Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calling all mantis shrimp experts

dixie reefer

There is a video explaining it all. From anatomy of their striking system to Mentis amazing eyesight and killer instinct. I will post it when I will find some time to look for it. I think they always strike with both "hammers"/spears (depending on species) based on how their spring like, striking system works.

P.S I could be wrong tho ;)

This will help in understanding them :lol:

"Imagine a color you can't even imagine. Now do that nine more times. That is how a mantis shrimp do."

"The mantis shrimp can deliver a blow with 1500 Newtons of force; which tells you what a sissy-punch Newton must of had."

The whole series is hilarious stuff.

• Like 1

So, I discovered that sea life no longer hass N. wennerae in stock. :(

wow, see what you mean, no more pics even. gee whiz. I also see they don't show the green Curacaoensis either.

I sent them a message on facebook but I dont think they get on there very often. I think I'm going to call them next week and see if they can't find me one.

I sent them a message on facebook but I dont think they get on there very often. I think I'm going to call them next week and see if they can't find me one.

Yeah, or just email them kpaquatics@kpaquatics.com.

• Like 1

Oh wow, haven't seen this one. At 2:02 the chiragra, the big green one w/ the blue wrecking balls. Just beating the living daylights out of it. Do they always hit w/ both a the same time I wonder? They seem to in this collection. Crab meat anyone?

Yes they hit with both at the same time .. and I had not seen this video yet myself although I have seen a whole number of them ...

Interesting how the Crab tries to fight back in one of the fights ... well tries is the operative word I guess ....

How can we not love these Stomatopods ?

Not sure who else would sell them but you could try LiveAquariua Maybe for do a search on the Net for Sellers Of ... (etc)

Thanks for the email!

Yes Richard can probably catch them in his backyard, given where he is located .. :)

Philipp from sea life emailed me back and said he's goin to try and find one for me. The whole purpose of me getting one from them is because I'm going to be ordering a bunch pf other stuff from them too. I have a hard time buying online because of the shipping, and buying just one thing and then paying for the over night shipping is out of the question.

Philipp from sea life emailed me back and said he's goin to try and find one for me. The whole purpose of me getting one from them is because I'm going to be ordering a bunch pf other stuff from them too. I have a hard time buying online because of the shipping, and buying just one thing and then paying for the over night shipping is out of the question.

I'm glad they responded back to ya- awesome.

• Like 1

Just a quick word on getting mentis or other shipping sensitive inverts this time of the year. According to 2 major shops here in NYC, it is quite hard and risky to order any of those during these torturous days of the winter. Depending where you live ofcause. Here in NYC, they simply don't take chances with sensitive shippment. One of my LFS seems to found one awesome looking peacock which is quite tempting. My 16g isn't ready yet and won't be for the next few weeks but I can always put a hold on him with small deposit.

As to that video, yes!!!!! It was quite a surprise to see him turn an aggression into effective defense tactics.

But as Albert, I feel it was just a matter of time for his luck to run out. However it was interesting to see how unexpected behavior, puzzled dumbfounded mentis.

Just curious, why did you choose wennerae over others?

Reason I ask is that eventho I love appearance of peacock mentis, I fear that 16G long might be a bit small to give him a home he will feel comfortable in...... Any thoughts????

• Like 2

Just a quick word on getting mentis or other shipping sensitive inverts this time of the year. According to 2 major shops here in NYC, it is quite hard and risky to order any of those during these torturous days of the winter. Depending where you live ofcause. Here in NYC, they simply don't take chances with sensitive shippment. One of my LFS seems to found one awesome looking peacock which is quite tempting. My 16g isn't ready yet and won't be for the next few weeks but I can always put a hold on him with small deposit.

As to that video, yes!!!!! It was quite a surprise to see him turn an aggression into effective defense tactics.

But as Albert, I feel it was just a matter of time for his luck to run out. However it was interesting to see how unexpected behavior, puzzled dumbfounded mentis.

Reason I ask is that eventho I love appearance of peacock mentis, I fear that 16G long might be a bit small to give him a home he will feel comfortable in...... Any thoughts????

eeek 16g is much too small for an adult peacock! I would do 30g min for a peacock mantis you plan to keep its entire lifespan aka one that is full grown or will grow.

I feel my 20g Long is too small for my peacock once she gets bigger and have already picked up a 45g for her. Mine is very active and will use the entire tank. I can't imagine her trying to move in a 16g if she was 6 inches long. She runs all over her tank.

I have 'heard' of peacocks busting out of tanks too small for them due to being confined and the thin glass. Not sure if this is true or not but Ivy did walk up and punch the glass a few times one day to get my attention.

• Like 2

eeek 16g is much too small for an adult peacock! I would do 30g min for a peacock mantis you plan to keep its entire lifespan aka one that is full grown or will grow.

