SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

Weird, I've seen them move on the rock they're on but never across to another rock even, much less a wall or try to climb out. You have one that's on fire!!!!! Wonder why it's running.

• 3 weeks later...

How has the growth been with the nanobox on your tank? I am thinking of switching over to the nano box on my SpecV.

Growth has been great with nanobox light. I highly recommend it for Spec V. Great spread, great coverage. Controller is awesome. I got a frag of clove polyps that went from 4 to 10 polyps in 2 weeks. Zoa frags also grew alot. Acan frag went from 6 heads to 10 heads one night.

• Like 1

Holy crap! Is the light dimmed at all? If so I would like to know your exact settings so after I order and receive mine from Dave I know exactly the range I should be tuning into. Thanks for the reply! Tank looks awesome by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap! Is the light dimmed at all? If so I would like to know your exact settings so after I order and receive mine from Dave I know exactly the range I should be tuning into. Thanks for the reply! Tank looks awesome by the way.

the light is dimmed alot. since the light is right over the rock, i didn't want to burn whatever is underneath it. i think i posted my settings for this light already on Dave's thread about nanobox settings.

i been getting a lot of PMs about nanobox. glad this little tank is driving some business for Dave =P. will have to update with new pics soon when it recovers from the recent crash.

• Like 3

You do have setting posted for a nano box, just the one for your PicO S III. : )

Yea, I have been incredibly excited for the nano box to come in...... soon!

What's your current livestock, aside from the Rock Flower?

Both my tanks crashed so only clove polyps and some zoas left in there. Rock anemone gone, torch gone, frogspawn gone, duncan gone, 10 rics gone, everything gone...

But things are looking better and I will restock soon.

• Like 3

Glad you're staying with it. One day here the 3rd quarter of the year I'll be going to visit my sister right over the boarder in Indiana and have family in the south suburbs of Chicago, I'll have to make it down that way and see what the Chicago lfs are like.

• Like 1

Good luck with the tanks and restocking. This hobby is so frustrating. As a first time reefer who has yet to buy a single coral, I've realized how much is out of your control when you introduce nature (live rock) into your tank. It's just a random shot in the dark, and from what I've read, most hobbyists do not have good luck with this stuff we take out of the ocean. There are so many pests and nuisances, yet also many rewards. Sorry... Just thinking out loud! Glad you're sticking with it. I'd do the same, as I'm about to, having already encountered Bryopsis and probably phosphate issues...

• Like 1
treborzelev

Both my tanks crashed so only clove polyps and some zoas left in there. Rock anemone gone, torch gone, frogspawn gone, duncan gone, 10 rics gone, everything gone...

But things are looking better and I will restock soon.

Hey what do u think led to both of your tanks crashing?

• Like 1
ninjamyst

Hey what do u think led to both of your tanks crashing?

For my 12 gallons, it was probably multiple issues. I suspect a detritus build up caused a slow decline in the overall water quality. I was battling algae and SPS turning brown. Then I had an infestation of zoa eating nudibranch. I dosed FWE a bunch of times and that probably screwed up the water chemistry even more. I lost a new rock anemone which may have released bad stuff into the water. Then lost my ultra nice lobo. Then I went on vacation and came back to almost all my SPS gone, all LPS pissed up, and zoas all closed up. But after back to back to back large water changes, things are looking great now.

For this Spec, it got hit with a big algae bloom while I was gone. Came back to all my rics melting and LPS melting. I did an almost 60% water change which was a big mistake because that caused a huge swing in phosphate and nitrate level. That caused more stuff to die. But now, things are looking better again.

Here are some recent pics. Will get a FTS another day. My rice cooker in the background was looking ugly =P.

Zoas are opening up again! Lost a couple of frags.

https://flic.kr/p/nuoXgd'>14104832382_3fd8e8f099_z.jpg

Some acans from Saltcritters.

https://flic.kr/p/nuoaC8'>14104678851_255e2173bf_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/nuoWpy'>14104829502_7b6b45d968_z.jpg

Clove polyps on backwall. Sorry the pics are fuzzy for these. Hard to get a good angle. Water refraction makes everything blurry.

https://flic.kr/p/nsCbDA'>14084780876_871c20d8e6_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/ndbjcG'>13921302430_14fe4c0c7a_z.jpg

• Like 3
ninjamyst

I forgot to mention that I finally gave up on trying to fix the algae bloom with just water change. This morning, I took the entire rock out and scrubbed the crap out of it with some H202. Things look soooo much better now. I missed a few spots so I hope the algae doesn't spread again.

• Like 2
NanoClown

Wow I love the new acan as well as the clove polyps growing on your back wall. I hope to do the same thing in my Spec V with Xenia. and GSP :wub:

• Like 1

Bro your corals look so freakin good! I hope part of that success is the Tide lol. I had no idea cloves branched out like that. Looks awesome. Something to think about. Is it the blue snowflakes or something you want to avoid cause they'll take over the tank? I read that somewhere idk. I'm glad you stuck with it, I was bummed when you said you were throwin in the towel. Great pics

• Like 1

The cloves are beautiful! I didn't know they branched like that. Wish I could find some near me, I want to do the exact same thing with them on my back wall.

• Like 1
ninjamyst

Cloves grow like weed. I started with just 5 polyps and now they are almost at the water line. I should have placed them lower. There are several kinds of clove polyps. This is my fav with the orange arms.

Is it the blue snowflakes or something you want to avoid cause they'll take over the tank? I read that somewhere idk. I'm glad you stuck with it, I was bummed when you said you were throwin in the towel. Great pics

Maybe blue snowflakes are Xenia? Many people consider xenia, cloves, and GSP as invasive because they will take of the tank. That's why I don't put them on my main rocks and only on the backwall. And I am really glad I stuck with it too.

• Like 3