Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bluefish LED Controller: News Thread

SpencerShepard

theishkid

Hey Spencer,

Is there anyway to run this via an ad hoc network directly with your phone and skipping a router?

I'm just trying to think about fail-safes and redundancies in case something were to go down at home.

JediBen mentioned that it stores whatever you programmed last and does not need the wifi every single day unless you are making a change. But I'm just curious what you would do if you needed your light on and didn't have wifi?

SpencerShepard

Hey Spencer,

Is there anyway to run this via an ad hoc network directly with your phone and skipping a router?

I'm just trying to think about fail-safes and redundancies in case something were to go down at home.

JediBen mentioned that it stores whatever you programmed last and does not need the wifi every single day unless you are making a change. But I'm just curious what you would do if you needed your light on and didn't have wifi?

You need an internet connection over wifi to connect to the device. Once it's setup, it will tolerate loss of connection and still run as normal. You can actually use the WiFi hotspot function of your phone for the connection if you needed to...even if that's the same device you're running the app from.

How's shipping going now that it is the 5th. Still look to be on-time?

We're having a short delay with production. Right now it's looking like an extra week or two to get the pre-orders out the door. Please see this topic: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/345819-bluefish-update/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave, have you sent out any fixtures with Bluefish yet? I'm really curious to start seeing the reviews!

Hey Dave, have you sent out any fixtures with Bluefish yet? I'm really curious to start seeing the reviews!

I think some of the beta testers are using it with nano box fixtures.

I'm hoping we start seeing some beta tester impressions now that these guys are shipping!

Quick, terrible storm demo:

• Like 1

That's awesome! I'm just curious why your light didn't do more of the quick flashes like the demo? Or did you just not set it up for that?

I do not have the LDD drivers, and have to run analog mode, so I am sure that is why...it just isn't as fast as PWM mode.

SpencerShepard

That's awesome! I'm just curious why your light didn't do more of the quick flashes like the demo? Or did you just not set it up for that?

I do not have the LDD drivers, and have to run analog mode, so I am sure that is why...it just isn't as fast as PWM mode.

I'm not sure that the PWM version of that driver is much better for response time than the 0-10V version. LDD drivers for DIY setups are definitely the way to go if you want the best experience out of the controller though. The limiting factors in some drivers are response time and minimum dimming.

• Like 2

Quick question!

When I am setting my morning, midday, night, etc, I noticed that the light will stay on the last setting I looked at. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

For example, I have my lights set to come on at 3 PM, and off at 11 PM...and we are well beyond 11 PM, but if I open the app and touch my Morning setting to adjust the time or whatever, the light comes on in Morning mode and stays that way unless I hit the night setting to turn it back off.

SpencerShepard

Quick question!

When I am setting my morning, midday, night, etc, I noticed that the light will stay on the last setting I looked at. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

For example, I have my lights set to come on at 3 PM, and off at 11 PM...and we are well beyond 11 PM, but if I open the app and touch my Morning setting to adjust the time or whatever, the light comes on in Morning mode and stays that way unless I hit the night setting to turn it back off.

It demos the light output for the time period you are adjusting. Leaving that screen should resume normal light output.

• Like 1

Hmm, weird,,,I swear I did that (went back to the menus) and it stayed in morning mode. I just tried it again like you said and it worked just fine. Most likely something I did :)

By the way, this is probably the most addicting thing I have ever had in this hobby...I am sure every person who comes over will be seeing storm mode :)

• Like 2

In the above pic, I have dynamic photoperiod turned off. So what you're seeing for my real times is what I've entered into the manual settings.

You basically have 4 options with how the photoperiod is handled:

• Go fully manual and set your own times for both sunrise and sunset.
  • Take your simulated location's photoperiod and offset it to start at your manual sunrise time. Sunset time will change daily to match the location's photoperiod.
  • Take your simulated location's photoperiod and offset it to end at your manual sunset time. Sunrise time will change daily to match the location's photoperiod.
  • Match the exact sunrise and sunset times of your simulated location, so both will change daily.

So I set my location, set all dynamic photoperiod settings to 'on' yet the lights still seem to follow my manual settings. I'd be perfectly fine having manual entries turned off totally. I just want to mimic my simulated location 100%. How do I do this?

SpencerShepard

So I set my location, set all dynamic photoperiod settings to 'on' yet the lights still seem to follow my manual settings. I'd be perfectly fine having manual entries turned off totally. I just want to mimic my simulated location 100%. How do I do this?

Can you post a screenshot of your simulated location screen?

As Im sending this dawn just broke in my tank and my simulated locations time is 6:30am so I assume its working. Im not sure why it wasnt on yesterday evening when I configured it up. Ill monitor it to see when sunset happens..

Look good?

post-71742-0-13398300-1401381575_thumb.pngpost-71742-0-20881100-1401381588_thumb.png

Hope this all works, looks like lots of thunderstorms coming up in my simulated location!

So if Im on 'full dynamic photoperiod' and using all 'simulation options'. Do I still need to set morning, midday, evening?

Im assumig that all I would need is midday settings that it would work up to during morning and down from after. Is this correct?

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

So if Im on 'full dynamic photoperiod' and using all 'simulation options'. Do I still need to set morning, midday, evening?

Im assumig that all I would need is midday settings that it would work up to during morning and down from after. Is this correct?

If you are using Natural Sun, then yes, it will ignore your morning and evening light levels. If you are not using natural sun, then it will use your morning/midday/evening light levels, but won't use any of your set times if you have both sunrise and sunset simulation enabled.

Im really having difficulty with my lighting schedule. It seemed to be working ok yesterday but today my lights never came on. (I tested them to make sure they still work)

Heres a screenshot from an hour ago.

post-71742-0-69271000-1402025286_thumb.png

At the time of that screenshot it was like 4:30pm in Bora Bora but my lights were 100% off. In fact they've been off all day. Its now 11:30pm where I am in Connecticut and 5:30pm Bora Bora time and lights are still off.

Im completely confused with what 'simulated time' means and 'my real sunset/sunrise time' means. I apologize for being so thick but I just dont understand it. What exactly does 'simulated time' mean? how does 'my real sunset/rise' time relate to my 'actual' time?

In the 'beta only' sandbox under "choose the correct time for your device to set the time zone" I have it set to EST time. Is that supposed to be Bora Bora time? In any event I dont see why it would matter if its simulating actual sunrise/set time of a real location but I assume it fits in here somehow. BTW I have sull simulation on everything.

jedimasterben

If you have both sunrise and sunset sim active and you're on EST, then your lights should be turning on soon :)

Tomorrow, if you're going to be home when you want you lights to turn on, start changing your time zone until you find sunrise, and then you'll be all set. :)

jedimasterben

That's what I thought, but running my lights a few hours back (or is it forward? i don't remember) and I was at sunrise. Maybe it was backward, that makes more sense lol.

That's what I thought, but running my lights a few hours back (or is it forward? i don't remember) and I was at sunrise. Maybe it was backward, that makes more sense lol.

Wut

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions