Pod Your Reef

Water Height

NanoSea

Hello everyone! I sent an email to Steve on the website, but was also curious if you had any suggestions for me too. I found that with my media basket for my coralife Biocube 29 the water on the front is very high (on the black rim around the tank). I found that when the water did not first go through the filter, the water level in the front dropped a little bit. Just curious as to if there are any suggestions as to what I can do to lower the water level in the front, while using the filter. :)

I should mention that when the pump is on and the tank is running, the back is still not completely submerged (my media is not completely underwater, it is just getting "dripped" by the filter). I am hesitant to add more water to the tank because of the high level in the front.

Thanks!

This can be from a couple of things you just have to figure out which based on what you put in the media basket...

First if you have too much media in the basket it is harder for the water to flow. This causes the water to "pile up" in the display. The other issue is similar, old clogged media. Same thing it restricts flow as it gets filled with detritus or what-not.

The Basket being under water does not matter as long as the water is flowing through it.

The water level in the front is more related to the output pump. You could
try removing water out of the front display and seeing if it will hold that
level, yet the pump usually dictates what that level will be at. Most like
it past the molding as they will not see the water level line.

Make sure you have added water to the rear chamber to bring up the level to
about the first, top shelf of the media basket. To do so add water while
the tank is running to the 2nd chamber. This is a closed system and will not overflow the tank. The rear chamber is not it's own independent aquarium.

Make sure any large bag of media is tied to the middle shelf to pick it up off the holes.

The water level in the front is more related to the output pump. You could

try removing water out of the front display and seeing if it will hold that

level, yet the pump usually dictates what that level will be at. Most like

it past the molding as they will not see the water level line.

Make sure you have added water to the rear chamber to bring up the level to

about the first, top shelf of the media basket. To do so add water while

the tank is running to the 2nd chamber. This is a closed system and will not overflow the tank. The rear chamber is not it's own independent aquarium.

Make sure any large bag of media is tied to the middle shelf to pick it up off the holes.

Removing water from the front display wouldn't change the water height. Removing water would only lower the water level in the back. . .because as you said, the water level is dictated by the inlet vs outlet flow rates.

If you want to lower the water level in the display, you either decrease your pump flow or increase your drain flow. If your drain flow is slower, as Bogger said, it will also cause higher water level in the front.

I have a bag of purigen in the middle shelf, do you think that is alright not being hung up? I would, just not entirely sure how. Thanks.

No need for that. Only a large bag of chemi pure in the bottom shelf.

Just put the purigen at an angle in the basket, so it isn't blocking all the holes.

I have the same thing going as well. The flow director ads about quarter inch to the height of the divider in the first-second comparments, thus allowing more water to back up into display. I have noticed that the filter media needs twice weekly changing as it cloggs and should not be packed in there, both leading to even more water backed into the display tank.

I just recieved/installed my media basket/fuge setup and am having the same issue. I have not even put any media in the basket yet... It is like the basket is too tall (yes I ensured it is sitting on the glass at the bottom). Been fiddling with this thing for about three hours now.

The water deflector is actually at an upward angle (yes I removed the false floor., yes I ensured that the water deflector is sitting on the lip of the false wall between chamber 1 and 2, yes I ensured that the water deflector is locked against the media basket).

I am running an mj1200, and an aquatic life 115 skimmer. Skimmer was set perfectly and the water is being backed up in the tank/chamber 1).

Not real happy with it all. Any suggestions?

OK... just got done messing with it (yes, it is 2:00AM). I can't figure it out. I tried everything, removing skimmer (yes that helped, but I do not want to go skimmerless), moved the water deflector to every possible position that it can be in etc. I finally has enough and threw a piece of floss in the top rack just to see what it would do. It restricts the flow of water entering chamber two way to much, is this correct? If so, someone will be picking up an InTank set up for cheap on the board really soon...

Flow director should angle slightly down over media basket, not up. Did you order for the coralife or the older one? Can you get some picks? Some times I have a hard time reseating the flow director back in when the cord for my koralia gets in the way. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with it.

Yes, here are a few pictures.

