Cultivated Reef

-a

KennioSays

nice start!

look into adding more rock in a month or two to make a slightly taller pile in the center. that way you will have a more dynamic scape and have more space for corals.

LiquidTension82

Very cool! I love the name of your pistol shrimp. I actually just set up an Aqueon Evolve 2 (while I get my main project together). I'll definitely be following this (and taking notes) :D

@newman I definitely want more live rock, it's just since the the size of this tank is so small It's hard to scape it and the LFS sells really big rocks. I guess I could buy a $50 dollar rock for a $20 dollar tank. Break it up into smaller pieces and throw the left overs in my back chamber or 11 gallon. I really want to put in some more corals too. any suggestions?

@Liquid Yeah, the big claw reminded me of megaman lol. Good luck with your tank (small tanks are expensive in upkeep IMO) and I'm excited to see your build. I went with a 2 inches of sand. I'm really debating on getting crushed aragonite sand don't know if the shrimp is happy with being able to make sand storms or not since he can't really make a burrow. He did manage to make a nice little home for himself though underneath the rock.

Megaman ftw!

I agree with Newman; moar rock! Doesn't need to be live rock. Buy some cheap dry rock and break it up however you wish. :)

I hope to do a small tank in the future, so I always watch all these small builds. Keep updating!

I'd let these current corals get used to your tank, then when you get some more rock (I agree, break up some dry base rock that you can get cheaper) get some mushroom corals. i think mushrooms would look great in a pico tank.

after that some more zoas and palythoa.

I'd add corals a little at a time. once every couple of months or so. it is best not to rush things with picos.

some cool zoas include bam bam oranges, LA lakers zoas and tubb blues.

for palys i'd recommend purple death palys, and those really common light-blue-green ones.

then get some blastomussa merletti. there are many color forms.

after all that I'd move onto SPS. SPS shouldn't be added too early. i think 6 months from now is a safer time to add the first one.

Hey, I'm also doing a college pico! But mine is really simple and will only be zoas. There is a link to my build thread is in my signature, but skip to the end if you are curious because the first couple pages are crap. It's not up yet so don't expect too much.

I'm actually stopping by my lfs today to see there selection of rocks and maybe pick up a ricordea or something that catches my fancy the tank has been up and running pretty solid for the past 3 months will post pics

[uPDATE]

So after getting off work and not having my boss lady home since she went to visit her family for new years. I got to shop a bit =D

IMAG0293.jpg

IMO I honestly think $10 a lb is expensive as heooooo.

Also picked up a ricordea

IMAG0304.jpg

Got the new rock work in and another full tank shot in size comparison to a soda can =D plus with my girlfriend out of town I can drink all the soda I want >_>

IMAG0306.jpg

Also picked up a YCG. Acclimated him for 45 minutes and He is doing great. He has been just rock surfing and is actually eating omega one and nls

IMAG0305.jpg

The ricordea has also been doing great and opening up will. Already see another mouth forming.

Angel<3Nanos
plus with my girlfriend out of town I can drink all the soda I want >_>
Oh we got a rebel here ladies and gents! :D

Nice little tank btw. :)

Do you think it would look better if you centered the rock formation more? pile the rocks higher so that more sand is exposed. maybe it will help create a less cramped look.

i think it looks good now unless what i described above can make it look better. try it out if you can :)

Yeah I will definitely try that . The thing is it's 6 different pieces so that I can always remove or rearrange but I think I would actually have to glue it on for that formation you recommended.

On a side note my ycg just died I have no clue why.. he was eating good fed him frozen and pellet and removed out the food he didn't eat. All my parameters checked out too.

Another question I have is at my lfs they are having a sale on their neon green candy canes. But my concern is imo they look fluffy so they are suppose to be soft? But the head itself is actually really hard I do see the tentacles come out though but the head is also flat. Will the head actually open up?

Sorry if my post is all over the place currently at work and using my phone

candy cane is LPS so yes the base skeleton is hard. the flesh can expand and inflate to appear soft. it does that when it is comfortable (probably during daytime) so that it can photosynthesize.

is it expanding at the store?

I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't look right at the store. may be stressed.

Hey Newman thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it :) and I tried that new rock formation and you are right it looks a lot better

Be sure to read through Newmans Pico thread, it was a classic and many of us miss it, a lot.

Wow i didn't know so many people knew about that tank haha. Glad you liked it! I miss it too...

• 2 weeks later...

So weekly update.

All my parameters are actually pretty awesome and in check. I do about a .5 gallon water change a week and just change out the filter floss. The candy cane now has 2 heads and all my other corals are thriving. I also picked up a yellow ricordea and a tiny TINY frogspawn. It's about an inch long from the base and extends out half an inch lol

Nice...I like that you are going slow and considering your moves as you go. I would suggest some small zoa/paly fragments to add color that can grow in over time. Just don't over do it (cough cough)...

E

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0319.jpg

Late Weekly Update!!!! So I still can't make up my mind about my rock work but I am still really enjoying this little tank next to my computer desk. Everything looks happy and I've been spot feeding the corals. The frogspawn upfront is already growing if you notice on the center bottom. The only problem I'm having is with my candy cane, it's looking pretty shriveled for the past couple of days maybe its my pistol shrimp thats pissing it off.

Hopefully I have some time tomorrow to go back to the LFS to pick up some more ricordeas

I'd slow down a little and let things grow more. just some advice. (I see a camouflaged damsel in there haha)

What does the rock work look like now? did you change it from before? how about a full tank photo :)

Archived