Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bluefish LED Controller: News Thread

SpencerShepard

• 3 weeks later...
SpencerShepard

We've just released a new product, the Bluefish Power Dimmer. This product is a much smaller, packaged version of our now discontinued PowerPWM dimmer.

bluefish-led-power-dimmer-450x450.jpg

The Bluefish Power Dimmer allows you to control many common LED strips. The Power Dimmer is connected in-line, between the power supply and LED product, and accepts the same mini-audio style plugs from your Bluefish controller. One power input and two outputs means the Power Dimmer functions as a splitter. Each Power Dimmer has 2 channels of control, and can handle up to 120W per channel.

The Power Dimmer modulates the power to your LEDs with a PWM signal from the Bluefish controller. Essentially, PWM is turning the LEDs on/off much faster than your eye can see. This is the accepted “right” way to dim LEDs, as the spectrum remains the same despite the brightness.

Supported Compatibility:

– Ecoxotic Stunner LED strips
– Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED modules
– Current USA TrueLumen LED strips
– Current USA Orbit Marine fixtures

power-dimmer-connection-diagram.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
SpencerShepard

2 question's will this light dimmer/ controler work with the kessil a160we? and will you ship to canada? thanks

Yes it works great with the Kessil A160. Additionally you can add moonlights with our PowerPWM accessory for lunar cycles, or other LED strips for color variation. We are in Victoria, BC so yes, we can ship to Canada. :)

Yes it works great with the Kessil A160. Additionally you can add moonlights with our PowerPWM accessory for lunar cycles, or other LED strips for color variation. We are in Victoria, BC so yes, we can ship to Canada. :)

sweet good to see a canadian reef company

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, wondering if this is or will it be able to control the entire system (temp prob, power heads, pumps etc). And is it compatible with buildmyled multi channel?

Thanks

SpencerShepard

Firmware 4.04
All Bluefish controllers have been automatically updated to firmware v4.04. This update brings a few new features, some bug fixes, and some functionality improvements.

Light Graphs
Under the Light Program menu, you will now find the Light Graph screen. This is a useful tool for visualizing and verifying your light program.

fb2f6639-e1d4-4bc6-bc50-f3b523c87d9b.png

Status Screen
Now you can view WiFi signal strength and other important information. You can find this screen under System Settings.

96119501-5404-4b52-bc3a-8605c135ab57.png

Other changes
-New Natural Sun formula for increased accuracy

-Improved connection management

-Improved Demo Scene

-"Light Preview" option now functional

-Cloud effects are now proportional to time of day

-Slightly improved Storm Scene

-Improved lightning effect is now additive to your current light levels, instead of "switching" to your lightning color

-Settings verification to prevent app crashing from blank text fields, etc

-Bug fix: Natural Sun error when night level higher than day

-Maximized lightning for Kessil and drivers with slow response times (currently Android only, iOS coming soon)

• Like 1

I know you have been working super hard on the Lighting Controller, but is there any word on when you think either the powerbar or the sensor node will be released?!

• Like 1

so, a tank flood fried my Tide Storm controller tonight... That mini is coming soon, yeah? I may just wait to get one of the minis to control my Tide. I only have 2 channels, but I can use that to created a staggered light schedule, yes? Ben says a sinusoidal dimming effect is possible. Can I do that with only 2 channels? Obviously, I know that all LEDs on one channel will come on together.

SpencerShepard

so, a tank flood fried my Tide Storm controller tonight... That mini is coming soon, yeah? I may just wait to get one of the minis to control my Tide. I only have 2 channels, but I can use that to created a staggered light schedule, yes? Ben says a sinusoidal dimming effect is possible. Can I do that with only 2 channels? Obviously, I know that all LEDs on one channel will come on together.

Sure. You can create a schedule with defined light levels and ramps for morning, midday. evening, and night periods, which looks like this:

time-schedule-diagram-1024x393.gif

Or you can use "Natural Sun", which you only need to set midday and night levels for. Natural sun looks like this:

With either mode, you can stagger individual channels by 0-90 minutes. This is called "pendant offset", and is most useful to simulate the movement of the sun across your tank with multiple pendants or clusters.

The user guide is a really quick read, and explains the main functions and settings: https://aquarium-led-controller.com/user-guide/

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Is there seriously that much of a 'peak' time for Natural Sun? If so, then it doesn't mimic the sun at all.

cloud2.png

I thought that during the original beta you said that the Bluefish did sinusoidal dimming? When did it change?

SpencerShepard

I said bell curve, not sinusoidal, and it hasn't changed at all. My day (from that screenshot) is quite long as well. A shorter day length would not have quite as long of a flat top.

