Cultivated Reef

Akaeding's Nuvo 24 build (All for sale)

akaeding

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked the same question. I was pretty much told to run filer floss only during cycle. Then add chemi-pure and purigen. I'll be adding both to both chambers unless I learn otherwise. Seems like most 24 owners are doing that with good success.

Now on another note.. You need to be talking to the fiancé about that Apex before they are gone. :)

I wonder if I should pull out the media in mine then?? What do you guys think. Does everyone cycle with just filter floss

^^^^^ this

I'm trying to work her over ? but it's looking like Ill be getting the tunze nano ATO this week then have to wait awhile for the apex. 2014 has been rough on us already. My car was stolen new years night and then found on the side of the road with a blown motor so needless to say that's put a dent in the pocket book

Get the Apex and fill by hand a little longer. Plus, why spend the money on that when you get have apex do your top off. That's the selling point. "honey, you look so radiant tonight and so much younger. Have you lost weight? So I've been thinking, and instead of getting the ATO, we could save about $70, which I could take you out to a romantic dinner with, by having the Apex do it. And the Apex can help us do so many things that would otherwise ruin your manicure, and you are too beautiful for that" :)r If she doesn't hand the credit card over right away, don't get married to her!!! Lol ( hope she doesn't read the messages on here) ;)

I pulled the filter media out this morning and just have filter floss in now for my cycle. We're waiting for a couple weeks then going to order the apex it looks like ? then ill do a DIY ATO.

I'm using API test for my ammonia for the cycle what else should I keep an ey out to know it is complete I know I have at least 2-3 more weeks. Should I use a different brand test kit

API work ok, Salifert is what I suggest. Much more accurate and will save you much headache in the future. Additionally, while API kits work ok for now, once you get expensive corals and fish inside your tank, do you really want to risk hundreds to thousands of dollars in live animals to a sub-par test kit? Not saying you cannot get by with API, But I would aquire at least a few Salifert tests before you start stocking expensive and nice stuff that you like. There is a lot of stuff that can be fine one morning and dead in 24 hours(Acros, SPS, ETC)... Great setup BTW! Beautiful Stand!

API work ok, Salifert is what I suggest. Much more accurate and will save you much headache in the future. Additionally, while API kits work ok for now, once you get expensive corals and fish inside your tank, do you really want to risk hundreds to thousands of dollars in live animals to a sub-par test kit? Not saying you cannot get by with API, But I would aquire at least a few Salifert tests before you start stocking expensive and nice stuff that you like. There is a lot of stuff that can be fine one morning and dead in 24 hours(Acros, SPS, ETC)... Great setup BTW! Beautiful Stand!

I may get the salifert ammonia test then I was just using it to cycle.

Thanks about the stand by the way I put a lot of time into it and it's built like a rock!!

Get the Apex and fill by hand a little longer. Plus, why spend the money on that when you get have apex do your top off. That's the selling point. "honey, you look so radiant tonight and so much younger. Have you lost weight? So I've been thinking, and instead of getting the ATO, we could save about $70, which I could take you out to a romantic dinner with, by having the Apex do it. And the Apex can help us do so many things that would otherwise ruin your manicure, and you are too beautiful for that" :)r If she doesn't hand the credit card over right away, don't get married to her!!! Lol ( hope she doesn't read the messages on here) ;)

I may have her convinced on the apex. But what all can I do right now with it. Lol I know some of it but it want to tell her everything that is will help us with on the tank. I'll wait a few weeks for the ph probe and my light has all the control built in

I may have her convinced on the apex. But what all can I do right now with it. Lol I know some of it but it want to tell her everything that is will help us with on the tank. I'll wait a few weeks for the ph probe and my light has all the control built in

Did you use the lines that I gave you? ;) LOL

You can do a DIY ATO like I did which will be cheaper than buying one. You can do a DIY AWC which makes water changes so nice and easy. Not sure how your lights work, but you can set it up to turn them on and off if the controller doesn't already. You can program it to shut your lights and other things off if your tank gets too warm. You can add a light to your stand that activates when you open the doors. You can have it email/txt you based on whatever you want it to (i.e. certain temps, power failure, etc.) You can control and monitor the entire system including what is on and what is off from anywhere in the world to keep an eye on things. This can be done via the app or any internet browser. You can push a button to put it in a feed mode which shuts down whatever you choose for however long you choose. Good for feeding or maintenance. Plus I am sure there is a ton of other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. :)

Waiting on the pH probe and eve setting it all up is ok. Just don't want to lose out before they are gone was my thought. The JR is cheaper but doesn't have near the features and the full version is like $500 and has stuff you probably won't need.

Hope that helps.

Cycle is coming!! All this time waiting is making me want to order more things!! I wish Intank sold the apex I'd order everything from Stevie t if I could

Well I stopped on my way home from work and got two pieces of live rock to help seed my dry rock. I hope this gets my cycle going. I gotta give a big thank you to gsgentry for all his help.

I'll be ordering the apex this weekend and getting his help on the DIY ATO and awc like he will be doing on his tank.

Well I stopped on my way home from work and got two pieces of live rock to help seed my dry rock. I hope this gets my cycle going. I gotta give a big thank you to gsgentry for all his help.

I'll be ordering the apex this weekend and getting his help on the DIY ATO and awc like he will be doing on his tank.

You are more than welcome!! We are here to help each other! :)

Not much new to post I ordered my power head and am waiting to pull the trigger on the apex. I'm going to test later tonight to see if the live rock I added has done anything.

Waiting to pull the trigger? You are killing me bro!! Call tomorrow at least and see how many they have left. Lol I don't want you to miss out. :) Let us know on the water results.

Water test was 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate also the ph is up to 7.96 also I added the nano 425 power head today too much more water movement. I'll call marine depot tomorrow and see how many they have.

I just didn't want to put more on the card yet as I just today got my car back running since it was stolen

I don't understand testing for ammonia during a cycle, you really only need to test for nitrate...once you have it the ammonia and nitrite will be gone.

I don't understand testing for ammonia during a cycle, you really only need to test for nitrate...once you have it the ammonia and nitrite will be gone.

Correct... But if you test occasionally for ammonia, when you do get results, it just lets you know that things are finally moving along. :)

Ok I will be adding a shrimp tonight to introduce an ammonia source to my tank as I pretty much have not yet.

After the advice from gsgentry it seems like the most logical and best way to.

Also I turned on my tunze 9002 tonight to get the break in period started. And I'll tell you what it's micro bubble mania in there now lol

Enjoy 2 weeks of it!!! :)

I have very few left and the skimmer is starting to come alive now. It also seems to hold adjustment better too. Very happy with it so far. I can only imagine how it's going to perform down the road with a bio-load. On a side note, I can't stop thinking about the card lights nano skimmer and some of the skimmate pictures I've seen that thing produce. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm currently under the impression that darker is better. Guess it's just a visual reference, but looks to me like it's pulling more out!!

Sadly the pls50 by cad doesnt fit this tank

Bummer!! I've seen Nuvo 38 owners with it and wasn't sure if the rear chambers were the same size or not. Apparently not. :( I just don't like how high it stands out of the tank. But it looks like an amazing skimmer.

how much noise does everyones tunze 9002 make? also nuvo 24 owners how high do you run your water level in the back chambers?

i think mine is a little high its about 2.25 from the top and my skimmer rattles some i think but it might just be the return pump

Archived