Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arce's Tank

Arce

Tank isnt doing amazing. Going through the ugly stages. Just went to go feed my fish, as i put my hand in the water i got shocked. It literally made me jump it hurt that much. Trial and error unfortunately was the only way to find the fault. Ends up my heater failed, heated the tank up to 82 degrees over night and was the cause of the issues. Pulled it out and threw in a smaller spare heater i had. Really makes me second guess putting my hand in the tank now....

No idea if my fish, clam or the couple sps i have are damaged, they seem ok as of now.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Tank is still up and running. Got some serious cyano/slime going on though. I've promised myself that i wont take it down until the Kat frag, that has survived the worst, dies. Despite the issues its holding on well and is even encrusting still. Other than that i still have my clam, one gorg and fish. I really dont have much time or motivation for the tank anymore. I'm trying to come up with a plan for a very simple tank, gorgs and macros probably, but i have to get past the algae/cyano phases before i even try to do anything with this tank.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arce said:

Tank is still up and running. Got some serious cyano/slime going on though. I've promised myself that i wont take it down until the Kat frag, that has survived the worst, dies. Despite the issues its holding on well and is even encrusting still. Other than that i still have my clam, one gorg and fish. I really dont have much time or motivation for the tank anymore. I'm trying to come up with a plan for a very simple tank, gorgs and macros probably, but i have to get past the algae/cyano phases before i even try to do anything with this tank.

Look at slowly dosing vodka or some type of organic carbon. Also can you increase the flow?

26 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Look at slowly dosing vodka or some type of organic carbon. Also can you increase the flow?

I have a mp10 running almost 100%. I have to test phosphates and nitrates before i dose. Have a feeling its from the cycle and nutrients need to just balance out.

• Like 1

I have a large water change ready for tonight, going to change about 20ish gallons which is almost 100% change. With all of the holiday deals coming up I've been thinking about restarting and getting a new tank to change things up. Maybe it will reignite the interest for the hobby, or ill just end up wasting money on a new system. If i could just get rid of the cyano/slime and crap i probably would be fine with basic stuff like gorgs and leathers or macros.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Still alive. Tanks just... There. I don't give it the attention it needs. 

I'm thinking of starting a new tank, trying to decide what tank i want to get but id like something a bit nicer than a standard glass tank. Something rimless and with better glass quality. Trying to keep the budget modest, but cant find any dimensions i like.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Think i might be getting back in the game. Been getting the itch lately. Weddings coming up in 38 days so after that im considering a new build.

• Like 5

So my wedding is in 30 days and then we have a two week honeymoon in Moorea, French Polynesia! There is so much to do by then so I'm going to wait to rebuild until after we get back.

I think I'm leaning towards the 40b unless i find a crazy deal. My interest in the hobby has been teetering back and forth so i don't want a huge investment in the event i just ignore the tank, but at the same time, i want it to be nice enough that it doesn't make me hate the look of it. I will DIY a stand with nicer wood as its something i don't mind putting time and money into.

For now I'm trying to fight dinos/cyano and clean up my 20g. I just got my refuge back running with some chaeto to help out compete the nasties. Hoping between that and some more stringent maintenance it'll clear the tank up and help reignite my love for the reef world. All i have now is my 3 fish and my clam so the tank is extremely boring. The goal is to be able to just keep any type of coral without the dinos killing it off again. I would love to get some basic sps just to help the itch and keep some easy lps/leathers to fill it in.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Down to almost a week from the wedding. Next Saturday. Getting the tank ready for my 2 week honeymoon, luckily i don't have much in it to really make it difficult. Just need to setup a auto feeder for my fish and a bigger ATO bucket.

I think i actually got rid of my dinos, i have a ton of cyano now but its a step in the right direction. I ended up putting cheato in my sump and dumped a ton of different bottled bacteria i had left over. Not sure it will hold but one can hope. When i get back from the honeymoon ill consider the upgrade. It really depends whether the dinos are truly gone/dormant or not.

• Like 4
On 5/24/2018 at 7:22 AM, markalot said:

Good luck, have a great time on the honeymoon.  

Thanks Mark!

On 5/26/2018 at 11:30 PM, Christopher Marks said:

1 week to go @Arceomgomgomg 

Have tons of fun on the big day and especially in Moorea!

Thank you! Ill be snorkeling/diving 90% of the time hahaha.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, metrokat said:

Have a great time on the honeymoon. You'll be back in plenty of time for Reef-A-Palooza....... 😄

Thanks Kat. I wish i could go, i get back that Saturday but im sure ill be dead from the flights. You'll have to send me pics and hit me up if you find any crazy deals.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back home on Friday night. Traveling sucked but the trip was amazing. Did so much snorkeling and some underwater excursions with these awesome diving helmets. So many beautiful fish, clams, sps and more. I got to swim with black tip sharks and stingrays. Amazing time. I have so many pics/videos ill have to post one day.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Really haven't paid my tank any attention in a while. I'm so conflicted as to what i want to do. I've been thinking of setting up a 40br but my motivation is shot. I just could never take my tank down because of my clown, I'm oddly attached to it as it was literally my first fish i had gotten in my old 29g tank so its about 4 years old now. Other than the clown I still have my springers, 6 line and clam. Ever since i set up the auto fish feeder i barely even look at my tank. I usually just check it when i feed frozen every other day or so to make sure the fish are healthy and there is water in the ATO.

I was so excited to see all of the fish and coral on my honeymoon that i thought it would reignite the love for reef keeping but sadly i don't think it has.

• Like 1

Hi Justin, I have been crazy busy and sorry I missed your wedding.  Congrats though.

Don't feel bad about not feeling the passion for your tank at the moment.  Its ok to have other priorities.  Maybe on down the road when life settles down you will feel different.

I am jealous of the underwater excursions.  I love snorkling and anything that deals with swimming in a reef.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Anybody interested in my 4x24 ATI 4 puck nanobox fixture? 4x24 T5 on separate channel 4 NB pucks down the middle. Open to offers, barely used since my last tank crash.