Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

I figured we might have critical mass for a thread dedicated to these nice little tanks...2, 2.5, and 5G welcome. Edges and other non-Spec Fluvals GTFO! :haha:

Would like to see setup descriptions, recent FTS shots from owners, and comments about issues, equipment, scaping, etc.

In my mind

• Return pump issues, multiple pumps, in-tank powerheads, etc.
  • Filtration and media racks i.e. inTank Fluval rack
  • Lighting
  • Heaters
  • Stocking, corals and fish

are all pertinent topics. All other ideas welcome!

I will lead off with pics after I move some coral up into the rockwork from the sandbed later today.

• Like 4

Im getting my post ready! Great thread! :)

FTS (Link in Signature)
IMG_0887_zps74c54658.jpg

Tank: Fluval Spec V 5.5Gallon tank
Lighting: DIY LED in stock housing. 3x 3UP CREE LEDS 2x UV LEDS
Royal Blue LED on 1 driver 700mA driver with dimmer
UV & NW on 1 driver 700mA driver with dimmer
Flow: Mini jet 606 pump to a Hydor Rotating Deflector running at 1/2 & Stock fluval spec v pump
Filration: Running Floss and Sponge ATM
Heater: Hydor 25W Heater
Issues: Cleaning the glass, a nano mag is your best friend (get 2 little fish mag) Flow is a big issue also. Also i find it hard to keep the temperature stable but its slowly getting better.

Livestock
- Cleaner shrimp DEAD
- Yasha goby (06/04/2013) DEAD-(10/17/13)
- 4 Sexy shirmp - down to 3
- 2 Pom Pom carbs - down to 1
- Porcelain Crab
- Candy Cane Pistal
- Clown Fish

Corals to date.(12/25/2013)
Softy
- GSP
- Pulsing xenia
- 2 ric yumas
- 1 Ric florida
- 1 Mushroom coral
- Flower pot coral
SPS
- Pink Montipora cap
- Green Montipora cap
- Purple montipora cap
- Rainbow encrusting Montipora (bleached)
- Green Montipora digitata
Zoa/Polyp
- Neon Pink Zoa (bleached)
- Dark Cherry people eaters (bleached)
- Magician paly
- Devil's Armpr zoa
- Sunny D zoa
- Red Cherry people eaters
- MJC sriracha
- Utter Chaos Paly
- Oj Skirt Zoa
- Hawaiian Punch zoa
LPS/NPS
- Dendros
- Hammer Coral
- Golden Tip Octospawn
- Rainbow Acan

i'll update if i missed anything

• Like 1

Curious what others are doing in terms of return pumps. A lot of folks are doing a Minijet 606 replacement of stock...which I can tell you gives substantial flow!

Others have added ANOTHER pump, keeping the stock return and plumbing it through a hole drilled into the back wall. I like this idea but it precludes using the very ncie inTank media rack.

The 2/2.5G units are too small for a circulation pump in the main display...but I am getting something like 75X turnover! The V might be big enough for a pump in the display without crowding.

• Like 1

Been super lazy recently but here's my spec v build thread.

Special grade reef sand with about 2.5lbs of BRS pukani.

Lighting is DIY Cree CW/RB LED's.

Intank media basket, w/606 return into a hydor rotating deflector. Plenty of flow for the whole tank but the hydor stops rotating due to colonista snails almost daily.

Fishless with mainly ricordeas and zoas and red macros. I have a digi and a green monti cap that I threw in after breaking them off in my main tank, both are growing well.

Here's mine http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/336786-tone2s-fluval-spec-v/

Also a couple of quick questions for anyone that's running an MP10 on their spec. I have an MP10 just collecting dust right now and was thinking about sticking it in the spec.

1. Is it though to find a spot were it won't make a sandstorm in such a small tank?

2. Are you running it with one of the pico shields or just normal.

3. If you can share any +/- or challenges you've had running it I'd appreciate it.

I'm wondering if I should kee my Spec V or get something else. Probably cost me 100.00 or so to upgrade the lighting, with a JBJ Biocube maybe I wouldn't have to and I'd still wind up being around the same price total, but have more gallons.

I do like pico, but I could go nano.

Thoughts?

jbj stock lights are relatively weak, ok for softies and LPS. You are about $100 for a decent light...would get a media basket, CPE/pyrogens. And mini jet 606 return upgrade. Still cheaper I think, and a very clean tank and less than the JBJ, with an albeit smaller footprint. Take a look at my thread build. Lots of good Fluval builds here!

I'm wondering if I should kee my Spec V or get something else. Probably cost me 100.00 or so to upgrade the lighting, with a JBJ Biocube maybe I wouldn't have to and I'd still wind up being around the same price total, but have more gallons.

I do like pico, but I could go nano.

Thoughts?

You can usually find a used Skkye IM led on some of these forums and I've seem them as low as $45! With the V, though, you definitely have to upgrade the pump or get a powerhead just because of flow problems.

Think the Fluval would end up costing about half of bio cube. Lower volume would be a little less forgiving, and limit your fish choice.

Matter of taste from there...come to the dark (Fluval) side!

• Like 1

I already have a Fluval so it's not about coming to any side, lol. It's just about keeping it since I can still return it.

Just still trying to figure everything out.

• Like 1

Custom media basket would work fine. I'm running a custom basket and upgraded the pump to a 606. It's more than enough flow/filtration for LPS and softies. A light upgrade is a must on the Spec though

• Like 1

I have a spec v..ive replaced pump with marineland 606 for return and put in a koralia nano 240 AND got the new in tank media basket...easy peasy...ive come to the dark side..have you???? 8)

• Like 1

I have a spec v..ive replaced pump with marineland 606 for return and put in a koralia nano 240 AND got the new in tank media basket...easy peasy...ive come to the dark side..have you???? 8)

I thought 606 was already a tad too much flow for LPS...

So then the question is would 95 GPH pump be enough? Just trying to use something I already have.

I have the 606 in my 2G Spec...flow is awesome. I do want to keep some SPS, so high flow is important. Think the 606 in a V would be great for LPS and softies.

Sorry...I was replying to Ninja originally, as it was not my experience that the 606 was TOO much.

You might get away with what you have, unless you are going with an SPS that needs high flow. Have to watch to make sure you do not have any dead space where detritus accumulates, etc.

Apologize for the confusion.

I thought 606 was already a tad too much flow for LPS...

My LPS are loving it. So far I've added a frogspawn, a few duncan heads and a torch and they all open up completely. My torch is even directly across from the return in one of the highest flow areas in the tank and it gets HUGE when the lights are on.

So the two people I can find that added a second pump where the filter media goes both added the second one pretty high. I remember seeing someone add theirs low. Wondering which is better. Since there's a rock in the middle of the tank I'm thinking higher might be better, I can always angle it down with the nozzle, but I'm not sure I could angle it up if I put it on the bottom.

Looking for that persons tank, maybe I can ask how it worked out for them.

• Like 1