ReefCleaners.org

[10] Upgraded to a 10 for the time being.

Steelen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So my wife ordered a 5.5 gallon so that I can start small. She just really wants the Nemo and Anomone so we will get a juvi clownfish.

L2w2FW0.jpg

I wonder if the height of the MP10 is good enough? And where should I put the heater? As low as possible was my thought. And yes its a 150w because all this stuff is from my 40 gallon. Will also be putting the A360WE on there later.

Then I have to wait for my buddy to come back so I pick up his live sand he will donate to kick start! So keep a close on the things to come. Ill probably fiddle with the rocks in the next few days also.

So the rock work is done. When I went to put on the gooseneck I realized its missing the bridge to connect the Kessil to the gooseneck. Called my LFS and he is looking into it.

Here are the shots I took.

xQlCCN4.jpg

a2DBsRx.jpg

PpoxFy7.jpg

We are debating on getting a lamp shade so that it doesnt go around the whole bedroom with this tank size.

Also what setting should I use on the MP10? I will turn it down all the way but not sure which setting is best. Anyone with suggestions?

I kept an MP10 in my 4g tank for a while. I used the foam filter on it which slowed down the flow rate by about 50%. Once I did that, I was able to turn it up to about the third or fourth light without blowing everything away.

The problem with putting it on the lowest setting is that all the special modes vary the speed between the minimum and whatever you set as the maximum. When you set it on the lowest setting, there's no difference between max and min, and it just blows at the same speed all the time. Then you've ended up with a very expensive power head :)

I kept an MP10 in my 4g tank for a while. I used the foam filter on it which slowed down the flow rate by about 50%. Once I did that, I was able to turn it up to about the third or fourth light without blowing everything away.

The problem with putting it on the lowest setting is that all the special modes vary the speed between the minimum and whatever you set as the maximum. When you set it on the lowest setting, there's no difference between max and min, and it just blows at the same speed all the time. Then you've ended up with a very expensive power head :)

Are you referring to the foam that was around the powerhead when you bought it? Or was there a foam filter you purchased for it?

I'd like to use it potential you know. I bought it for the 40g but if I can get some experience with it etc that would help me down the line.

It came with the filter. But BRS or marine Depot carry replacements if you don't have one. The only problem is you have to clean the filter every few days.

Ok thanks. There won't be much in it because its only a 5 gallon but ill keep an eye on the debris.

I did get one. I thought it was for protection in the box. Ill put it on later this week when we pick up the live sand from my friend.

Good luck! In a bigger tank you would only need it if you had critters like starfish or small fish that might want to climb in and get pureed :)

Wife just told that the wide angle is too wide. Since its close to the bed I agree with her. Hopefully a cheap lamp shade can fix that in some way otherwise I might have to buy the Kessil a160...

Ok, i missed a lot here.

Your 40 turned into a 5.5.

And your light is way too high. Turn intensity down, lower Kessil until the beam edge just touches the tank edge. You're going to have light leak out that anyway. Ditch the lampshade idea.

Put MP10 behind rocks and lower, setting nutrient export will move poop into water column to be filtered out.

Well, thats what i would do, sorta. I would buy a Jebao rx4 or 2 instead(1 in front, 1 in back). Sell the MP10. Its about half the size, aimable, but cord in tank (hate), half the price. Or try that new Tunze vertical Nano, in the corner. I use to be adamant against Jebao pumps, not now, pretty pro on them for good reasons.

Ok, i missed a lot here.

Your 40 turned into a 5.5.

And your light is way too high. Turn intensity down, lower Kessil until the beam edge just touches the tank edge. You're going to have light leak out that anyway. Ditch the lampshade idea.

Put MP10 behind rocks and lower, setting nutrient export will move poop into water column to be filtered out.

Well, thats what i would do, sorta. I would buy a Jebao rx4 or 2 instead(1 in front, 1 in back). Sell the MP10. Its about half the size, aimable, but cord in tank (hate), half the price. Or try that new Tunze vertical Nano, in the corner. I use to be adamant against Jebao pumps, not now, pretty pro on them for good reasons.

Didnt turn the 40 into a 5. We still have the 40 but cannot set it up in this house its too small. Living with in-laws since I immigrated to the USA, cant work yet.

So won't be selling anything just for the 5 gallon. All the stuff I put on this 5 is for meant for the 40. My wife bought the 5 as a surprise since I have nothing to do due to immigration restrictions.

The light, intensity, was already on its lowest. I try and put the light lower to the tank, that could work. And put the mp10 lower, at rock height, hopefully it won't blow sand all over the place but we shall see this week. Might move the tank to a different spot also to see if that works better.

She complained because it was hitting her pillow and that would suck waking up for her on days off.

Filling up a 5 gallon bucket with water but the pressure is pretty low so it takes a longggg time.

Guess we will have to figure out a different way for next time. Right now its through a hoose from outside to the garage (only free spot without being in the way).

Tomorrow evening ill be picking up the sand.

Updated the tank about. My father-in-law made a lid for it. He is a carpenter and wanted to go all out haha

D24yvQj.jpg

h5QJFEj.jpg

Tomorrow evening sand day! And during the day we will make saltwater! Hooray we are there almost :-)

Sand it in, water is in. Waiting for it to settle till I take a picture.

Also my LFS called and said my Kessil Spectral came in! Should be a fun time.

Question. The lagoon setting how should I set it up?

It goes from low to mid and back. Is that the right setting?

Tank is setup. Hopefully by the morning it will all have cleared up and I can take a picture! I also did a quick API test for shits and giggles. Was no nitrite, a bit of amonia and some nitrate. Got the sand from a friend so next week ill test again and if all good ill order the clean up crew.

Added a bit of filter from my IM40 in there to maybe help with the cloudiness. So far no change so might take it out and let time do its thing.

Here is a shot with the lights off.

Ak7Dm9g.jpg

Now with Kessil controller! Also the water cleared up most of it. Its dirty in this picture because I cleaned the glass and moved the sand (found a frag plug in there haha)

LLls0mV.jpg

FYL3qtv.jpg

Archived