SaltCritters.com

Akaeding's Nuvo 24 build (All for sale)

akaeding

I have the maxspect razor for a light.works great and I haven't even put the 120 degree reflectors in yet. I like the fusion 30L a lot but am very happy with my 24 so far.

My next fish will be a mandarin I can't wait to get one. Just worried about training it. How was training yours?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

That's right, I forgot you were running a Maxspect, great lights from what I hear!

Never had to train my mandy, he/she was eating nurta ova from the get(LFS owner showed me before buying). I haven't tried anything else, but the mandy seems non-interested in brine or anything else. I assume this is because he/she knows the ova is coming,lol. Just ask to see if the mandy you want is taking frozen food. I believe ORA raise fish are eating frozen/non-live before they are sent out.

That's right, I forgot you were running a Maxspect, great lights from what I hear!

Never had to train my mandy, he/she was eating nurta ova from the get(LFS owner showed me before buying). I haven't tried anything else, but the mandy seems non-interested in brine or anything else. I assume this is because he/she knows the ova is coming,lol. Just ask to see if the mandy you want is taking frozen food. I believe ORA raise fish are eating frozen/non-live before they are sent out.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I heard ORA is no longer dealing in Mandarins.

I just sent them an email asking about this. Didn't realize they are only a few hours South of me.

Steensj2004

I hadn't heard that, I am not sure if mine is an ORA or not. My LFS has had him/her for some time, was only like 1/2 an inch when he got it. Ut is about 3/4-1 inch now, he may have worked to train it to eat frozen over the time he had it? I don't ask a lot about his stock...he has never been dishonest with me.

I just received a response back from ORA that in fact they DO NOT produce them anymore. He said they may in the future, but realistically it could be 2-3 years.

Steensj2004

I just received a response back from ORA that in fact they DO NOT produce them anymore. He said they may in the future, but realistically it could be 2-3 years.

Gotcha. Any idea how long they have been not selling them? This one has been in my LFS owner's personal tank for a few months....anyway, regardless of if he is an ORA he eats frozen. Akaeding, just ask if it eats frozen and ask to see it eat before buying. I still have pods EVERYWHERE, so mine is chowing down. I also plan to dose pods as needed(weekly, bi-weekly) and have set aside the budget to do so.

Gotcha. Any idea how long they have been not selling them? This one has been in my LFS owner's personal tank for a few months....anyway, regardless of if he is an ORA he eats frozen. Akaeding, just ask if it eats frozen and ask to see it eat before buying. I still have pods EVERYWHERE, so mine is chowing down. I also plan to dose pods as needed(weekly, bi-weekly) and have set aside the budget to do so.

I will have the LFS feed him for sure when I do pick one out I know where I'm going to get it already they train all of there's and I saw them eat last time I was there. Maybe this weekend I'll have to go take a look again

Steensj2004

I will have the LFS feed him for sure when I do pick one out I know where I'm going to get it already they train all of there's and I saw them eat last time I was there. Maybe this weekend I'll have to go take a look again

Best to be safe.... Even trained ones can start rejecting frozen out of nowhere. People seem to seldem have issues with feeding Nutramar Ova though, the mandys LOVE it.

Another thing is if you run a fuge or have some macro/a small rubble pile out of sight, you can dose pods in the evening with light out and hope they breed. I have a total shiza-ton in my tank for some odd reason. Looks like it is damn snowing on the glass. Now my fuge compartment has so many it is crazy. Hoping that when this bloom dies down the population will stay up. fingerscrossed

I also dose pods reguarly in my systems, seems like a good 15.00 investment once a month or so(maybe more in my small system, likely twice a month for me w/ the mandy). Lots of stuff eats em and they are great for the ecosystem.

Steensj2004

Good luck finding it...

LFS had 2 packages...bought both. Somebody ordered it a while back from him and never picked it up. I suppose I will have to overnight online when I need more...Maybe order 5 packs or something. 2 packs should last me a long time with just the one mandy....maybe

LFS had 2 packages...bought both. Somebody ordered it a while back from him and never picked it up. I suppose I will have to overnight online when I need more...Maybe order 5 packs or something. 2 packs should last me a long time with just the one mandy....maybe

Like I said... good luck finding it. There has been a nationwide outage for months.

This weekend we got two pepperment shrimp that were total assholes. They were picking at corals and irritated my acan to the point I thought they were dead. So I caught them today and took them back the the LFS Keith's coral reefs. He took them back no problem so I went ahead and got another shunk instead and the. A trumpet coral I'll post pics tomorrow.

Oh and we also got an urchin and two new hermits.

Steensj2004

This weekend we got two pepperment shrimp that were total assholes. They were picking at corals and irritated my acan to the point I thought they were dead. So I caught them today and took them back the the LFS Keith's coral reefs. He took them back no problem so I went ahead and got another shunk instead and the. A trumpet coral I'll post pics tomorrow.

Oh and we also got an urchin and two new hermits.

I've had mixed success with shrimp, but my sexies seem to be the best I have ever owned. they seem to run around on corals without really making the coral mad. I really want one of those Fire/Blood shrimp, but every LFS around here want like 45.00 for them :rolleyes: Any plans to get ahold of that Mandi Dragonet?

I've had mixed success with shrimp, but my sexies seem to be the best I have ever owned. they seem to run around on corals without really making the coral mad. I really want one of those Fire/Blood shrimp, but every LFS around here want like 45.00 for them :rolleyes: Any plans to get ahold of that Mandi Dragonet?

we have two skunk shrimp and one fire shrimp now the skunks are great there fun to watch and very active. The fire shrimp if beautiful but just kinda hangs out then will adventure out to eat once in awhile. I will be getting a mandi at some point on the next few weeks just want to find the perfect one.

i am going to dose pods and train the mandarin. also not going to get one untill the nutamar ova is back in stock

Steensj2004

How olds this tank... A mandarin?

Hope your gonna dose pods

Everyone is a critic, If you dose pods and have it eating something frozen having a Dragonet is a non-issue.

Lol just wondering

I appreciate any help I can get for sure. I will say I'm breaking laws with this tank lol. I got a maxima 4 weeks ago but so far all has been well everything is doing great.

Everyone is a critic, If you dose pods and have it eating something frozen having a Dragonet is a non-issue.

I totally agree. I have seen more people against mandarins and clams than anything else. I am of the thought process that if your tank and conditions are setup to support one, and you are willing to take the extra steps, then by all means anyone can try either of them. BUT... there is a fine line where you have to be honest with yourself and say it didn't work and get the mandarin/clam back to the LFS or someone that can care for them successfully.

Most people know and understand that clams needs good lighting and will suck the calcium up. We also know that mandarins primarily will only eat pods.Knowledge is power and also can be the key to success.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have bad news everything will be for sale soon I'm going to be posting in the f/s section with full lists. I don't want to ship livestock so anyone in the Bay Area let me know what you might want.

I hate to have to sell but am forced to due to personal reasons. Everything was bought within the last 6 month and everything works perfect

Steensj2004

Wow..... Just wow. I am really sorry man, hope you get whatever happened worked out.... Good luck, I'll pm about buying some stuff

Archived