Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

clean up crew for 20 gallon

static69static

static69static

I just got this setup, bought it from a guy in my hometown which has had it setup for some time. It is a 20 gallon tank, has about 40lbs of live rock, 2 inch -2 1/2 inch live sand bed. Few mushrooms but that is about it. Has a few snails and maybe one or two hermits. Has an emperor 400 on it. The lighting is 60 watts right now but I'm in the process of getting a 55x2 fixture with actinic blue and 10 k bulb (maybe 6500K). Some time later on I will replace the emperor with something else that isn't as loud, maybe a skimmer, but read not good to have one on small tanks. My question is what you suggest for a clean up crew. The only fish I will have in it is two clowns. Or at least that is what I want. But I want to get a clean up crew, the clowns, and start adding corals and such. Any suggestions would be helpful, also picture included. It isn't much yet and eveyrhting is in the right spot, since the lights will be gone soon, the heater needs to be moved and the powerhead, just got it in yesterday and set it up quick and dirty.

Couldn't get pictures uploaded, so put them on a website

www.angelfire.com/tx5/myaquariumsite/pictures.html

Well in my 10gallon I have 6 blue legged hermits and had 12astrea snails, but the snails would keep falling over and hermits killing them at night. Astrea snails wont flip themselves over. So I have 1 astrea snail left. I'm about to add 6nassaris snails, 6 cerith snails, and 6 turbo snails.

For a 20gallon tank I would go with 5 astrea, 5 turbo, 5 nassaris, and 5 cerith snails. And only maybe 3 hermits. Hermits are mean to snails, even when the snails way bigger and there's better size empty shells laying around:*(

That's a lot of snails you're suggesting... I'd probably go with just 10.. unless you have a major algae problem, then I would add more.

Archived