Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

jacketherington

Here is my little spec2 as of 10 minutes ago.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/jacksetsfire/media/54872C19-80F6-4C3F-B338-3117EE85DA64_zpsww27gj7w.jpg.html'>54872C19-80F6-4C3F-B338-3117EE85DA64_zps

Equipment:

Orphek pr7 bulb

hydor 25w heater

I upgraded to the 606 return pump

Stock:

1 sexy shrimp (2 more on the way)

torch

blue cloves

pipe organ

acans

blasto

a few different zoas.

Anthelia

Filtration:

I plugged up the lower hole in the wall, all I use is a sponge in the overflow. Plus, I turned an old small biopellet reactor into a fuge using the stock pump. This does mean it's not really an aio anymore, so maybe I'm cheating? It's all natural bio filtration though.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/jacksetsfire/media/97689668-E3E5-45E9-8842-6DC045CB7A92_zpspji77vzb.jpg.html'>97689668-E3E5-45E9-8842-6DC045CB7A92_zps

My magnetic scraper is a nimble nano. I do wish the magnets were a bit stronger, but the wet side is less than 1/4" thick, so it works really well for what it is.

I love this tank. I probably spend more time staring at it than any of my bigger tanks.

• Like 1

My LPS are loving it. So far I've added a frogspawn, a few duncan heads and a torch and they all open up completely. My torch is even directly across from the return in one of the highest flow areas in the tank and it gets HUGE when the lights are on.

I think I need to get some rocks in my tank =P. When I upgraded from the stock to 606, my macroalgae flew everywhere. Right now, the tank has nothing but some rubles.

Anyone have suggestions on replacement lighting for the spec v? I have a couple par 38 bulbs but i dont hace fuxtures for them?? Suggestions on fixtures?? I had voral compulsion fuxtures but returned because obe almost caught my house on fire due to a defect in design...

The connection corroded and the line coming from the gooseneck came out where the clamp is and got pinched and started breaking thru the insulation on the cord.... It started to short out and could have started a fire if i hadnt been home doing a wc at the time...wasnt very happy.....

Anyone have suggestions on replacement lighting for the spec v? I have a couple par 38 bulbs but i dont hace fuxtures for them?? Suggestions on fixtures?? I had voral compulsion fuxtures but returned because obe almost caught my house on fire due to a defect in design...

i have a Current Orbit fixture over mine, fits the dimensions perfect in 18" and has very nice color

Panorama Pro strips are a pretty good option for the Spec V, but you have to fabricate a way to mount them. I have 2 Panorama Pro strips over my Spec. 1 strip is plenty of light, I only have 2 so I can dial in the color where I want it.

Paandemonium

I already have a Fluval so it's not about coming to any side, lol. It's just about keeping it since I can still return it.

Just still trying to figure everything out.

If you wanna get rid of it sell it to me.... ill bribe you with corals B)

The ones I posted were available on Prime for free shipping...just over $5 delivered! They are also about two inches longer, which is nice.

I like the angled ends on yours, and think that having both might help cover all situations. Might have to think about scoring a pair.

Definitely a necessity, but funny that every single pair of these budget tweezers I've had rusts after a few uses even if I wash and dry them immediately.

I prefer the angled ones myself.

Here is my little spec2 as of 10 minutes ago.

54872C19-80F6-4C3F-B338-3117EE85DA64_zps

Equipment:

Orphek pr7 bulb

hydor 25w heater

I upgraded to the 606 return pump

Stock:

1 sexy shrimp (2 more on the way)

torch

blue cloves

pipe organ

acans

blasto

a few different zoas.

Anthelia

Filtration:

I plugged up the lower hole in the wall, all I use is a sponge in the overflow. Plus, I turned an old small biopellet reactor into a fuge using the stock pump. This does mean it's not really an aio anymore, so maybe I'm cheating? It's all natural bio filtration though.

97689668-E3E5-45E9-8842-6DC045CB7A92_zps

My magnetic scraper is a nimble nano. I do wish the magnets were a bit stronger, but the wet side is less than 1/4" thick, so it works really well for what it is.

I love this tank. I probably spend more time staring at it than any of my bigger tanks.

OOo thats so smart making that reactor into a little fuge. i so wanna do that too! i have cheato inside a breeder box in my tank and really hate how it looks since i have an extra pump in the back chamber i cant make it into a fuge :( can you pm the details about it ??

Ive recently taken my spec v bb..easy to suck up the junk now..ive also got a pink stylo in and seems to b doing well,ive just gotten my boostled reef clamp lamp fixture and im pickin up 2 zoa frags and a rainbow pocci frag saturday at my club meeting in md... Pucs once all in place and lamp...

This past December I started up a Fluval Spec V. So far I have been enjoying it. I will get pictures up of the current tank shortly. This is my first reef tank, so i have been trying to take things slow and been doing water changes often.

Part:

Fluval Spec V

Oceanic biocube protein skimmer

Razer nano LED

50W Heater

10lb's Live sand & 8+lb's partly live rock

Ecotech MP10

Currently in the tank

3 Red leg hermits

4 sexy Shrimp

1 red and white banded pistol shrimp

1 Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby

Have to go through to see what frags I currently have in the tank.

I am trying to figure out a way to add Chaeto and make it efficient enough to make a difference. So far I was thinking off adding a Auqa Gadget MagnaFuge LED Light - Innovative Marine to the back and stuffing it full of Chaeto along with the chem pure elite.

Ended up getting a par30 bulb from coral compulsion. I picked up a little Xenia today just to finally get some real livestock going. Hoping to get some free coral over the weekend from a friend when he cleans up his 96 gallon reef.. will update as she's coming along. :)

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/redpenguin01/media/047_zps3c12c115.jpg.html'>047_zps3c12c115.jpg

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/redpenguin01/media/043_zpsbdf13018.jpg.html'>043_zpsbdf13018.jpg

• Like 2

Ended up getting a par30 bulb from coral compulsion. I picked up a little Xenia today just to finally get some real livestock going. Hoping to get some free coral over the weekend from a friend when he cleans up his 96 gallon reef.. will update as she's coming along. :)

047_zps3c12c115.jpg

043_zpsbdf13018.jpg

Is that a yellow encrusting sponge in all the cracks on that rock work? I've been battling that nasty stuff for months and it's so far taken out 2 SPS colonies and a nice frag of fire zoas. I have found a pencil urchin that has shown interest in mine, but you may want to deal with it now rather than later. I think I'd take bryopsis over this demon.

Here's a closeup picture of mine in my 90.

IMG_0660%20(Custom).JPG

I took back the Xenia earlier today. Think I might just replace that piece of live rock all-together. I tried scrubbing and scraping it for 2 hours out of the tank; any pieces left just turned black and filled just about every void in the remaining rock... PITA is all I can say (reminiscent of black algae with freshwater).

I'll probably hold off on adding any coral for another 1.5-2 weeks... have a 'business' trip to Vegas planned for next Friday. Back to staring at a nude tank until my return..

Someone locally said vinegar works. I'm still attempting the holistic approach.

Funny some people don't have any problem with them, but mine started to take off a few months ago and hasn't really slowed down.