Cultivated Reef

Majano Anemone Species Tank

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

Hi guys, someone dumped an old bubble coral skeleton covered in these gorgeous green-pink-purple majanos. I'm so tempted to start up a Pico tank just for them, if they're still up for grabs.

Should I, or should I not go for it?

Also, will other small nems be compatible with the Majano?

I'm doing as much research as I can, and I know nems love high lighting, so I'm thinking of getting a wavepoint fixture that's easily 12W over a 5G tank. Will this be sufficient for the Majano?

Also, can I do other inverts in the tank such as Porcelain Crabs, White Spotted Nem Shrimps, or even Sexy Shrimps in a Majano tank?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2068383_f248.jpg

Those guys are Anemonia gracilis ,The Graceful Anemone. Same genus, but different a species than majanos. So I make it a point to state that those anemones are not majano anemones.

That being said, I have a few of these guys in my DT. I started off with one that I saved from the LFS, about a year or two ago, and now I have three (soon to be 4 if one of them decides to split already. I've been waiting for months!). They seem to play nice with everything, and I haven't really seen them catch/eat anything that moved. I have, however, been directly feeding these guys, and they will gulp food down if the bristleworms or hermits don't steal it from them first.

These guys are pretty hardy, so I think they'll take whatever conditions you throw at them. I think they only really show those nice bubble tips if the lighting is really high. otherwise they have longer tips, but still the same nice coloration.

I think they would play nice with other invertebrates. As I stated, they don't sting coral, and stuff like hermits, shrimps, and worms approach it unafraid. I don't think anything would host in them though, since they are so small.

Snow_Phoenix

Hypo, I am taking your word for it. I saw easily 10 nems on the skeleton alone. I tell you what - I will bring the home to get a personal ID. If they are indeed graceful nems, I will keep them in my DT. Otherwise I will keep them in a pico. :)

If you think they're pretty then get them. People get all hung up about things that they think might be majanos, but all anemones have pretty much the same destructive capability. People love BTAs and carpets, but you also hear stories about how they can eat hundreds of dollars worth of livestock, stung/killed corals as they move around the tank, or caused floods when they move on overflows.

Take a pic and post it to make sure. Here's a pic of one of mine for reference:

9pnxjb.jpg

I don't know if i'd all all 10 to my DT though. They ARE anemones, so once you add them I think there's a good chance they'll move around to try to find a happier spot. I mentioned that they don't really sting, but if they decide to perch on top of some zoas or something, they certainly don't like that haha. But it's pretty easy to get them to move -- I just put a rock/plug on top of them to block the light, and they'll move to a place where it's sunny.

Mr. Microscope

Majano or not, do it! Those are awesome! I've been really itching to do a pest nem tank myself. I'm planning to tackle that whenever I get the funds. Good luck! I'll definitely follow that tank if you do it.

Snow_Phoenix

Well i shall post a pic of it up here first to get a positive ID. If it is a good nem, i will keep a few and sell some away. If it is a majano though, i will set up a special pico for it. Although i am secretly hoping it is a good guy so that i can add some extra color to my DT lol. ;)

Always be cautious of anything you might add to your tank. Like I said, I've personally had a good experience with this species; but I've also had good experiences with things that people have not (and the opposite is also true).

I've read about one of these guys hitchhiking on stuff, and then quickly reproducing out of control and causing the tank to crash. I find this hard to believe given my experience with it, but who knows. Maybe they can spread out of control. Maybe the tanks crashed for some other reason, and the anemones were a convenient scapegoat. From my experience, I'd lean towards the latter...

If you think they're pretty then get them. People get all hung up about things that they think might be majanos, but all anemones have pretty much the same destructive capability. People love BTAs and carpets, but you also hear stories about how they can eat hundreds of dollars worth of livestock, stung/killed corals as they move around the tank, or caused floods when they move on overflows.

Take a pic and post it to make sure. Here's a pic of one of mine for reference:

9pnxjb.jpg

I don't know if i'd all all 10 to my DT though. They ARE anemones, so once you add them I think there's a good chance they'll move around to try to find a happier spot. I mentioned that they don't really sting, but if they decide to perch on top of some zoas or something, they certainly don't like that haha. But it's pretty easy to get them to move -- I just put a rock/plug on top of them to block the light, and they'll move to a place where it's sunny.

Nice pic! I kinda want some of those....

Your LFS is probably throwing them away haha

LOL, that's where I first saw them. They throw nothing away......I'm sure they'd sell them though.

Snow_Phoenix

Always be cautious of anything you might add to your tank. Like I said, I've personally had a good experience with this species; but I've also had good experiences with things that people have not (and the opposite is also true).

I've read about one of these guys hitchhiking on stuff, and then quickly reproducing out of control and causing the tank to crash. I find this hard to believe given my experience with it, but who knows. Maybe they can spread out of control. Maybe the tanks crashed for some other reason, and the anemones were a convenient scapegoat. From my experience, I'd lean towards the latter...

Will definitely be very, very cautious. I might be swinging by my LFS only during the weekend though, so I hope they're still there. I'm thinking of putting them in the sump first, and then moving them to the display once I get a positive ID and they're more settled.

And noted on the possible tank crash. If they're majanos, I'll definitely set up a small Pico for them. I've been eyeing on this mini bowfront at a store near my home, and I think it'll be perfect for the nems.

Of course, if I wish to start a nem pico - I will need some filtration, LS, LR and lighting right? It could get a wee bit costly, but I shall see.

Majano or not, do it! Those are awesome! I've been really itching to do a pest nem tank myself. I'm planning to tackle that whenever I get the funds. Good luck! I'll definitely follow that tank if you do it.

No worries, I will most likely do it if they're still available for purchase at my LFS. :D

And I'll definitely post it on NR for the folks on here to see. :)

Well if you're setting up a pico just for them without any fish or shrimp or anything, I would just get some live sand and base rock. I don't think they need particularly fancy/strong lighting, but I'm sure they'd appreciate higher lighting. Their color doesn't pop as much in the actinic spectrum actually, so I'd just go with some cheap cool white lighting.

I'm not sure either would host in the nems, as the nems are quite small. but i also don't have much evidence to the contrary either.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the Majanos were all sold off. :(

So I couldn't get the project started. But on a plus side, someone dumped a iBox Nano pico aquarium at my LFS, and aside from a few scratches, it looks to be in pretty good shape so I've decided to purchase it. Will be picking it up in several weeks time, once my salary pings in. Ka-ching!

Archived