'm in the same boat as you.  I understand a lot of this is seasonal, but I'm sure their is a hobbyist that just has too much and is tossing it in the trash.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Scroll-Macro-algae-Live-Coral/392196651811

LA reefs has it on ebay frequently. 

• 1 month later...