Top Shelf Aquatics

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

A wacky update.... Just got back after 5 day in NC... tank is completely perfect with one noticeable change.

I found my 16" wide Red Planet, entirely, fell off the acrylic back wall, and is now resting against the wall still above everything! :D:lol:

• Like 2

A wacky update.... Just got back after 5 day in NC... tank is completely perfect with one noticeable change.

I found my 16" wide Red Planet, entirely, fell off the acrylic back wall, and is now resting against the wall still above everything! :D:lol:

Where in NC?

Interesting to hear this about the coral falling off. There is no texture on the back wall correct?

SouthFlorida_Tron

Where in NC?

Interesting to hear this about the coral falling off. There is no texture on the back wall correct?

Brother and his fam are over in Wake Forest, just north of Raleigh. Great country area... so different than South FL.

Ya no texture... it encrusted and encrusted and encrusted and i guess got so front heavy with the colony that it slid off like a pancake on a non stick pan!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Fragz for days. Big ass colony there

Ive just left it for now, isn't bothering anything, and I'm lazy...

I thought about posting the entire thing on classifieds here or reef central... think someone would bite?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 2:53 PM, SouthFlorida_Tron said:

Well, another CAD PLS-50 skimmer pump that didnt last..... :(

My skimmer pump died after 6 months, so when I replaced it I do my WCs with it still on.  I just turn down the bubbles until the WC is done.  I don't think skimmer pumps can withstand being turned off and on a lot.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Its my second pump, i wonder if i still have the original i kept for emergencies...

Maybe i can look at skimming alternatives... any nano suggestions? not much space back there...

• 1 month later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

Algae everywhere, a pissed off frogspawn, skyrocketed and undroppable magnesium, bone sucking alkalinity.... 

so done with this aquarium.......... on the verge of Rage Quit B)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yes, have done two this week, another 5 gallons on tuesday.... 

Acros still looking good, just the frogspawn closed up probably due to high magnesium, and now algae developing on the branches... maybe need more crabs to help clean it up.

• 2 months later...
SouthFlorida_Tron
On 6/21/2017 at 11:20 PM, RollaJase said:

Tank is looking amazing mate, congratulations.

Thanks! Although its not quite what it used to be....

Ever since the Red Planet crashed down off the wall, its continuing to grow quickly, but now its having residual effects.... its dampening the light the frogspawn receives, some parts are bleaching from no light, and some spots the polyps aren't extending fully....

Another report.... the valida i removed back in 2014 is somehow back to its full colony size........... somehow...... from tissue on a rock, to colony.....

****when it was pulled from display*****

14516892790_651ccf1d5d_c.jpgColonies by Jon L, on Flickr

******old pic to show valida*******

14511048131_ae964b62dd_c.jpgFull Tank Shot by Jon L, on Flickr

*******TODAY********

35459092641_bbdbf07c44_c.jpgValida 6-28-17 by Jon L, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SouthFlorida_Tron
13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

woah, how did you get it off the wall in one piece?????

Back in February i came home one night and it had fallen on its own. The encrusted part gave out and it just sat there resting against the wall... been growing since! It was heavy.... made tons of space for new growth. There is still tissue and some outward growth already so it'll come back!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1