Pod Your Reef

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

treborzelev

Here is the link to my thread!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343421-robs-5-gallon-mixed-reef/

So excited to finally post on the forum. Purchased the tank used and established from craigslist then got obsessed. The filtration upgrades have allowed me to reduce the frequency of my water changes and I really only test once I notice the candy cane coral or the sinularia look pissed (they always let me know the nitrates are climbing). I have three rather large LFS in my area so I get to shop around a lot. The tank looks pretty full but I have been surprised at how well everyone gets along lol.

I just picked up a Spec V yesterday as my first ever saltwater tank. I'm very excited and pleased with it so far.

Only day 2, I have nothing in it yet - and it still brings me lots of joy just looking at it haha!!

Here's my thread, I've got lots of questions as I'm doing this and tons of learn still.. but I post tons of pics!! (and I know everyone loves pics!!!) Hah!

Really liking the pictures/ threads some of you have shared in this thread. I hope my tank one day looks as good as some of the ones here!

Here's my introduction thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343584-new-here-first-tank-fluval-spec-v/

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the inTank media rack for my new Spec V and plan on stacking floss, chemi pure, and Purigen in that order. Do I need some sort of protein skimmer or refuge? Can I use the filter space as a biological fuge along with the inTank setup? I'm already getting a submersible heater to put into the pump area (upgraded MJ-606.) Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased the inTank media rack for my new Spec V and plan on stacking floss, chemi pure, and Purigen in that order. Do I need some sort of protein skimmer or refuge? Can I use the filter space as a biological fuge along with the inTank setup? I'm already getting a submersible heater to put into the pump area (upgraded MJ-606.) Any info would be greatly appreciated!

If you keep the stocking low, you should be fine without a skimmer or fuge. Technically CPE has carbon in it as well as GFO, so adding purigen is the same as adding more carbon. Right now I don't run any chemical media in mine, just floss and the tank has been great with my 1 fish and minimal water changes (about once a month right now).

606 is definitely the way to go. You may want to add a hydor or spinstream to get more varied flow in the tank. Light absolutely needs replaced if you want to keep coral. If you look through the member spec-v build threads you should be able to get good ideas on how everyone has theirs setup.

Main key with this and any similar size tank is just keep the stocking low because nutrients could easily become a difficult issue.

606 is definitely the way to go. You may want to add a hydor or spinstream to get more varied flow in the tank. Light absolutely needs replaced if you want to keep coral. If you look through the member spec-v build threads you should be able to get good ideas on how everyone has theirs setup.

Does the 606 have a flow regulator switch? I'd hope so considering the Fluval stock pump is equipped with it.

Also, do you think it would be possible to run a mini protein skimmer in the pump fuge? I'm not sure if there would be enough space since i plan on submersing the heater in this area as well.

Thank you for all of the responses and advice!

ETucc, the minijet 606 has a cover over the impeller that does have a little flow adjuster on it, but unfortunately because of the width of these pumps you have to take off the covers off of the pump to make the pump fit into the chamber anyways

Does the 606 have a flow regulator switch? I'd hope so considering the Fluval stock pump is equipped with it.

Also, do you think it would be possible to run a mini protein skimmer in the pump fuge? I'm not sure if there would be enough space since i plan on submersing the heater in this area as well.

Thank you for all of the responses and advice!

Just run it wide open...good flow but not too much.

Unless you stock super heavy, you won't need a skimmer. Just do regular water changes and use a good quality carbon. I run floss, CPE, and Purigen in mine.

Thanks NanoClown!

And evanski, thank you as well! I have a bit of obsessive compulsion when it comes to filtering and removing toxins from my tanks. I'm running a 20gl filter on my 5.5gl freshwater tank. I do 25% water changes once a month and I don't even need to do it that often. Currently it houses 11 Glowlight Tetras (fully grown), 2 Honey Sunset Dwarf Gouramis M and F, 1 Male Guppy, and a Black Kuhli Loach. For $10 more for the larger filter, I save water and conserve the environment :lol: . It's not planted mind you, but it was a cheap setup and it looks wonderful for less than $100.

Sorry for the rant, but would a protein skimmer actually fit along with the heater and 606?f Or would it be overkill and remove too much beneficial nutrients from the water?

I don't know of any skimmer on the market that will fit into the back chambers of a Spec V, I feel like it would be a little overkill anyways. Keeping up with water changes should keep your water quality in check on such a small system. If you want a little more filtration you could consider converting the bigger chamber into a refugium but most of us are running some kind of media basket in that chamber in order to run some chemical/mechanical filtration. Since I painted one of my panes black, i'm current running an Aqua Clear 20 as a refuigium on the back-side of my tank in addition to my DIY media basket (eggcrate and zip ties ! B)) w/filter floss, chemipure elite, & purigen.

• Like 1

Emma's First Reef

Tank : Spec V

Filtration : Media Basket / Surface Skimmer (ordered)

Pump : Stock / 606 ordered

Lighting : 2x Luxeon 3up NW(4k) , RB , B - 1x Semi HV 2.0

Heater : Jager 50w

Stock :

Pulsing Xenia

Shrooms

Zoas

Talbot Damsel

Sixline Wrasse

Red Brittle Star

Still working on getting it scaped (5yr old has ZERO patients)

13671048273_74ba91467e_c.jpg

I saw Emma's tank thread previously, before posting in this thread, and I loved it! I like the minimal live rock... more space fore lively corals to thrive in and fill space, like that Pulsing Xenia! Is a Red Brittle Star a coral or invert seastar? Haha

Also, would a Blue Damsel or Blue/Green Chromis not fare well in a tank of the Spec V's size? I plan on stocking a Yellow Clown Goby as well as one of the two aforementioned fish, along with a preemptive cleanup crew comprised of a Cerith Snail, Nassarius Snail, and possibly and Emerald Crab and a Sea Star of some sort, though my LFS doesn't seem to have any species in stock that would not outgrow this tank :(

! Is a Red Brittle Star a coral or invert seastar? Haha

This :

RedBrittlestar.jpg

Also , you should be ok with a damsel, but gobies would be the best thing imo. Green banded , masked , yasha , high fin , etc. Make your own little goby fortress.

