Innovative Marine Aquariums

Planning a Nano, Need Some Advice From Those With Experience.

Steensj2004

Hello All,

Haven’t been very active since I had to breakdown and sell my system. I was sent overseas for work, what was supposed to be a stay of about a year was cut short by manning issues stateside. So because of my experience, I am headed back early. Going to jump back into the hobby, but since time is spent working; I will be going with a 16 Gallon IM NUVO. Need some suggestions on some equipment, below I have listed my plans on equipment (spaces left blank I would like some insight), feel free to comment on any equipment based on your experience. Would like some help before I order form Marine Depot (16 gallon tank only sold out right now). Thanks!

Tank: Innovative Marine NUVO 16 gallon

Lighting: AI Nano with controller

Skimmer: Unsure, heard mostly bad things about the IM one, any suggestions?

Fuge basket w/ Fuge Light (suggestions on light?)

Controller/ATO- Apex or Reefkeeper, haven’t decided. I may get module to control light VS the AI Controller?

Heater: Unsure, want to try Titanium type, any suggestions?

Filtration: Media Baskets with the norm (Chemipure etc.) I would love to use two reactors for GFO and GAC, but I don’t want the extra heat from pumps and unsure if I would have the room.....

Stand: Custom, simply cabinet style (pays to have a carpenter buddy)

Suggestions would be great! Would like to order this stuff before I return so it is waiting for me upon return!

SquishyFishy

Hi I'm in the same boat, will be watching this thread. I pick up my tank this afternoon later and the LFS I bought it from threw in the IM skimmer for no $50 so I took it. I am going to try the stock lighting until I can afford a really nice one.

I found a piece of shelving unit that I am going to use at Target.

The Honey Can Do 3 tier Urban shelving unit that is 40" high, that was my target height and is on casters so I can move it easily.

My write up on the 16 Nuvo is still in the making but a few things I will add. 1. DO NO BUY the IM skimmer..you will never get rid of the micro bubble or really trust it not to overflow. Out of all the skimmers I have ever played with this one is the worst. Looks pretty though. Get the Tunze if you are going for a skimmer. I am starting to agree with everyone else and no skimmer need on this size tank and weekly water changes are a must. 2. Get to know Stevie from in-tank and spend all you money there, new filter baskets, the fuge, the underwater light and chemicals, great service. 3. go extremely slow. 4. Lights...start saving I run a AI nano but wish I would have waited for a hydro or 52. If you don't have the tank yet really consider the 24 Nuvo. one of the coolest sizes out there IMO. Controller=Apex lite. Have fun.

Gotcha, I am a little iffy about stands. Mine have to be a,"Tank" or I lay awake afraid of a collapse. I want something internal for a skimmer, but I am unsure of anything that small other than the IM version. Lighting, well I am a Radion guy, but methinks a Radion is a tad overkill. I seem to hear good things about AI Nanos, considering a Nano Box LED as well. Unsure which is better between the two really... Using black sand and scaping with dry rock this time. A few small pieces of liverock to seed. I will be extremely picky and use small pieces of liverock. I don't want the nasty hitchhikers and algae this time around. Cycle will be longer, but at this point the only livestock I plan are a pistol/goby pair, maybe few small gobies, firefish, and some inverts(snails, shrimp,hermits, etc). The rest is LPS and sofite bound. Namely Acans, zoas, possibly a Scoly or two, and other LPS. I likely will do some encrusting SPS possibly in future, but uninterested in acros and other branching SPS this time around. Maybe a nice Tequila Sunset and Superman Monti.....

My write up on the 16 Nuvo is still in the making but a few things I will add. 1. DO NO BUY the IM skimmer..you will never get rid of the micro bubble or really trust it not to overflow. Out of all the skimmers I have ever played with this one is the worst. Looks pretty though. Get the Tunze if you are going for a skimmer. I am starting to agree with everyone else and no skimmer need on this size tank and weekly water changes are a must. 2. Get to know Stevie from in-tank and spend all you money there, new filter baskets, the fuge, the underwater light and chemicals, great service. 3. go extremely slow. 4. Lights...start saving I run a AI nano but wish I would have waited for a hydro or 52. If you don't have the tank yet really consider the 24 Nuvo. one of the coolest sizes out there IMO. Controller=Apex lite. Have fun.

I already have the money from parting out my 75 gallon system before I left for Japan. This build will in no way take all the money I made from the equpment on the last system. I guess I should have pointed out I am in no way new at this, only new to the AIO aspect. I already mentioned not using the IM Skimmer, was looking for other suggestions(I hadn't considered the Tunze). I may jsut go without, I was doing weekly 15-20 gallon cahnges on my 75 dsiaply/ 40 sump before, so regular changes on a tank this small is no biggie. Are you refering to the AI Hydra light? If I buy a fullsized light like that, I would be buying a Radion, lol. I considered the 24 gallon, however I a looking to keep it small. As far as a controller the only thing I would use it for is temp contro,lighting control(assuming I buy something that they make a module for),l and an ATO. I priviously had a ReefKeeper and was plenty happy with it, considering trying an Apex as the money is there.Thanks for the info!

