SaltCritters.com

[Aqua Japan 24] My reentry to the world of reefing.

AZReefJunkie

About a year ago I got feed up with my 110 and downsized to an oceanic illuminata that I got for a steal. It was a rushed setup and I was never really pleased with how it came out so I sold it off and took a break from the hobby and just helped my wife with her biocube. Well it wasn't long before I started to get the itch. So I have been gathering things and doing a lot of reading and I'm now back in with an Aqua Japan 24 gallon nano. I wanted a simple and clean setup with as little in the display area as possible so to cover my flow needs I installed a Rio hf8 as the return pump hoping to eliminate the need for any powerheads in the display area.

For lighting I knew I wanted LEDs and ultimately decided to build my own and settled on the Lumia 5.1 with ldd drivers and a coralux storm controller and a CPU heatsink to keep it cool. I brought it in to reef culture a couple weeks ago to do some rough PAR readings under it to get an idea of its output and it performed well enough that I should be able to dial in exactly the color and intensity I want and be able to support anything I want to put in. Have been cycling some dry rock for a few weeks and added a large chunk of live rock and a few critters to help move things along.

post-81281-0-88773200-1386514900_thumb.jpg

FTS with the lights off. I know it looks ugly, I'll try to post a better pic when the lights come on

post-81281-0-16551300-1386515041_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the pendant

post-81281-0-29287300-1386515193_thumb.jpg

Archived