Are there any traditional star fish that do not grow larger than 2-3 inches?

Also , you should be ok with a damsel, but gobies would be the best thing imo. Green banded , masked , yasha , high fin , etc. Make your own little goby fortress.

I think this would be an excellent idea, considering this is my first salt tank! Gobies would fare well. I love the Panda Goby!

I saw Emma's tank thread previously, before posting in this thread, and I loved it! I like the minimal live rock... more space fore lively corals to thrive in and fill space, like that Pulsing Xenia! Is a Red Brittle Star a coral or invert seastar? Haha

Also, would a Blue Damsel or Blue/Green Chromis not fare well in a tank of the Spec V's size? I plan on stocking a Yellow Clown Goby as well as one of the two aforementioned fish, along with a preemptive cleanup crew comprised of a Cerith Snail, Nassarius Snail, and possibly and Emerald Crab and a Sea Star of some sort, though my LFS doesn't seem to have any species in stock that would not outgrow this tank :(

I put a springers in mine to control flatworms, and it's turned out to be a really good match. I was planning on moving it to my 90 because it would seem too energetic for the spec, but it's really mellow. Stays calm all the time and begs for food every time someone walks by.

• Like 1

I just like to fill in all of the spaces in my aquariums. Most Damsels are inexpensive, beautiful, and hardy fish (so I hear) and they aren't as shy as Gobies. Plus, most Gobies are bottom swimmers, or stay anchored to rock when they aren't hiding. I'd like a fish that would fill the voids around rock and coral, in the open water. I'm not concerned about the extra bio load, only for the well being and happiness of the fish. Even smaller Damsels, Blennies, and Chromis are avid swimmers. I don't want a fish that will suffer due to cramped quarters!

jacketherington

So the constant salt creep in the front two corners of the spec 2 has always annoyed me. Today I popped off one of the black plastic pieces to see if it will make a difference. They come off really easily. I'll let you know how it works.

2004jeeplaredo
So the constant salt creep in the front two corners of the spec 2 has always annoyed me. Today I popped off one of the black plastic pieces to see if it will make a difference. They come off really easily. I'll let you know how it works.

How did ya pop them off? Just pull up on them?

I cut out just the inside of the black pieces on mine, so it still looks the same from the outside of the tank, but inside it's just glass. Helped a little bit, but I still get creep. I also have my water level set pretty high though.

My media basket and skimmer are already ordered from inTank/StevieT B)

The lighting I chose is the Deep Blue Solar Flare 115 6x3W LED:

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/deep-blue-solarflar-115-5x3w-clamp-on-led-light.html

Pretty cheap and it should be effective at sustaining some soft corals and LPS!

When you get this light up and running can you please post pics/review? This does look like the best bang for the buck, I'm just worried it's not going to be blue enough. Don't corals prefer bluer light?

In my limited experience, the specs will benefit from a skimmer.

Even with multiple weekly water changes I noticed better water quality while skimming.

A DIY mame type skimmer made from a gravel vacuum fits in the spec.

It does not need to be fancy to be functional.

When you get this light up and running can you please post pics/review? This does look like the best bang for the buck, I'm just worried it's not going to be blue enough. Don't corals prefer bluer light?

I have the light, but my tank is completely dry. I could throw it on my freshwater tank to give you an idea? I'll tell you right now, this lamp is no joke. The bulbs are beautiful, 3W each, totaling 5 LED's altogether.

2 Daylight bulbs (10,000K), 2 Mid-day bulbs (6,700K), and 1 Blue (460Nnm)

They get HOT, brotha. And the blue is BLUE. Obviously there is some washout when all the LED's are on, but the blue is still quite visible. Since there are two Mid-day bulbs, this helps even out the spectrum a little bit. 4 x 10,000K daylight bulbs would just diminish the blue bulb. But the Mid-days are a little more than half of the full Daylight bulbs.

The build quality is pretty damn good. The clamp is plastic, but pretty durable. But the aluminum housing is solid. I found this lamp on Amazon, with free 2 day shipping for Prime members, for like $45. Saw it in 5 stores for no less than $55. If you're like me and you think it's ridiculous that people throw lights worth more than $200 on a tank (which I got for $50) that is so small, and you're on a budget, then get this light. No one is more obsessive compulsive when it comes to finding the perfect product in my price range. I've done the research. You won't be disappointed. Plus, they make mini ones too you could get for like another $25 to supplement more blue light. The lamps have two settings, and an off setting. They're awesome.

Certain corals prefer bluer light, and cooler water. But for most, UV light is what makes them thrive. Blue-only settings are for us to enjoy, not the fish or corals. If you had zero light in the blue spectrum, many photosynthetic corals would not even notice. But, if you had zero light in the Day spectrum, your tank would be empty... Think about it that way. ;)

jacketherington

It's been a few days and salt is already building up around the black tabs again. The corner without the tab is still clean. I'll be pulling the rest today.

• Like 1