Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best Heater?

awpong

Currently, what are the best heaters on the market? I'm looking for something that WON'T explode, and something that has an ACCURATE temperature gauge.

Thoughts?

I have a Colbalt neo-therm and it hasn't done me wrong. I wouldn't say that its the best because there are so many to chose from but its darn good IMO.

Problem with cobalt is i'll need at least a 200W heater. I think the neotherm only goes up to 150W

Buy two 100w's then! These things are awesome!

http://www.bigalspets.com/neo-therm-heater-200-w.html'>http://www.bigalspets.com/neo-therm-heater-200-w.html I actually found a 200 Watt neo therm. It looks like it has great reviews, and seems to be popular here, so I might give that a try.

I tried a fluval before, but the temp gauge on it didn't work, so it always heated everything up to 90+. I'm a little hesitant to try one of those again.

I have a 200 watt neotherm and it is rock solid!
Problem with cobalt is i'll need at least a 200W heater. I think the neotherm only goes up to 150W

I seriously doubt you need a 200 watt heater. How big is your tank and what is your room temp?

They have a 200w.

I recently swapped out my 150w Eheim jager for 2x 100w Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm. I was getting 4-5F swings daily, now with 2x NeoTherm, temps has been really stable (78-79F). I really like the design and the construction is solid. Also, the best price I've found on them is on Amazon.

I'm getting a 50 Gallon tank with a 18 gallon sump.

So about 50 gallon total volume? A 200 watt heater can raise your water temperature 20 degrees. Add in heat generated by lights and return pump, let's say 22 degrees (that's conservative). Do you regularly keep the room that your tank is in 56 degrees or cooler? If not, you don't need a 200 watt heater.

I use aqueon pro heaters. They are spot on temp and they have never broken. I had a light go out on one but it still worked and the company replaced it no problem. I own 6 of them and all have been in use for years.

wow.such.chris

I personally own a cobalt aquatic neo-therm 75W. Insanely slim profile and looks great. I picked it after exploding a glass aqueon, of my own fault. Not a problem with the neo-therm yet, keeps things vvery consistant from what I've noticed. The only issue is that the display temp is a few degrees off. Nothing worth complaining about and after getting it dialed in it won't move anyways but is worth mentioning. I can't compain about accuracy w/o a controller though.

I currently have two neo therm heaters on my 75 gallon cube once I had them dialed in I have had no problem at all with temp keeps my tank between 78 and 78.8 degrees for the last several months. Rock solid product if you ask me .

Jackal_Knight

talk about deja vu not only is it a strip club i've been wanting to go to, but i know i've seen a few other threads about heaters. did you use the search for the site? not trying to be that guy but I am this time :wizard:

seems like everyone really like the neo therm heaters, ive never used them but if i didn't have a controller they would be my first choices, i like the ehiem jager heaters just bought a 100w but they sent me a 125w. i had a 50w but i wast able to maintain my them at night when room temp was in the high 40's but with the 125w on a controller the temp is rock solid at 79

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/2013-12-13_21-54-09_492_zpszlit03y4.jpg.html'>2013-12-13_21-54-09_492_zpszlit03y4.jpg

I have never had a ehiem jäger fail on me, knock on wood. I have had one running 6 years consistently no problems. I wouldnt say they are the best but in terms of reliability they are up there.

no way you need 200w. I run 100w on a 75 with a 30g sump. pumps and lights generate most of my heat and the heater just needs to add a hair more. plus especially when youre talking big heaters two are better than one. then if one heater gets stuck on its going to raise your tank temp a decent bit but its not going to boil anything. a 200w heater gets stuck on and you'll make a nice Jacuzzi out of your reef.

A 200w will work just fine, personally I would go with a 150w & a 100w heater for your size tank. The chances of the heater being stuck on is pretty minimum, most of the stories I've come across with people frying their tanks are user error, heater coupled with a aquarium controller.

I like the Fluval E heaters. their electronic thermometer is pretty accurate (more so than the dials on traditional heaters) and kept the temps pretty rock solid. Its a bit pricy but it havent failed me for the last 3 years or so

Archived