I feel my 20g Long is too small for my peacock once she gets bigger and have already picked up a 45g for her. Mine is very active and will use the entire tank. I can't imagine her trying to move in a 16g if she was 6 inches long. She runs all over her tank.

I have 'heard' of peacocks busting out of tanks too small for them due to being confined and the thin glass. Not sure if this is true or not but Ivy did walk up and punch the glass a few times one day to get my attention.

That's what I was afraid to hear. And something I kind of sensed based on what I have read. Even if I decided to keep him in 16g long short term, I am afraid that it would stressed him quite a bit. I think that it will be best to opt for one of smaller species or just wait and setup 40 breeder for peacock ........ Which can get quite big and active from what I have seen. thanks for heads up ;)

• Like 2

I chose that one because I figured they are better suited for the size tank that I have available and they are hardy and active. It is not the one I want most bit figured its a good "starter" mantis.

• Like 1
I chose that one because I figured they are better suited for the size tank that I have available and they are hardy and active. It is not the one I want most bit figured its a good "starter" mantis.

Seems like we are on the same boat. I am setting up 16g tank for my living room and smaller species are what will work in this setup. I really love peacock but they do grow quite large and 16g might be just too small.

Looking forward to pics of your new little assassin ;)

• Like 2
I have the 20g long divided but these oerstedeii only get to 2.75 inches so they'll remain small.

That is more like it. Peacock I saw in my LFS was about 3.5-4" already. And I am quite sure it will get a lot bigger then that. Amazing colors and personality tho.

• Like 1

Seems like we are on the same boat. I am setting up 16g tank for my living room and smaller species are what will work in this setup. I really love peacock but they do grow quite large and 16g might be just too small. Looking forward to pics of your new little assassin ;)

I recently got my peacock/clown and he is in a 27g right now. Soon it will be relaxing in a 40 breeder though. It is about 4".

• Like 3

I recently got my peacock/clown and he is in a 27g right now. Soon it will be relaxing in a 40 breeder though. It is about 4".

Indeed, except for the small species, most others grow fairly large and need a large tank even if it would seem that a small one would be OK. We may put sizable fish in smaller aquariums, and that may work although not recommended, with Mantis Shrimp that does not work based on all the reports one can find of Hobbyists who have issues when the aquarium is not properly sized ....

Larger in the case of most Stomatopods is definitely better IMO

• Like 2

Indeed, except for the small species, most others grow fairly large and need a large tank even if it would seem that a small one would be OK. We may put sizable fish in smaller aquariums, and that may work although not recommended, with Mantis Shrimp that does not work based on all the reports one can find of Hobbyists who have issues when the aquarium is not properly sized ....

Aside from pure biological needs my rule of thumb has always been that the more intelligent the animal then the more space I should give it. These guys are either very intelligent or extremely good at faking it. ;) Considering their advanced eyesight I assume it's the former.

• Like 2

What size tank would you recommend for Peacock Mentis shrimp Albert? And are there any preferences as far as shape of the tank, such as length, height and depth? If I setup a tank like that I would probably use deep sand bed and a lot of rock rubble. Not sure if I would do all reef scheme but I was thinking of gorgs, sponges and rock nems as a main focus point.

What size tank would you recommend for Peacock Mentis shrimp Albert? And are there any preferences as far as shape of the tank, such as length, height and depth? If I setup a tank like that I would probably use deep sand bed and a lot of rock rubble. Not sure if I would do all reef scheme but I was thinking of gorgs, sponges and rock nems as a main focus point.

30 gallons is about the smallest tank you would want to do for a peacock, and you'll need a really good filtration system to make that work well. Most people find 40 breeders to be a reasonable and economical (Petco dollar/gallon sale) option for a full grown O. Scyllarus. Take a look at my new Nuvo 30 O. Scyllarus tank for some ideas: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335587-islandoftikis-nuvo-30-peacock-mantis-tank/

• Like 3

30 gallons is about the smallest tank you would want to do for a peacock, and you'll need a really good filtration system to make that work well. Most people find 40 breeders to be a reasonable and economical (Petco dollar/gallon sale) option for a full grown O. Scyllarus. Take a look at my new Nuvo 30 O. Scyllarus tank for some ideas: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335587-islandoftikis-nuvo-30-peacock-mantis-tank/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335587-islandoftikis-nuvo-30-peacock-mantis-tank/

Thanks, and I will def check it out. I was thinking about putting one in 20g fuge of my 20g long but I don't think that's going to work. Other option would be dedicated 40b from petco or custom tank that I would have to build just for that purpose. I would also have to do a little more homework on corals variations that do not require intense lighting. NFS gorgs, sponges, sun coral and similar. I hear that Mentis shrimps are light sensitive and that as well as water quality would be my priority in setting this thing up.

• Like 3