Coral Vue Hydros

Calling all mantis shrimp experts

dixie reefer

These are awesome animals and very intrigued by them. Hopefully one of these days I'll setup another tank for one. It looks like you are doing a great setting up the tank so that it is put into a good environment. The one question I have, why is it that the majority we see are smashers? I kinda dig the spearers. Are the too expensive? Hard too get? Too fragile? Haven't done much research, but if I do decide to set something up, I certainly will.

These are awesome animals and very intrigued by them. Hopefully one of these days I'll setup another tank for one. It looks like you are doing a great setting up the tank so that it is put into a good environment. The one question I have, why is it that the majority we see are smashers? I kinda dig the spearers. Are the too expensive? Hard too get? Too fragile? Haven't done much research, but if I do decide to set something up, I certainly will.

I don't know why you don't hear as much about spearers. Your right. There's one shrimp listed on KP/Sealife Site that is solely a spearer- Pseudosquilla ciliata and it's common in the Keys says the descriiption.

• Like 2

Majority of mantis shrimp are actually spearing type (in the wild that is) but we don't see them too often. I THINK it is because they are ambush predators and when I see pictures of them in their natural habitat, they are in deep sand burrows and not live rock. I guess that would mean, if a lot of mantises get imported with live rock... then it would be mostly smashers. That's just my best guess anyways.

I would agree with dixie, I believe they would be more reclusive so it can "ambush" the fishies!

uhhh? peek-a-boo!

spearer-in-action.jpg

• Like 3

I heard that spearers are more reclusive than smashers. I'm getting a smasher because I want one that wonders around and is active.

There we go! now we know why! They're probably out there but because everyone wants the noise we hear more about the smashers, just the awe that goes with them.

Majority of mantis shrimp are actually spearing type (in the wild that is) but we don't see them too often. I THINK it is because they are ambush predators and when I see pictures of them in their natural habitat, they are in deep sand burrows and not live rock. I guess that would mean, if a lot of mantises get imported with live rock... then it would be mostly smashers. That's just my best guess anyways.

I would agree with dixie, I believe they would be more reclusive so it can "ambush" the fishies!

uhhh? peek-a-boo!

spearer-in-action.jpg

Holy Crap! UM...yeah. Bye bye. Those arms look as long as praying mantis.

Where can I find studies on mantis shrimp sone by Dr. Roy?

Here is a very general one

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

and here is another one but there are plenty more

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/9rm208j9#page-1

And check Dr. Sheila Patek's site too

http://www.thepateklab.org/mechanics-movement-mantis-shrimp

• Like 2

I don't know why you don't hear as much about spearers. Your right. There's one shrimp listed on KP/Sealife Site that is solely a spearer- Pseudosquilla ciliata and it's common in the Keys says the descriiption.

Probably because the larger ones are harder to keep because you need real deep sand beds and of course you need to provide a totally different kind of food for them

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

I've really only seen P. ciliata & L. maculata offered in the trade. Other spearers are pretty rare. Lmac's are pretty reclusive but Dr. Roy's setup with the viewable burrow sounds awesome.

I have one with 2 damsels......and i can hand feed mine :lol:

You are a brave man... after seeing an article about a man who had to have his finger amputated after being stabbed by a mantis due to a bacteria that didn't respond to antibiotics.... yaaaa.... scary!

My guys charge the food and open up with a hard hitting thwack. Sounds like yours is laid back!

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

You are a brave man... after seeing an article about a man who had to have his finger amputated after being stabbed by a mantis due to a bacteria that didn't respond to antibiotics.... yaaaa.... scary!

My guys charge the food and open up with a hard hitting thwack. Sounds like yours is laid back!

Brave indeed. I always fed mine with feeding sticks.

My two fed like yours do - charge and then whack, whack, whack! I used wooden skewers and had to replace them every now and then cause they'd really beat up the tip with all that whacking.

• Like 1

Just saw this guy pop up and remembered seeing this thread earlier today: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=214133

Nice price but who really wants a damaged Peacock ? Especially the tail by which I assume they mean the Telson although they do not specify, and at that size it is not going to molt often and end up with an undamaged one .. just saying ...

• Like 1

IDC about the damaged tail but I like small ones! They had a 2 inch peacock on DD not too long ago. I wanted it but then I'll end up turning into a crazy mantis lady....

• Like 1

Oops. You aren't supposed to feed spearers by hand? I figured them to be safer to hand feed than smashers. It's a good way to make them not afraid of you if they know you bring food. Mine has already stopped hiding when I walk into the room