I also realized that the water line in chamber 2 will not stay at the top rack. I fill the back chambers up and the water slowly goes down in the back, and of course up in the front. Will also not stay high enough in chamber 3 to be at the "water line" of my eheim jager 75W heater, even if I put the heater all the way down as far as it will go, touching the glass.

This picture shows that not matter what I do, how much water I add (ive read everywhere to take water from the front, and put it in the back), the water goes over the "emergency overflow"

post-82752-0-23494300-1389281394_thumb.jpg

With the media basket deflector in place the water completely submersed the black adjuster knob on the Aquaticlife skimmer. Prior to the media basket it was about 1/2 in the water, half out.

post-82752-0-22986700-1389281395_thumb.jpg

This is just showing how it is seated.

post-82752-0-15488500-1389281396_thumb.jpg

And lastly, this shows the water level in the tank. It is at the ridge on the black rim (way to high... the water is going over the overflow).

post-82752-0-36534500-1389281397_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Dave

I just recieved/installed my media basket/fuge setup and am having the same issue. I have not even put any media in the basket yet... It is like the basket is too tall (yes I ensured it is sitting on the glass at the bottom). Been fiddling with this thing for about three hours now. The water deflector is actually at an upward angle (yes I removed the false floor., yes I ensured that the water deflector is sitting on the lip of the false wall between chamber 1 and 2, yes I ensured that the water deflector is locked against the media basket). I am running an mj1200, and an aquatic life 115 skimmer. Skimmer was set perfectly and the water is being backed up in the tank/chamber 1). Not real happy with it all. Any suggestions?

Without any details it's going to be hard to help you.

But if the basket is too tall, and the water director is at an angle, it should like you purchased a Coralife BC29 basket and you have an Oceanic BC29.

A media basket by design will put restriction on the incoming water, it's supposed to as it forces water through the box, ie the media greatly improving the filtration of the aquarium.

It sounds like the skimmer is blocking flow in chamber one, not the media basket. Have you set it up correctly?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/237995-guide-to-installing-an-aquaticlife-115-skimmer-into-a-biocube-29-chamber-1/#entry2856522

http://www.coralreefforum.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4114075-aquaticlife-pr

This picture shows that not matter what I do, how much water I add (ive read everywhere to take water from the front, and put it in the back), the water goes over the "emergency overflow"

Where id you read that? You are suppose to add new water to the rear to bring the water level up. Simply using the water from teh display will equalize the position almost instantly. The return pump decides the water level in the display.

Add fresh salt water, while the tank is running to the rear chamber of the tank.

The water should not be so full in the display that it goes over the emergency overflow...

I have a coralife biocube and purchased the media basket for a coralife biocube.

Not sure what else to say or do. Is there a return policy on this stuff, or should I just sell it on this site?

It sounds like the skimmer is blocking flow in chamber one, not the media basket. Have you set it up correctly?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/237995-guide-to-installing-an-aquaticlife-115-skimmer-into-a-biocube-29-chamber-1/#entry2856522

http://www.coralreefforum.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4114075-aquaticlife-pr

You may want to try the stock filtration pump again, or even one slightly slower in flow rate. You have put a huge restriction on chamber one that the filtration pump is pushing more than it can pull.

The water should not be so full in the display that it goes over the emergency overflow...

The stock grating was set up for stock configuration, it was never designed for mods like a skimmer in chamber one and a media basket, upgraded pump, and other fancy do dads. If you are unable to figure how to tweak the mods or accept the upgrades will not be like a stock design, you may be best to go back to the stock configuration.

To determine what is causing the display portion to fill so much take a step by step approach. Remove everything from the rear chambers except the return pump and heater. Run this way for 10 minutes and record the water levels in the front and rear. Then add the skimmer. Run with this way for 10 minutes and record the water levels. Remove the skimmer and install the media basket with media and water deflector. Run 10 minutes and record the water levels. This will show you where the back up is coming from. I have an Oceanic BioCube and ran the same skimmer and media rack for over a year. With the stock pump I didn't notice any issues with display water level, when I upgraded to a Hydor 300 GPH pump the level raised a little bit. If your return pump is adjustable, dial it back just a bit to balance the flow.