Edit: Also, when I mentioned ,"Media Baskets" and ,"Fuge Basket" above I ment the InTank versions. On thing is clear, everyone uses InTank baskets in thier AIOs,lol. You recommend the underwater light for fuge or a light externally and remove the black contact paper?

I bought my stand from PetCo and really like it, fits the tank well and looks great being only a single door. Tunze is the only skimmer that I have heard will fit without any real issues and works well, The IM fits but is a problem with micro bubbles. I like the AI nano and the controller with it but the Hydra would have been a better route I think, the Kessils look cool on the 16 also.

I bought my stand from PetCo and really like it, fits the tank well and looks great being only a single door. Tunze is the only skimmer that I have heard will fit without any real issues and works well, The IM fits but is a problem with micro bubbles. I like the AI nano and the controller with it but the Hydra would have been a better route I think, the Kessils look cool on the 16 also.

Yeah, the IM get horrible reviews, so I gathered to avoid it. I wish I could use some reactors. However, the IM ones are the best fit i seems. CPR makes some micro/nano reactors that would fit, however I would like to avoid more pumps internally than I HAVE to have, just makes extra heat..... Have a link for the stand you bought, I am looking for something dark in color, not black though.

I have the Nuvo 16. I am running no skimmer.

If you use chemipure elite, Purigen, Filter Floss and keep up on water changes you really don't need a skimmer.

I am currently using the stock media baskets which suck. I am either going with Intank or the upgraded IM Aquagadgets (much cheaper).

For a light I would say go with the ReefBreeders Photon 16. You are paying another 70 bucks for a mucher more powerful light with a hanging kit included.

I forgot to mention, I will likely throw a MP10 in there at some point as well....Love my Ecotech Marine Products!

I have the Nuvo 16. I am running no skimmer.

If you use chemipure elite, Purigen, Filter Floss and keep up on water changes you really don't need a skimmer.

I am currently using the stock media baskets which suck. I am either going with Intank or the upgraded IM Aquagadgets (much cheaper).

For a light I would say go with the ReefBreeders Photon 16. You are paying another 70 bucks for a mucher more powerful light with a hanging kit included.

I considered the Reefbreeders light. I had their value fixture before I got my Radions. If I went Reefbreeder, I would get the Photon this time.Come to think of it, I think it has much better controllability from what I have read(and the AI Nano comes without the controller, which is 75.00 extra)....hmmmmm.....thanks for that! I still have a hard time considering going full size and not buying a Radion.......

No skimmer needed, but if you're going to get one, tunzee9002. Follow the k.i.s.s. Method and keep up with your water changes. Also, after seeing my friends IM upgraded baskets, I'm glad I got the inTank ones.

Ok, I was inspired by a small pico build here on NR. I have switched my plan and am considering doing something different. He was running a Aquaclear for filtration. I am however Considering running a 10 gallon MR Aqua rimless tank with a Aquaclear 30 for mechanical/GAC filtration and flow. I am sure the rimless tank can hold the weight of the Aquaclear alone, but I was also considering running a Medium sized Marina Breeder Box as a HOB Refugium. Would the weight be excessive on the rear pane of glass? The medium breeder is .3 gallon, I wouldn't assume it would be an issue but I am new to a small rimless tank(I have always had only rimmed tanks). As it stands now I have the following in the basket to purchase:

-11.3 Gallon Mr Aqua Rimless Tank

-Hagen AquaClear 30

-Marina Medium Breeder

-Air Pump For Breeder Water Circulation

- Sand

-Heater

-AI Nano(Black)

Anybody have some insight on the weight? The Refugium will have some sand and Macro inside. Just curious if tank will hold the weight on one pane of glass. As I mentioned I wouldn't Imagine it would be an issue, but I would rather ask now. Thanks.

To compensate for the weight hanging on the back panel of glass you could use 1" PVC cut to length to support the weight. Paint it any color you want to disguise it. Assuming of course that your stand is deeper than the tank itself. I'd probably use Lego's, my kid has a billion or so and wouldn't miss a few.

Great idea! I plan to paint the bacl Black anyway to hide the hardare showing through. I also plan to make a false overflow box to skim the surface(place the intake for the AC 30 inside... Hard to explain, but it wil also conceal the heater....I think the PVC idea will work great!

Looking for advice for surface skimming options. I was going to build a overflow box similar to the bottom exit types(where the water exits through the base pane on the tank), and position the AC30 intake inside as well as the heater. If that makes any sense? I know some people have conversions for a surface skimmer on a HOB filter but cannot seem to find a link for a build. However, I like the idea of the false overflow for skimming and the heater.

Not sure about the surface skimmer, but I would definitely shoot for at least an AC50 if not an AC70 on a 10 gallon.

I can easily switch out the AC30 for a 70, Still concerned about the weight issue. I need some insight, should I brace the filter and HOB Fuge? Seems like a lot of weight on a rimless tank that small, maybe not? Also not 100% set on the AI Nano, if someone else has a better suggestion I would be onboard. I don't plan on running SPS anytime soon if at all.

