Innovative Marine Aquariums

Palythoa Morph Identification Please

ReviloM

I'm pretty confident those are zoanthids. if you're actually interested, check out the species ID guide in my sig

Looks like two rows on the skirt. I say paly.

Looks like something WWC would charge $80+ pp for look on their forums on R2R I could have sworn they have something similar if not exactly the same

This is not a differentiator between the two species.

This is a species of zoanthid, which clearly has two rows on the skirt:

wham06.jpg

Nuclear green palys, which are palythoa, clearly also have two rows:

nucleargreens.jpg

Here is the ID guide from the article for those who don't want to click or read through:

1. Sand incorporated into outer column of polyps, polyps feel rough----10.

2. Polyps feel smooth to the touch, lack sand ---3.

3. Polyps embedded into coenenchyme forming a dense mat-like colony Zoanthus kuroshio (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus aff. pulchellus (Caribbean)

4. Polyps are not embedded into coenenchyme---5.

5. Closed polyps have large white striped pattern and mouth is green in color --- Zoanthus gigantus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus solanderi (Caribbean)

6. Closed polyps display only minor markings or no obvious markings at all --- 7.

7. Open polyps display a radial pattern, often a variation of red, pink or purple with a white mouth --- Zoanthus pulchellus (Caribbean) Zoanthus vietnamensis (Indo-Pacific)

8. Coloration of oral disk does not display a radial pattern--- 9.

9. Oral disk may be a variety of colors displaying sometimes elaborate color patterns--- Zoanthus sansibaricus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus sociatus (Caribbean)

10. Polyps may be unitary or interconnected but are not embedded into the coenechyme, tentacles appear straight, alternating up and down --- Palythoa mutuki (Indo-Pacific) Palythoa grandiflora (Caribbean)

11. Polyps generally connected to several other polyps at base, tentacles appear curled---12.

12. Polyps are large and are brown or green in color but lack florescence--- Palythoa grandis (Caribbean)

13. Polyps contain green florescent protein or display some other florescent coloration--- Palythoa sp. “singapura” (Indo-Pacific)

EDIT: More from the article

Distinguishing the Genus Palythoa from Zoanthus

Members of Zoanthus do not incorporate sand into their polyps, members of Palythoa do incorporate sand and other debris into their polyps. The confusion in the hobby is mostly from the incorrect usage of “Paly” to refer to individuals of the species Zoanthus gigantus, Zoanthus solanderi. This should be actively discouraged because it creates unnecessary confusion between the otherwise easily distinguished genera.

Looks like something WWC would charge $80+ pp for look on their forums on R2R I could have sworn they have something similar if not exactly the same

Thanks. I started looking. I am on page 7 and no such luck yet. I am hoping I can't find it so I can name myself.

It does appear to look that way.

This is not a differentiator between the two species.

This is a species of zoanthid, which clearly has two rows on the skirt:

wham06.jpg

Nuclear green palys, which are palythoa, clearly also have two rows:

nucleargreens.jpg

Here is the ID guide from the article for those who don't want to click or read through:

2. Polyps feel smooth to the touch, lack sand ---3.

3. Polyps embedded into coenenchyme forming a dense mat-like colony Zoanthus kuroshio (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus aff. pulchellus (Caribbean)

4. Polyps are not embedded into coenenchyme---5.

5. Closed polyps have large white striped pattern and mouth is green in color --- Zoanthus gigantus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus solanderi (Caribbean)

6. Closed polyps display only minor markings or no obvious markings at all --- 7.

7. Open polyps display a radial pattern, often a variation of red, pink or purple with a white mouth --- Zoanthus pulchellus (Caribbean) Zoanthus vietnamensis (Indo-Pacific)

8. Coloration of oral disk does not display a radial pattern--- 9.

9. Oral disk may be a variety of colors displaying sometimes elaborate color patterns--- Zoanthus sansibaricus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus sociatus (Caribbean)

10. Polyps may be unitary or interconnected but are not embedded into the coenechyme, tentacles appear straight, alternating up and down --- Palythoa mutuki (Indo-Pacific) Palythoa grandiflora (Caribbean)

11. Polyps generally connected to several other polyps at base, tentacles appear curled---12.

12. Polyps are large and are brown or green in color but lack florescence--- Palythoa grandis (Caribbean)

13. Polyps contain green florescent protein or display some other florescent coloration--- Palythoa sp. “singapura” (Indo-Pacific)

That may be true. TBH it doesn't really matter to me if it is a paly or zoa. I am just seeking to identify its common name for labeling. But this one I know doesn't fit its profile:

What does it matter if it's already named or not? Name it already! Anyone asks you what it is you tell them the name you gave it, anyone knows differently and they'll tell you the name. Either way it's a win for you lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that they are actually morphed date nights. The red pigment mixed with green to form the yellow morph. Buddythelion has the stage between the red date nights and the yellow morph I had.

Archived