Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arce's Tank

Arce

Went to my LFS yesterday to stock up on food and got some new rodi filters. Ended up picking up a small frag of bonsai/valida. Figure what the hell, give it a shot. Things have been getting better in the tank so lets see what happens. I wanted to get some cheap monti/slimer but he was charging way too much for basic frags of those.

• Like 4

Well the test frag didn't melt overnight so were off to a good start! We have a tentative date for closing on the 13th as of now, also the same day as my fiances birthday. As long as the seller gets his crap together we should be able to close. That means ill be moving friday/saturday which works out pretty well. Pretty much have a plan for the tank move, but first i need to install some dedicated outlets in the basement, probably going to do that saturday.

• Like 4

Were closing on Thursday! So happy it didn't push to next week. We were down to the last minute getting info and the builder finishing his CO but luckily we were able to do it in time. Going to be moving on friday/saturday, then relaxing sunday for easter at the parents. Monday i took off work as well so i can move the tank, cant wait to get that over with. The frag i bought is doing ok. Its looking stressed, not sure if its just from the acclimation to my system or something else. Well see what happens with it. 

• Like 7

I'm very tempted to toss the rock during the move. Thoughts? I would toss the main rock structure i have, the base I'm using for my clam and gorgs would probably stay. Just not sure if its worth going all new and starting fresh. Would probably cause a cycle.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Arce said:

I'm very tempted to toss the rock during the move. Thoughts? I would toss the main rock structure i have, the base I'm using for my clam and gorgs would probably stay. Just not sure if its worth going all new and starting fresh. Would probably cause a cycle.

I think it could go either way. When I had to do a reboot of my old tank, I got rid of all the old sand and most of the rock, so I effectively started over. I don't recall giving it a full cycle before I started adding things back. But I had some corals some corals on old rock to help with that initial stage. 

• Like 1

Well we closed on thursday! Moved in everything friday, unpacked and set up the house and had our family over for a pizza party friday night. Saturday we spent unpacking cleaning etc. I had to install some dedicated outlets in the basement for the fish tank so that took me some time and several trips to home depot. All in all everything turned out good with the house. I'm making rodi water now and plan to go get the tank today. I have to find a permanent solution for the rodi because there isnt a slop sink in the basement, so eventually ill install one and leave my rodi down there. Right now im stealing water from the washing machine hook up which the wifey is not happy about... Extremely tired, been a long couple of days, i have one more day off work then back to the grind. 

• Like 6

The tanks been moved. Everything went ok, a couple mishaps but all around good. I did end up blessing the new house with RODI..... I had to hook up the water to my connection for the washer since it was the easiest at the moment. Well, after a stressful past couple of days and the mess of the tank move i forgot i left it on... overnight.... Yep, had a flood of water in my basement but luckily its not finished so i just mopped it up off the concrete and all was good. The wifey wasn't happy but its whatever lol. 

• Like 7

Tanks doing good. No casualties. The fish, clam and gorgs are all good. That frag i bought was crapping out before the tank move, so far it seems happy. Its browned and some STN started but it hasnt gotten worse since the move. Could the new water source be the cure? Time will tell i guess.

• Like 3

Think i need to also get a booster pump. My water pressure through my rodi at my house is a lot less than what my old house was. Last i made water it was around 40psi. Aren't they supposed to run around 50? TDS was still zero but took me over an hour for 5 gallons. 

I've run dual membranes for years, it works great.  I adjusted the regulator coming into the house (the funny cylinder thing soon after the pipe comes into the basement)  so that house pressure is 70PSI.  So far nothing has exploded. :)

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, markalot said:

I've run dual membranes for years, it works great.  I adjusted the regulator coming into the house (the funny cylinder thing soon after the pipe comes into the basement)  so that house pressure is 70PSI.  So far nothing has exploded. :)

you have a booster on your water line coming in?

Tank is doing great so far. I did a water change last night. The bonsai frag i had gotten before i moved is coming back to life which is a really good sign. If it makes a full recovery i will probably source some other simple sps and see if things continue in the right direction. It must have been something in the water of my old house, so weird. Fingers crossed things keep going well. Looking into a booster pump for my rodi, i checked what psi it runs at last night and its barely hitting 40. Didn't realize the pumps were so expensive though. Gotta love this hobby...

• Like 3

I may pick up a booster pump as well. Mine's running at around 35PSI, and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to touch the regulator outside :P 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I may pick up a booster pump as well. Mine's running at around 35PSI, and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to touch the regulator outside :P 

35? how long does it take for u to make 5 gallons 2+ hours? At 40 psi mine was like 1.5 hours. Since my house is new construction, i was going to call the builder/water company to make sure they turned all the valves fully open. Sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised. Even at my spickets on the outside i  have low pressure so i have to see.

Just now, metrokat said:

No I don't

Not you, Mark :slap:

On 4/25/2017 at 2:57 PM, Arce said:

you have a booster on your water line coming in?

5 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I set mine up in my garage, where the only water line is an old hose faucet. I only get like 35 psi too... I should probably get a booster too!

• Like 1

I bought a booster and it helped for a while. I think I need to change my carbon filter though, cause my pressure has dropped again and it takes over an hour to make 5 gallons. 

• Like 1
Just now, kimberbee said:

I bought a booster and it helped for a while. I think I need to change my carbon filter though, cause my pressure has dropped again and it takes over an hour to make 5 gallons. 

Its probably your sediment filter, that restricts flow once it gets clogged up. They are cheap enough to have a few on hand.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Arce said:

Its probably your sediment filter, that restricts flow once it gets clogged up. They are cheap enough to have a few on hand.

Yeah, I have both, but have been too lazy to change them since my water is still coming out at 0tds. The RODI unit is under the sink in a cabinet, and I just don't wanna pull it out. 

Here's the booster I got over a year ago. REALLY easy to hook up and use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMBPNHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

Yeah, I have both, but have been too lazy to change them since my water is still coming out at 0tds. The RODI unit is under the sink in a cabinet, and I just don't wanna pull it out. 

Here's the booster I got over a year ago. REALLY easy to hook up and use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMBPNHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh thats not bad, has the flush kit integrated into it as well. Hmmm.. i do have amazon points from my credit card available... Thanks for the link!

Just now, Arce said:

Oh thats not bad, has the flush kit integrated into it as well. Hmmm.. i do have amazon points from my credit card available... Thanks for the link!

Pretty sure that's the one teenyreef uses too, as he linked it for me over a year ago :)

• Like 2

It takes me about 40 minutes to make 4 gallons atm. But I'm pretty sure the membrane on that filter was just also ruined. The new filter took around the same amount of time with two 90GPD membranes... :blush:

• Like 1