inTank Media Baskets

The "BEST" Amino Acid?

basser1

17 hours ago, nanoreeFan said:

another one with good luck here on Red Sea Reef Energy A and B

If you don't mind me asking, what improvements did you hope to see by dosing AA?  How long did those improvements take for you to notice the benefit? 

When I dosed Red Sea A+B I noticed fluffier Acans, longer skirts on my Zoas, and an increase in uptake on Alk at about 8 days. The Aiptasia liked it as well, so remember when dosing AA’s you are feeding everything in the tank. The pain for me with Red Sea is that refrigeration is required so this meant manual dosing. Because I travel a lot with work, finding non refrigerated additives are a must have.

• Thanks 1

My tank is way to clean. My Nitrte and Phosphate constantly zero and coral look a little pale. For see adding a little nutrition for coral uptake. 

I Also just bought NeoNitro and Neophos to rain mu NO2 and PO4 level a little

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you're still a believer in ULNS there's no reason to be dosing amino acids.  Even then if you're feeding your fish a quality diet, there's still no need.  They food contains all the amino's a tank will need.

If you're farming corals for maximum growth in a fish-free system that otherwise has no nutrient source then doing this could make sense.  (Probably more efficacious than particulate feeding.  Especially with some corals.) 

Not in a regular reef tank though.

In a reef, dosing amino's if basically just dosing a carbon and nitrogen source with a little trace element mixed in (which lives inside the "R" on the diagram and is depdent on which amino we're talking about).  Nor particularly helpful....and brings no phosphates into the equation, which could be a problem if this really is the only nutrient source in a real UNLS (ie fish-less) system.

AminoAcidball.svg.jpg

It was running to clean before. Let coral amino run out and just dosing AcroPower. One that runs out probably won't dose any. The biggest changer was stopping the NOPOX. Doing once a week Reefroid/Reefchili mix with all pumps off x 30 mintes in th morning before lights one. One a week Fauna Marine LPS food pellets

• Like 1