Innovative Marine Aquariums

what ive learned

tetraodon

From what ive learned clams need intense lighting but I also will need disolved nutrients for it to balance out, since I dont have fish and feed my coral spairingly ill need to add suppliments to my water, so in addition to the seachem reef energy, im going to dose phytoplankton either in the tank or put the clam in a bowl with some phyto. As for my light, its not powerful enough so I got ahold of a 3watt solar flare 6,5k to help give some more light until my reefbreeder value fixture gets here. The clam will be 2-3 inches below the surface while the current lights will be 2-3 inches above, eventually everything will be going into a 20l. As for water my ammonia and nitrite are zero, temp is 78, S.G is 1.023, nitrates around 5, calc is 380-400, I dont have a test kit for mag or alk so im not sure. The clam is a aquacultured maxima from tue coco islands and has been in the dealers tank for 2 plus months. Am I missing anything?

From what ive learned clams need intense lighting but I also will need disolved nutrients for it to balance out, since I dont have fish and feed my coral spairingly ill need to add suppliments to my water, so in addition to the seachem reef energy, im going to dose phytoplankton either in the tank or put the clam in a bowl with some phyto. As for my light, its not powerful enough so I got ahold of a 3watt solar flare 6,5k to help give some more light until my reefbreeder value fixture gets here. The clam will be 2-3 inches below the surface while the current lights will be 2-3 inches above, eventually everything will be going into a 20l. As for water my ammonia and nitrite are zero, temp is 78, S.G is 1.023, nitrates around 5, calc is 380-400, I dont have a test kit for mag or alk so im not sure. The clam is a aquacultured maxima from tue coco islands and has been in the dealers tank for 2 plus months. Am I missing anything?

HMmmm....without fish you will definitely need to feed every day. Now Phyto is a good food, but in all honesty it is not the best. My guess is you will need some super foods that are much higher in fatty acids and protein, such as golden pearls 5 - 50 microns, or Kent Microvert. Selcon is good too. These are VERY heavy foods, so use cautiously and monitor water quallity for excessive nitrates over 10 ppm.

I did use micro vert but I had quality issues but ive got a fuge so pick some more up, how does everything else look?

i think it will be fine as long as you upgrade your light asap, and keep the clam as high as you can, like you said. WHy dont you get atleast one fish in there, even a couple of cheap chromis or something. I think that would really help.

• 2 months later...
mechishark7

I just started an Evolve 2 soft coral tank, my first SW, and I would like to put a clam in it down the road so I figured I'd look into clam posts a bit, could you post an update on this?

duncan-junkie

When you raise your salinity, do it slowly....like over a few weeks, that way nothing gets too stressed out. You could also look into some Reef Chili from BRS. Got's all sorts of goodies in it for filter feeders and various corals.

I just started an Evolve 2 soft coral tank, my first SW, and I would like to put a clam in it down the road so I figured I'd look into clam posts a bit, could you post an update on this?

sure, my clam is doing great, ive got good mantle extention, almost a quarter inch of new growth, so id say im pleased, id look at reefbreeder for lights, their par38 or the nano lite, i also have a fuge, so that lets me put more bioload on the tank,

• 3 weeks later...

HMmmm....without fish you will definitely need to feed every day. Now Phyto is a good food, but in all honesty it is not the best. My guess is you will need some super foods that are much higher in fatty acids and protein, such as golden pearls 5 - 50 microns, or Kent Microvert. Selcon is good too. These are VERY heavy foods, so use cautiously and monitor water quallity for excessive nitrates over 10 ppm.

Are Reef-Roids and similar products good for clams?

Are Reef-Roids and similar products good for clams?

Sure!!! Actually any food is beneficial for clams, even if the clams dont eat it. The funny thing is when you broadcast feed, your clams probably benefit more from the food particles that get stuck In your sandbed or media reactor and rot and leach organics, then they do from the 1% of the food that actually made it inside the clam! But to directly answer your question, they can consume reef roids. Yes.

Sure!!! Actually any food is beneficial for clams, even if the clams dont eat it. The funny thing is when you broadcast feed, your clams probably benefit more from the food particles that get stuck In your sandbed or media reactor and rot and leach organics, then they do from the 1% of the food that actually made it inside the clam! But to directly answer your question, they can consume reef roids. Yes.

interesting, broadcast feeding is something I do a lot of, glad to know the clam enjoys it too and not just the 4 hungry mandarins.

Archived