Pod Your Reef

ADA Cube Garden Pico Reef - A Journey - 6/6 Small Update

gnatster

I have a feeling a lot of us are like that, make scape.... Stare at scape.... Wait a day..... Change it around for an hour..... Repeat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold and quiet night with snow on the way has me playing more with rocks.

Took lamp that came with the tank that has been over a terrarium and used for light. Color temps are wrong, this is a plant bulb in there.

DSC_2246.JPG

DSC_2249.JPG

DSC_2255.JPG

Not sure which I like better,

Played with rocks a lot lately.

Came up with this...

DSC_2190.JPG

View from my desk.

DSC_2216.JPG

I like this one. Working on the photo for you.

-Dave

There were some aspects of both variations above I liked and disliked.

For the first idea I liked the arch, the lightness on left side and the over all feel.

The second idea I liked the better height of the arch, however it made the left too heavy and turned the right side anchor rock in an unpleasant manner.

That led me to this...

DSC_2268.JPG

The lightness on the left along with facing the larger right side properly has been preserved. The arch height increased and there is space for small rubble piles and a clam.

DSC_2270.JPG

I like this. the structure is very steady as it sits. but I think I'm going to put s thin layer of epoxy on the touch points to keep the pressure even on the bottom.

Such care, such a high level of detail. Following along for sure. Good luck!

I am an owner of 2 MINI coopers. I see your 1/32nd scale coupe in the background. Have to ask, do you work for them?

If you're half as discriminating about what goes into this tank as the build, this will turn out incredible. Following along.

Fwiw, I had an AC70 with an inTank basket. It had an area that perfectly held a heater, I just cut a hole in the lid for the cord to exit. No heater in the tank.

more pictures of terrarium thing

DSC_2279.JPG

Such care, such a high level of detail. Following along for sure. Good luck!

I am an owner of 2 MINI coopers. I see your 1/32nd scale coupe in the background. Have to ask, do you work for them?

Thanks. I don't work for MINI, I do run a popular MINI Forum and know more about them than most dealer staff.

It's rather cold out today and my workload is low for a change.

So what did I do? Made feet for the rocks, took pictures of them, cleaned up the pictures, posted them online and wrote about it.

DSC_2288.JPG

DSC_2289.JPG

Another piece of the puzzle ordered today. 75gpd RO/DI from Air Water Ice.

I was going to buy RO water and Premixed Salt Water from the LFS but then I started thinking about how often I'd be doing water changes and how often I'd have to head to the LFS toting jugs. Makes more sense over the long haul to just mix up my own.

Love the scape. What kind of corals are you considering?

Thanks. Thinking a mix of colorful zoas's, ricordia, sps and a clam. I've sketched out some design ideas on placements. The corals will end up dictating to me where they really want to be. Hope it is close to my plan.

Progress report after about 6 weeks.

Light is to be shipped soon, there was a small flaw in the finish Dave wanted to fix that I'd have never known about if he didn't tell me that he was fixing it so shipping would be later. On the bright side,, possibly a Nano Reef Box Microfiber might be able to be shipped with the Duo.

RO/DI and ESV Salt should be here later today according to UPS tracking.

Rock work is designed, epoxy has plenty of time to set.

Filter, heater, MP10 and basic API test kit for checking the cycle are all here.

Once the light fixture is here then it's down to the metal shop (my landlord and neighbor is a custom metal shop) to design and construct a stainless steel fixture to hang lamp from.

Need to purchase either a Refractometer or a Digital Refractometer. I'm thinking Digital Refractometer, I'm getting old, the eyes are just not what they used to be in picking small gradations.

Also need a powerhead/small pump and heater for salt mixing. Probably hit the LFS up for that.

I'm predicting this will get wet the week of Feb 17 with some luck and some clients paying their bills.

Just keep reminding myself that when creating a reef tank patience is the most important trait to have.

Archived