Cultivated Reef

Ninja's Fluval Spec V ~ Bye ~

ninjamyst

dooo it. this tank is so easy once i went bare bottom.

it soooooo tempting. I just already have my main 50g which is my baby and will be setting up a macro tank at my girlfriends. A third tank is just ahhhh. I would make it an RFA tank in a heartbeat with sexy shrimp.

It is a time and money distribution concern haha.

ninjamyst

it soooooo tempting. I just already have my main 50g which is my baby and will be setting up a macro tank at my girlfriends. A third tank is just ahhhh. I would make it an RFA tank in a heartbeat with sexy shrimp.

It is a time and money distribution concern haha.

naw, only 5 gallons dude! A RFA tank with sexy shrimp will be awesome and low maintenance. Just change 1 gallon of water a week. You dont have to care much about lighting or flow. Drop in a bag of Chemipure Blue and you are done.

• Like 1

naw, only 5 gallons dude! A RFA tank with sexy shrimp will be awesome and low maintenance. Just change 1 gallon of water a week. You dont have to care much about lighting or flow. Drop in a bag of Chemipure Blue and you are done.

Yes this is true. Its more about location and $$. It would be in my bedroom and I am never there because I hangout in the living room with my 50g. I probably will just hold off for while :( awesome tank though!

• 3 weeks later...
EquinsuOcha

Do you dose this little tank? How often water change!!!

As always awesome tank ninja!

Ps getting my reefer soon

Room view. The white tank matches the rest of my furnitures =).

25319194933_89a8628b90_c.jpg

I have lots of GSP so check for the weed corals.

That sounds pretty good but the one maxi mini has almost taken over the entire rock. Maybe I will add some white spotted anemone shrimps.

Too small for euphylia. I have a small frogspawn in here now for the clown to host. Poccilpora is SPS right? Not sure if I want to go that route...

You would want 10 gallons for a clown but this guy been with me 2.5 years now and he's not going anywhere =P. He should be fine in the 5 gallon since the Spec is very long.

Holy awesome house, batman!

Yup, I'm hijacking. Can I do sexy shrimp AND porcelain anemone crabs in the same tank?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gilly's Reef

What's the diff between evo 5 and spec v??? They look identical last time I checked.

New light that supposably has better par readings. Should be much better for the softies. I just ordered one and gets here tomorrow. I will have a thread on it, along with youtube videos.

• Like 1

I've got an itch that only a new FTS of this tank will scratch! How's it doing this summer ninjamyst?

planning to reboot it or something =P....

New light that supposably has better par readings. Should be much better for the softies. I just ordered one and gets here tomorrow. I will have a thread on it, along with youtube videos.

let me know when you get that thread started

Holy awesome house, batman!

thanks =). we used that dining table twice in the 8 months we been here...hahahah.

• Like 3

Spent all night taking everything out of the tank to add back sand =). Water super cloudy and all the corals pissed off as hell and sliming constantly. Added some Matrix biomedia from the big tank to help seed the new sand. I should have just taken sand from the big tank. Doh. Hope I dont wake up to a nuked tank. I also left the rock out for 30 mins hoping the maxi mini will detach itself. But nope. Stubborn anemone.

27435544603_2a74331d85_z.jpg

• Like 4

Was the bare bottom getting boring? lol

yea, and coraline algae on the bottom of the tank just looked ugly.

came home to frogspawn and acan gone....damn....making water now for another water change

myarmolich

yea, and coraline algae on the bottom of the tank just looked ugly.

came home to frogspawn and acan gone....damn....making water now for another water change

D:

not sure whether to like the post for the update or dislike for the news haha

• Like 1

D:

not sure whether to like the post for the update or dislike for the news haha

yea, sucks. BUT I am not too heart broken as I love the sand already. I shoould have just used sand from my big tank instead of dry sand from the garage....

I think the crash may also be because I took out the rock and vacuum all the gunk under it and also vacuum out the side filter chamber. Just too much change at once. Sigh. Noob mistake.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Yeah, I tried bare bottom for a moment in the 8g Evolve before I took it down and didn't like it. I also think there's less stability that way. And I miss the good critters in the sand.

yea, sucks. BUT I am not too heart broken as I love the sand already. I shoould have just used sand from my big tank instead of dry sand from the garage....

I think the crash may also be because I took out the rock and vacuum all the gunk under it and also vacuum out the side filter chamber. Just too much change at once. Sigh. Noob mistake.

I changed sand in my 4g once. I pulled everything but the sand out and put it in a bucket with the old water. Then I dumped out the old sand and cleaned the whole tank.

I put everything back with new "live" sand, and didn't have any problems. Looks like I had beginner's luck :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I changed sand in my 4g once. I pulled everything but the sand out and put it in a bucket with the old water. Then I dumped out the old sand and cleaned the whole tank.

I put everything back with new "live" sand, and didn't have any problems. Looks like I had beginner's luck :rolleyes:

you got the magic touch! I did a 3 gallon water change yesterday. Thats like 80% and things dont look any better this morning. Hmm....I wonder what really caused this then. The sand has been sitting in garage for 6 months now and I rinsed it pretty good. Two other explanations:

1. I used new bucket of salt

2. I razored off some palys and brushed with H202 while the rock was out. I remember my 12g had the same paly and when I dipped the paly in H202 and put it back in the tank, the 12g had a mini crash too. Damn...maybe it's the nuclear paly....

Zoas are opened back up. GSP opened back up. Rics still look pissed. Gorgonians look pissed. And that's all that is left...

Also added two small banggai cardinal as observation QT for a couple of weeks before adding to big tank. One is not eating though =(.

• Like 1

I love seeing progress on this Spec, the first tank I ever saw way back from the first time I ever googled "nano saltwater tank".

Hope the Banggai eats soon!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still Alive =). Love having sand in here again. Lots of zoa frags on the sandbed that I need to glue back onto the rock soon. Been lazy. Also busted my wrist so can't do much.

28442031465_738a1e1b80_z.jpg

Maxi-Maxi anemone still a menace. I think it ate the small banggai that wasn't doing well.

28159147310_21cc5bdf3a_z.jpg

Used to be colorless. After surviving the mini crash, it turned yellow =).

27826002813_6ae54edb4c_z.jpg

• Like 9