This curve will be an advanced option in the future:

new-ns-curve.jpg

The axis aren't to the same scale in this screenshot, but it should be pretty close to the same shape as Dana Riddle's graph.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I said bell curve, not sinusoidal, and it hasn't changed at all. My day (from that screenshot) is quite long as well. A shorter day length would not have quite as long of a flat top.

Well, a bell curve is basically sinusoidal lol. My photoperiod is from 11-13 hours depending on time of year.

This is what natural sun gets me:

Screenshot_2015-02-07-19-33-24.png

Realistically giving me a six hour period of the most intensity (four at 80% peak, then another two before it actually starts really dropping down).

And this is with Natural Sun disabled and the longest ramp times, etc set.

Screenshot_2015-02-07-19-34-13.png

Kinda looks like how the Mooninites on Aqua Teen Hunger Force give the finger lol :)

This curve will be an advanced option in the future:

new-ns-curve.jpg

The axis aren't to the same scale in this screenshot, but it should be pretty close to the same shape as Dana Riddle's graph.

That's much better! :)

When will digital output be coming in? Or does the Mini firmware already have it?

SpencerShepard

Interesting how your screenshots are broken up like that...

My main concern with using the second, more realistic curve, is people unknowingly light starving their corals with low-medium powered setups. The second curve would be great with very powerful lighting. Do you think that's valid? Anyhow, it will be an option...I can get it going in the beta soonish if you are going to die without it. :)

Literally all you have to do to create a digital output for fans is set minimum dimming on that channel to 50-100%. Then set the level for midday (for natural sun) or morning/midday/night to 100%.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Interesting how your screenshots are broken up like that...

My main concern with using the second, more realistic curve, is people unknowingly light starving their corals with low-medium powered setups. The second curve would be great with very powerful lighting. Do you think that's valid? Anyhow, it will be an option...I can get it going in the beta soonish if you are going to die without it. :)

Yes, if someone is using a very low powered setup I could see it becoming an issue in a mainly SPS reef, but usually those that are into the fancy sticks overpower their setups :)

I'm not too worried about it lol, so you can focus elsewhere :)

Literally all you have to do to create a digital output for fans is set minimum dimming on that channel to 50-100%. Then set the level for midday (for natural sun) or morning/midday/night to 100%.

I know I can do it with the full Bluefish, but the mini doesn't have the option for 10v, and I'd only be able to get 1.65v with 50% dimming set. I actually have a second controller (just a basic Arduino something or other, takes the 3.3v from the Mini and outputs straight 5v with like 40mA current so I can power multiple fan circuits at 3.3mA each from one channel of the mini). I don't know what voltage it is looking for, or if it is only looking for some power regardless of voltage, but I will give it a shot once I get it all.

SpencerShepard

Yes, if someone is using a very low powered setup I could see it becoming an issue in a mainly SPS reef, but usually those that are into the fancy sticks overpower their setups :)

I'm not too worried about it lol, so you can focus elsewhere :)

I know I can do it with the full Bluefish, but the mini doesn't have the option for 10v, and I'd only be able to get 1.65v with 50% dimming set. I actually have a second controller (just a basic Arduino something or other, takes the 3.3v from the Mini and outputs straight 5v with like 40mA current so I can power multiple fan circuits at 3.3mA each from one channel of the mini). I don't know what voltage it is looking for, or if it is only looking for some power regardless of voltage, but I will give it a shot once I get it all.

Oh well with the mini you want 100% on the minimum dimming, so you're not getting any switching with pwm. In the iOS app you can set to 100%. I will update the android app when I can....forgot that on the latest update.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Oh well with the mini you want 100% on the minimum dimming, so your not getting any switching with pwm. In the iOS app you can set to 100%. I will update the android app when I can....forgot that on the latest update.

If it's available on iOS that's not a problem, I have an iPad I can use. I assume that once I set it from the iPad that I will not be able to use the Android app until they reach parity or it will reset?

SpencerShepard

If it's available on iOS that's not a problem, I have an iPad I can use. I assume that once I set it from the iPad that I will not be able to use the Android app until they reach parity or it will reset?

As long as you don't try to adjust that particular setting from the android app afterwards, it will stick. Once you change the slider, you are sending the new setting.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

Introducing the $100 Bluefish Mini!

blufish-mini-proto-450x450.jpg

Designed specifically for immensely popular Mean Well LDD-H drivers, the Bluefish Mini is a case-less module that brings many of the lighting features of Bluefish for about half the price. This model targets users building DIY fixtures, and manufacturers wishing to incorporate Bluefish directly into their fixtures or driver boxes.

The Bluefish Mini uses the same app and Wi-Fi connectivity of it’s bigger brother, but lacks analog output and BluePort expansion capabilities. The Bluefish Mini is only compatible with Mean Well LDD-H drivers.

Available for pre-order here.

For all questions or comments, please head over to the Bluefish Mini thread.

• Recommended Discussions