I've seen a couple of Mr. Aqua 7 gallons that have ac70s as the sole source of flows and they didn't have any additional bracing.

As far as lighting goes,this is probably perfect for a tank that size http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS/led-40w-18k-Tru

Also, if you get the AC70 I'm sure you can find a heater that will fit in there and then you don't have to worry about a surface skimmer attachment. I have yet to see a good DIY SS that looks sleek. With the rimless look that you are going for, I wouldn't want anything to detract from it.

Also, idk if an air pump will provide enough flow for the HOB refugium. It will however probably be noisy and potentially cause a bunch of salt creep, plus there'll be another tube running into your nice tank... I would DIY one out of a small tupperware container that is as tall as your tank. Just place it behind the tank, stick a pump in it and have a bulkhead at the top for the return. Just throwing ideas out there

Also, idk if an air pump will provide enough flow for the HOB refugium. It will however probably be noisy and potentially cause a bunch of salt creep, plus there'll be another tube running into your nice tank... I would DIY one out of a small tupperware container that is as tall as your tank. Just place it behind the tank, stick a pump in it and have a bulkhead at the top for the return. Just throwing ideas out there

That breeder is made to be operated by a air pump, couple of people have used it with great success. the surface skimming wouldnt be a PVC type but look like a standard overflow. Besides,the tank will already have a a HOB filter....kinda eliminates to clean a look option.

Polarcollision

Hello All,

Haven’t been very active since I had to breakdown and sell my system. I was sent overseas for work, what was supposed to be a stay of about a year was cut short by manning issues stateside. So because of my experience, I am headed back early. Going to jump back into the hobby, but since time is spent working; I will be going with a 16 Gallon IM NUVO. Need some suggestions on some equipment, below I have listed my plans on equipment (spaces left blank I would like some insight), feel free to comment on any equipment based on your experience. Would like some help before I order form Marine Depot (16 gallon tank only sold out right now). Thanks!

Tank: Innovative Marine NUVO 16 gallon

Lighting: AI Nano with controller

Skimmer: Unsure, heard mostly bad things about the IM one, any suggestions?

Fuge basket w/ Fuge Light (suggestions on light?)

Controller/ATO- Apex or Reefkeeper, haven’t decided. I may get module to control light VS the AI Controller?

Heater: Unsure, want to try Titanium type, any suggestions?

Filtration: Media Baskets with the norm (Chemipure etc.) I would love to use two reactors for GFO and GAC, but I don’t want the extra heat from pumps and unsure if I would have the room.....

Stand: Custom, simply cabinet style (pays to have a carpenter buddy)

Suggestions would be great! Would like to order this stuff before I return so it is waiting for me upon return!

AI Nano: Consider the Hydra. You'll get great growth with the nano, but the added colors really do make a difference in coral color

I went with the Tunze 9002 skimmer. Not quite happy with it on the Nuvo 24. No microbubble, but skimmate is very wet. Not sure if it's removing as much as another skimmer might.

Reefkeeper light has everything I've needed

You might want to look into an ATO and dosing pumps, too

AI Nano: Consider the Hydra. You'll get great growth with the nano, but the added colors really do make a difference in coral color

I went with the Tunze 9002 skimmer. Not quite happy with it on the Nuvo 24. No microbubble, but skimmate is very wet. Not sure if it's removing as much as another skimmer might.

Reefkeeper light has everything I've needed

You might want to look into an ATO and dosing pumps, too

Thanks for the input! I don't think I will do anything with dosing pumps as I am a water change crazy person. By keeping up on water changes(I practice weekly 20-25%) I haven't had to dose a ton in the past. The ATO is already decided upon and will be added. I think I may be going the BuildMyLED.com custom layout(15 LEDS) as soon as I can figure out a good combination(I am new to personalizing LEDs, used Radions before,lol). Either that or a DIY fixture, who knows....this turned into a lot more planning and work than I had planned,lol.

At 140.00 for one custom, 15 LED Fixture I feel Like BuildMyLed.com is a great choice. My problem is, I haven't ever customized an LED fixture/array. So I am unsure of the best configuration for coral growth. Additionally, I may be able to build a banging DIY for the near 200.00 it'll cost for the BML.com fixture, dimmer, mount, etc.....Hoping Jedi or Meep chime in with some suggestions.

Ok, need some LED Advice, here is my idea for a layout for a 15 LED fixture from BuildMyLED.com...

450nm Royal Blue

4500k White

405nm Ultra Violet

450nm Royal Blue

4500k White

4000k White

450nm Royal Blue

405 Ultra Violet

450nm Royal Blue

4000k White

4500k White

450nm Royal Blue

405nm Ultra Violet

4500k White

450nm Royal Blue

This is a guess, Jedi said no real need for orange/red or green. At least that was my understanding....maybe I am way off...any advice? Maybe some Cyan or 470nm Blues? Gah....what a PITA

Archived