ReefCleaners.org

Bluefish LED Controller: News Thread

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

Ok great when is this available? If you need a beta tester let me know. I will be starting my LED DIY system again soon.

It's looking like April for release.

this is looking nice..was thinking about getting a typhoon but this looks much better..Whats the pricing gonna look like?

$179 USD

I take it this will not work for a reefbreeders value fixture?

Not currently...there's no way to externally control the reefbreeders fixtures right now. I believe the manufacturer is working on a control input adapter of some sort that would allow control.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

Will this work on any Dimmable LED fixture?

Pretty much. As long as it has some sort of input for a control signal. The controller outputs 0-10V analog, 5V PWM or 10V PWM which covers every controllable aquarium fixture I've ever seen.

ALSO...you can control lower power LED strips/products such as the Ecoxotic Stunner and Panormas, etc....basically any simple LED product that has a standard power adapter. This requires a special inline dimmer of ours that is called PowerPWM. I made a pretty wicked light fixture for my tank with just stunner strips, this controller, and a piece of aluminum.

This looks like a great product!

SO, I'm wondering if this will work with my fixture? I have a Giesemann Teszla. Giesemann sells a BT controller, but it's SPENDY!

Thank-you!

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

This looks like a great product!

SO, I'm wondering if this will work with my fixture? I have a Giesemann Teszla. Giesemann sells a BT controller, but it's SPENDY!

Thank-you!

Hi David, yes it looks like it should be compatible no problem! From the Teszla user manual:

Control via external aquarium computer Each TESZLA lamp has an interface to an aquarium computer with 1-10 V output and therefore to the external controls of each individual lighting group. Depending on the computer a wide range of lighting scenarios may be implemented. NB: The TESZLA Computer Interface (product no 20.171/032) is necessary for connection to the external aquarium computer. Connect it to the lamp via the USB interface (Fig.6 - B) and then con- nect your aquarium computer to the interface. To switch the electronics to external control when the lamp is in operation hold down the RB button followed by the ENTER button. This switches off the internal electronics, and the three lighting channels can now be con- trolled only via the connected aquarium computer.

Kudos to Giesemann for not locking people into a proprietary control system. :)

SpencerShepard

Thanks Spencer!

So I'll still the Giesemann computer interface thingamajig, correct?

Thanks again!

It looks that way from what I can tell.

SpencerShepard

Damn... that puts me at $250 again! :-(

Okay, it's possible that you don't need the interface but it's hard to say without seeing the thing. The main feature of their interface is 0-10V to "digital" conversion. I think by digital they are meaning PWM, which would mean their box isn't necessary for use with the Bluefish, because it can output either 0-10V or PWM. There is a reasonable chance that you would be able to wire this up directly, to a USB cable (that's what the connector on the light seems to be) and connect to the fixture that way. But maybe not. You could try sending an email to Geisemann and ask if the fixture will accept PWM input.

Woring on a few options for this controller. I will be offering an upgrade over the current controllers as well. Spencer ( Genix ) and myself will be working together over the next few months.

-Dave

Exactly, the connections will be easy to change out. I will have these as well for customers.

-Dave

So does this mean there could possibly be some sort of multi buy discount? At least on delivery anyway? If they are both coming from the same place? I live in the uk and I'm really interested in both products. To hear you both working together is great news for me because I can imagine the costs to ship both separately would be horrible! Thanks Mark.

• Like 2

Is there any idea of pricing and release date for the other accessories?? I am starting to consider investing in a Apex, but this would be much more appealing, assuming the price is right and its not going to be a year before it is ready to be purchased...

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

So does this mean there could possibly be some sort of multi buy discount? At least on delivery anyway? If they are both coming from the same place? I live in the uk and I'm really interested in both products. To hear you both working together is great news for me because I can imagine the costs to ship both separately would be horrible! Thanks Mark.

Well the controller is pretty tiny, so I imagine it wouldn't add much if any shipping costs when it's being sent with a fixture. Definitely less than having them sent separately as you mentioned.

Is there any idea of pricing and release date for the other accessories?? I am starting to consider investing in a Apex, but this would be much more appealing, assuming the price is right and its not going to be a year before it is ready to be purchased...

Not much info for you at this time, but the powerbar and sensor module are still in fairly early development...so not on the immediate horizon.

Almost time to get these bad boys. Just a few more months. How is the iOS programming coming along?

iOS app development is going well. All of our core functionality is there, just need to make it pretty.

• Like 2

Once things are finalized I hope to offer the Bluefish as an upgrade. I can see it now, Mini Tide Plus, Duo Plus ;)

-Dave

• Like 1
patrickbruno91

Once things are finalized I hope to offer the Bluefish as an upgrade. I can see it now, Mini Tide Plus, Duo Plus ;)

-Dave

That would be awesome, I am in the process of saving for a duo right now and deciding what colors I want and would like to beta test for the iOS for bluefish.

Can't wait to finally start my build in a few months.

• Recommended Discussions