Pod Your Reef

All my snails keep dying...

SeriousRX

Need help please.

So I have had my tank for a little over a month now. I have checked the water a few times and everything seems to be in good order.

I had my first diatom bloom I think that's what it is from everything I have read on here. It was brown and everywhere. So I went ahead and got two turbo snails and astrea snails. When I put them in my tank they immediately closed up and died a few days later. Never moved once after I put them in my tank.

I did my weekly water change and after that the brown started going away and I got this nice green and red looking Alage.

0069B273-D8AA-4931-92E1-CDBFAE70151F.jpg

So checked my water again. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate pretty much 0. So I tried again. I got a Green Chronis and a Margarita snail. The snail immediately closed up and has not moved yet. I found the Chronis dead this morning with my hermit crabs all over it.

Oh so. I have had hermit crabs in the tank since day one. I put them in before my live rock or anything bc I has misinformed at my LFS. But they have all survived except one. I have 1 red leg hermit. 3 regular ones and 3 blue leg hermit and they are all fine. I feed them little pellets every other day or so.

I don't know what to do now or what am I missing... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

056032DD-AD1D-4B26-83F5-FA609E4B7FE9.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bennihanna87

Did you acclimate? Whats your pH? How long has the LR been in the tank, because you may have a cycle going on..? I assume you mean green chromis, they are as hardy as they come. If you have a test kit you might want to get your water tested somewhere else to see if your kit is off. Your LFS could have diseased livestock...

MyLiquidBlue29BC

+1 on the pH. My guess is that your pH might be low. I read your build thread and it doesn't look like you have anything for water circulation except the return pump. I had low pH in my BioCube until I added a third pump and pointed at the surface.

Also, what is your salinity?

Yes I did acclimate. I do not have a drip tube thing but I let the bag sit in the tank for 15min. I added water every 10 mins until there was more my tank water than the water that was in the bag to begin with. I also checked my phosphate the first time when I had the brown alage or diatoms and it was ok as well.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Yes I did acclimate. I do not have a drip tube thing but I let the bag sit in the tank for 15min. I added water every 10 mins until there was more my tank water than the water that was in the bag to begin with. I also checked my phosphate the first time when I had the brown alage or diatoms and it was ok as well.

PH and phosphates are not the same thing.

You might want to read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

My salinity is 1.025 - 1.026 last time I checked after the water change.

Oh so I do need aquarium circulator already? I am saving now to buy one...

I was thinking about the Hydor Koralia Nano 240. Do you think this one would be ok?

I figure my tank is not very big so...

PH and phosphates are not the same thing.

You might want to read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Thank you. I will go home and re-check everything today. I appreciate the advice. I will report back afterwards.

but is it weird that the hermit crabs are doing just fine while the snails keep dying? I guess hermit crabs are just that hearty?

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I was thinking about the Hydor Koralia Nano 240. Do you think this one would be ok?

I have two 400 gph Koralias in my 29 BioCube. You might want to do two of the 240s or one 425. Check out what other people are running in their 14s by looking through the build threads. Water movement is really important to a reef tank.

Thank you. I will go home and re-check everything today. I appreciate the advice. I will report back afterwards.

but is it weird that the hermit crabs are doing just fine while the snails keep dying? I guess hermit crabs are just that hearty?

Hermits are pretty indestructible...very hardy and adaptable. I put 3 in my tank when my pH was WAY low and they were fine. Snails are more sensitive to water quality.

Do you have a heater and thermometer? I don't see mention of one on your build thread, which is why I'm asking.

BustytheSnowMaam

I would say it's probably the source of your snails that's the problem. Try buying them from a different source. Most snails we see in tanks are intertidal creatures and generally pretty tough, it's not necessary to acclimate them or worry too much about tank conditions.

My other .02 would be to avoid turbos- they're big and will knock things over.

Reefcleaners is a great place to buy snails from. They have quick crews available by tanks size. They seem to always send more than is listed, so order a size down or split the order with a friend. They are also a sponsor here, so it's a win for everyone. Follow their acclimation instructions as well.

Rainbowunicorn

Ok First of all it's so not your fault. I had the same thing happen with 2 chromis and a clown, it seamed like everything I put in my tank was dying, come to find out it was the shady pet store i was buying them from that was the problem... So I went to Petco and to this day everything i have bought there has not died. For some reason LFS that order fish from time to time just never work....Idk what the deal is.

First time I got 2 turbo snails and 2 astrea snails from Petco they all died...

This time I went to my LFS for the chromis and the margarita snail. The snail has not died yet but it has not moved since being in the tank...

All the other snails except one closed on and died. One of the turbos did move around for like 15 min on a rock and then closed up and died...

I think it might be my fault...I def need to re-check everything and figure out what is going on.

I feel bad for these little guys. :(

Go with a larger pump.. 240 sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Keep an eye on our hardware section for used pumps. It is a great way to save some $.

Margarita snails are cool-water snails and have shortened lifespans at reef temps however they don't die overnight or anything so something is definitely up.

Where did the rock and tank come from? I'm just wondering if theres any possibility something was exposed to medication such as copper that may be leeching into the tank.

I have two 400 gph Koralias in my 29 BioCube. You might want to do two of the 240s or one 425. Check out what other people are running in their 14s by looking through the build threads. Water movement is really important to a reef tank.

Hermits are pretty indestructible...very hardy and adaptable. I put 3 in my tank when my pH was WAY low and they were fine. Snails are more sensitive to water quality.

Do you have a heater and thermometer? I don't see mention of one on your build thread, which is why I'm asking.

Yup I have a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50 Watt my water temp is usually around 78.

Go with a larger pump.. 240 sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Keep an eye on our hardware section for used pumps. It is a great way to save some $.

Margarita snails are cool-water snails and have shortened lifespans at reef temps however they don't die overnight or anything so something is definitely up.

Where did the rock and tank come from? I'm just wondering if theres any possibility something was exposed to medication such as copper that may be leeching into the tank.

So if I get a better water pump will I still need to get the 240? because I would rather not get one of those things if I can avoid it so my tank does not look cluttered..

My tank was a gift. It came from Aamzon so it is brand new.

I got my live rock from a different LFS. I got live and dry rock to begin with. I also got one piece of live rock from petco as well...

People were trying to chip in so I got a lot of it as gifts. ^___^

The sand is the fuji pink live sand in those plastic sacks. I also got a small sack of the black sand but I totally regret getting it now. The sand particles are so small the sand just goes everywhere. I got most of it out when I cleaned the sand but it is a on going process...

So....I have not taken out the dead chromis yet....

My GF just called me and all the hermits are on it...should I just leave it for them for take it out?

Yup I have a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50 Watt my water temp is usually around 78.

So if I get a better water pump will I still need to get the 240? because I would rather not get one of those things if I can avoid it so my tank does not look cluttered..

I got my live rock from a different LFS. I got live and dry rock to begin with. I also got one piece of live rock from petco as well...

The sand is the fuji pink live sand in those plastic sacks. I also got a small sack of the black sand but I totally regret getting it now. The sand particles are so small the sand just goes everywhere. I got most of it out when I cleaned the sand but it is a on going process...

You should be able to get away with one 425. I had a 12g aquapod and bought a 240 and it was too weak and upgraded to a 425g which worked well. The price in difference is only 1 dollar :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23591

So....I have not taken out the dead chromis yet....

My GF just called me and all the hermits are on it...should I just leave it for them for take it out?

I would take it out.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

You will need something in addition to the return pump. The Korillias aren't the smallest pump in the world, but they aren't too hard to hide with your rock work. There are smaller ones out there, but they cost more. Think about how much flow there is where fish/coral live naturally.

I got started the same way...gift cards to various places so I could buy my equipment :) nice friends and family you have there :)

You seem to have 0.5ppm ammonia present.

This may be a result of the snail and chromis die-off, or the cause of your snail die off.

How old is this tank?

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read your first post.

This may seem silly of me to ask, but the tank did cycle right?

pH is at 8.

I am not sure if it has cycled. I thought after the diatom bloom and the tank starts growing Alage the cycle is complete....

Could there be another cause like a disease?!??!?

The algae cycle correlates, but isn't fully linked to the nitrogen cycle.

I'd say test your waters again tomorrow and see if there's still any ammonia present. If there isn't any present, then your tank is most likely cycled and the ammonia was a result of the dead chromis.

If there still is ammonia, there are three possibilities:

1) Other organisms are dying off & continuing release ammonia into the tank.

2) Your tank isn't fully cycled (it probably is, since it's been set up for over a month now).

3) Your API ammonia kit is faulty, which isn't unheard of.

While the likelihood of your tank being uncycled is low, it may be the culprit to the deaths you've been seeing.

pH is at 8.

I am not sure if it has cycled. I thought after the diatom bloom and the tank starts growing Alage the cycle is complete....

Could there be another cause like a disease?!??!?

Archived