Innovative Marine Aquariums

Disappearing Fish thread

Shabadoo

Just post stories of fish that went Houdini and escaped, or simply disappeared from your tank. I'll start:

After going on vacation for a week, I came back and my clown was no where to be seen. Parameters were fine, and nothing was in there that could eat it. There was no sign of a jump either!

Also, when I got my high fin red banded goby, he disappeared for about 4 months. I thought he had died, until he simply appeared one day, and never hid from me again!

I had both a Hi-Fin and Yellow Watchman Goby in my 75 Gallon display. They both loved to ride the overflow down into the 38 gallon sump to bathe in Pods. I would reguarly have to remove them from the sump and place them back into the display. I used a raised plenum sandbed in my sump. They disappeared for about 2 months, I was never able to find them. I broke down the system and sold it to a guy near Richmond. He came and picked the system up and that was that. About a week later he asked if I had ever lost any fish, they had reappeared in the sump. Even after breaking the entire system down they must have been in the sump somewhere. I am pretty amazed. I had spent weeks searching for them in the sump,lol.

My Xmas wrasse dissappeared right before Xmas. I had him about 7 years and then one day he didn't eat with the rest of the fish and I knew he was gone. Didn't carpet surf just died of an unknown ailment (old age?) He was pretty big when I got him and HUGE the last time I saw him.

Rollermonkey

Dracula Gobies.

The first jumped from QT, and I did find it after about twenty minutes of searching. He must have been hungry, because the body was stuck to a food package that I moved three times looking for the body.

The second survived QT and hid in the DT for a few months before she started getting bold enough to peek her head out when I was looking. Eventually it got pushed out of its cave by my brittle star, and found the pistol. For a couple weeks they did their thing, but I've never seen her again, even during a tank move.

My Helfrichi completely disappear without a trace. I looked everywhere, plumbing, rocks, carpet, pumps, filter socks. Completely disappeared... I have a hunch the poor guy got caught in my mp10 and my CUC got to him before I was concerned. I never had good luck with firefish.

I had a yellow watchman and two spot goby disappear overnight (later found out that the brittle sea star had eaten them for lunch, needless to say he was removed) but since then I had my fire goby vanish into thin air, even dredged the sand and found nothing, I later replaced him, and not a month after arriving the second fire goby vanished. still no clue where either of them went, its an AIO with a screen cover so they must have just died and been eaten by the CUC before I checked in the morning. Seems suspicious that I found no remains though, since I found the dead body of a royal gramma that had not traveled well.

Rollermonkey

^I honestly think my brittle ate the 2nd Drac. It (the star) was constantly getting attacked by the pistol, so I think it may have just gotten hold of the goby at some point.

My Helfrichi completely disappear without a trace. I looked everywhere, plumbing, rocks, carpet, pumps, filter socks. Completely disappeared... I have a hunch the poor guy got caught in my mp10 and my CUC got to him before I was concerned. I never had good luck with firefish.

Aw, that's a shame. My Helfrichi loves playing in the current of my MP10.

^I honestly think my brittle ate the 2nd Drac. It (the star) was constantly getting attacked by the pistol, so I think it may have just gotten hold of the goby at some point.

yeah I checked after, and there was a mysterious fish shaped lump in the main disk of the brittle star.

About 6 months after I setup my 100 gallon I lost most of my fish.

At the time I had a Clownfish Pair, Flame, and a Goby.

3 of the 4 went missing within a month window.

Still have no idea where they went, my best guess is that they would get stuck in my rock-work.

I lost my first tailspot blenny after I switched to more powerful koralias (before my MP10). He got scared and disappeared. No body, no jumper... I suspect the nassarius dined on him.

I think the only fish I ever "lost" was a hi fin goby. My third one I think. First jumped, second just didn't make it very long, third vanished. I never saw it again after putting it in the tank.

Archived