I did the step by steak approach last night /this morning. It is the water deflector.

I am using an mj1200 in there, but will try the stock pump this evening.

Stock pump didn't change a thing...

Tunze Silence 1073.020 didn't change much, although when I turned it WAYYY down it got a bit better.

Im over it, it is for sale in the classified section if someone wants a cheap media basket.

Thanks

Dave

Just got my InTank stuff a couple days ago and put it in a couple hours ago - having the same issue. Water is backing up really bad into the display while chambers 2 & 3 are way too low. I'm hoping it's because I have a large piece of floss in the top slot (it's kinda squished in and folded over) and when I take that out all will be well. I only have carbon in the second slot and nothing in the third yet, so it's relaly surprising me that it's backing up the water this much. I still think the media basket is a good idea, I just hope I can get this flow situation under control - especially before it begins to affect my heater in chamber three!

REfugium basket is fine, though now that I've got it I'd kinda say you don't need it. I don't see what the difference would be between using it and jsut throwing cheato in that open space without the basket. But at least it isn't restricting flow in any way. REal glad I got my little fuge light though and excited to get that on a timer and get it in use. :) Now back to this flow situation...

PS - I have the Oceanic.

So I just realized something and maybe the OP did this too - and should check it out before finalizing that sale of the media basket ->

Originally, I had the flow direction piece hooked over both the false wall edge AND the media basket edge. It's wide enough that it fits over both and it keeps the media basket firmly against the false wall between chamber 1 and 2. But my water levels in 2 & 3 were horrible. I took off the directional flow piece and my water levels immediately went up in those two chambers so I thought maybe it was just that piece, but then I messed with it a little more, wiggling it this way and that, thinking it must work somehow... and found that if you hook it on to JUST the media basket, the water levels stay as they should and everything works hunky dory. So to the OP - did you hook that flow thingy over both edges or jsut the media basket? And if you did both, maybe try just the one.

I did try that... I tried it with the water deflector resting on the basket, but pressed against the false wall (not "locked" over either the false wall or the basket), it did help some. I tried with just the water deflector locked onto the false wall only, and resting on the basket (pushed the basket towards the fuge basket/chamber 3 so that the water deflector didn't lock into it), that also helped some. I didn't have any media or floss in my basket and it was being backed up, perhaps it is the skimmer positioning, I am not sure.

I am using the Aquatic Life 115 skimmer, and it can only be positioned/installed one direction or else the collection cup will hit the lid causing it to not close. I have been happy with the skimmer thus far as I am only 3 weeks in, so I figured if that is the cause I would rather have the skimmer and make my own media rack/shelf/basket setup.

The fuge basket is great, and the InTank products are of very high quality, I was very impressed by that, just not the functionality.

As Stevie T said, an addon or mod to a tank may take additional mods or changes to make it work, I unfortunately did not want to make the changes needed to make it function as it should.

My chamber 3 consists of:

Heater

RKL Temp Sensor

RKL Ph Prope

ATO switch

Return Pump

I didn't feel like making another ATO pump, the heater could not possibly go any lower (it is already a 1/2 inch from hitting the bottom glass) or moving the other items in chamber 3 due to the decreased water level.

If I was to do it all over again I would go the Tunze/Media basket route, however I am happy with how it is working right now.

Thanks

Dave

• 7 years later...

I was going thru the same thing with the intank in my biocube 32.  Its def. from the water director. 

This was from Intank....

"Because the water director puts a little back pressure on the incoming water that is generally normal (talking about raised water level in DT). If for some reason you wish it lower and can not adjust - you can drill a small hole on the side of the water director to allow bypass. Or remove any excess silicone that it may be resting against that would allow bypass.

I haven't done anything as of yet.  It did raise my water level in DT about 1/4 in.  Nothing to much to worry about other than potential salt creep.  I've had it installed 2 weeks now with no real issue.  I would left stock tray in if I knew this would happen.  Also you can retrofit the shelves that come with the intank product, and the stock biocube filter frame....Glue the green shelves to this frame, they fit perfect.  

EDIT.....Didn't realize this post was so old lol.

Shit still going on though.