inTank Media Baskets

Feather Duster

baldwinb

I just got a feather duster a few days ago.  At first he seemed to acclimate very well to my tank but after a few days he got rid of the ffeather crown.  I know this is from stress and it should grow back.  But how long does it take for the crown to grow back?  Is there maybe something I am not thinking of that could be causing the stress?

what are you calling the "crown?"  i lost a fairly large featherduster due to decrease in water quality.  at first a few feathers were missing, then the entire worm came out of the tube and sat on the sandbed for a little while before dying.  i have had others that lost a few feathers but grew them back within several weeks.

By crown I mean his feathers  he just shed all the feathers.  How long will it take for these to grow back?

(Edited by baldwinb at 5:33 pm on June 18, 2002)

That is very strange.  I didnt realise they could loose the whole feature duster crown thing.

I now that they use the feathers to breath as well as catch food, so if he lost all of them, I am sorry to say but I think its dead already or will die very soon.

No, they can lose their crown (feathers) and be fine. The worms also have small gill filaments lining their bodies so they can still breathe. How long it will take to regrow it's crown depends on alot of things like the condition of the worm to start with, the water quality, temp, etc......most of them seem to regrow in a couple of weeks.

I read that they periodically lose some of their feathers when spawning.  (so they dont catch their own eggs I guess).  Im not sure if all the feathers are supposed to come off, but you might as well wait and see what happens.

Mine had lost its crown as well, it basicly has to do with the water quality. Don't add any new fish to the tank. Leave it alone for a few weeks until your water chemistry has stabilized.

I got two feather dusters at the same time, one lost his crown right away, the other one is fine. My water quality is great so it may be due to stress or exposing them to air when you transfer them from the bag to your tank

Lunchbucket

SBGRAD24, from what i read you are not supposed to expose them to air.  it can get trapped and kill them

mine lost it's crown and one regrew but others haven't.  personally i am sick of feather dusters they seem to die no matter what.  even though my paramiters are perfect and even if i dose w/ DT's too.  i am gonna save my $$ and not kill any more

usually if you nitrates are high they will get ####ed and die or loose thier feathers

Lunchbucket

I have several featherdusters, and they have all been exposed to air at some time or another with no ill effects. It's good to tilt the tube at different angles under the water to remove any air bubbles, but it isn't an absolute necessity.

Water quality is a major reason they loose their crowns, so is harassment by fish or inverts, improper acclimation too....

Archived