inTank Media Baskets

The "BEST" Amino Acid?

basser1

Also based off one study using Stylophora pistillata. A coral is not a coral is not a coral. Tons of marketing hype to sell expensive products, that probably have some benefit, how much is a good question.

That being said I have been dosing Red Sea Reef Energy 4ml each, followed by a two squats of phytoplakton. I can't really say it helps with coloration or growth as the frags might be doing there natural course, but it does fill my skimmer 30 minutes afterwords.

I have been using acropower @ about 1ml/day for 2 months now. I cannot really say that it has helped/hurt any SPS. It is not a magic cure-all, so if you are looking to dramatically increase growth and color in your corals, look elsewhere. There may be some benefits, but I have always had good colors in my acros so who knows? :D

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2504.jpgIMG_2499.jpg

• Like 4

Great pics, Ark! I've got a liter of acropower arriving tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my results here in a couple of weeks or so.

A liter? wow.

• Like 1

I've been using acropower for a week and I took before pictures so I'll report back after a month or two. I used zeo for a half a year and I love it but it's a lot of $$$ so I decided to give acropower a shot. Haven't noticed much but it's only been a week so I'll report back with what I see and experience.

IMO there is not such thing as the perfect supplement.AA are organics and must not be confused with trace elements.

As mentioned before whatever the AA is if there are enough nutrients in the system you cant see any impact on corals.

However if you keep alkalinity near nsw levels,and try to manage and keep PO4 really ultra low(with the proper test kit) an AA supplement can make the corals more colorful if not overdosed.

I surely have spended enough money on AA supplements.Those I tried was FM ultra amin,Seachem Reef+,Salifert coral amino,KZ aa.VItaliser,pohls extra.

They all work if dosed right.Corals can recover faster from cuttings,and turn more colorful,or more brown if overdosed.

The thing with the zeo method is corals kept in really ultra low nutrient environment.almost starved to death until they look more pale.The corals adapt to this environment over time.

Of course AA supplements and so many other supplements are required for this method to work,together with a hooked up hobbyist over his tank.

• Like 2

Im up to about 400g's total volume now. I dont think even a litre will last all that long, lol.

Well aren't you the cool kid on the block? :P

Great read on this subject I saw today. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals

Edit: Someone should start a kickstarter to actually TEST how/if amino acids help our coral in a tank-system. The author lays out a decent guideline, but not extensive enough to draw any conclusions. It would take months/years to do properly. Maybe something I do eventually anyways.

• Like 2

Great read on this subject I saw today. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals

Edit: Someone should start a kickstarter to actually TEST how/if amino acids help our coral in a tank-system. The author lays out a decent guideline, but not extensive enough to draw any conclusions. It would take months/years to do properly. Maybe something I do eventually anyways.

Tibbs.... I started to read that article, but it made my head hurt reading and tryin to understand all of the techie stuff...

I just want to know what works!!!

Tibbs.... I started to read that article, but it made my head hurt reading and tryin to understand all of the techie stuff...

I just want to know what works!!!

The short answer is that we don't know. We know how amino acids are important and we know how the coral acquire them. What we don't know is whether supplementing amino acids is beneficial versus normal feeding. Maybe, maybe not. Kind of like humans and multi-vitamins. I proposed an experiment in my tank thread. Still mulling it over.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but my best results came from dosing sky vodka 70 proof at 1 drop per 30 gallons and then adding the KZ phols xtra at the recommended dosage.

i'd dose the Vodka on monday and the phols xtra on tuesday i'd never dose them at the same time and notice a lot of improvement on my 200g DD when i had it.

I started with daily dosing Vodka over 30 days to my Biocube 29g i have a full write up of my results just from the Vodka dosing, but i also was looking for something that would improve my colors as well, i decided to use the KZ phols xtra because i read so many promising thread's about results, as with a lot of things in this hobby it is mainly trial and error, i never had any negative's dosing the phols xtra with the vodka dosed on opposite day's i honestly believe this is the best and cheapest method to get quick results, i had a sps coral that did nothing in my 200g for 3+ months until i started doing the vodka and phols dosing. i always fed a ton of food and a big variety before i tried the Vodka and the phols.

I've been using acropower for almost a year. I do notice an increase in PE when I dose, and I see more florescence in certain SPS if that makes sense?? :) It's not what Reefbuilders made it out to be, but I think the corals benefit from it. If I stopped dosing I don't think my tank would suffer at all, but I bought a 32oz bottle last year and it last a longs time :)

I wasn't dosing any amino acids and started using acropower. Within a few weeks I can honestly say that color and polyp extension increased notably on my acropora and montipora. Nothing else was changed during that period. Thats not to say acropower is better then another amino acid supplement, but it did make a difference, at least in my tank.

• 2 weeks later...

If I hold a steak in front of you, your mouth would water!!

If I don't give you the steak to eat or just let you lick it probably not helping.

• 6 months later...

Didn't know where to post this and i didn't want to start a new thread so here it goes.

Ive been using Red Sea Reef Energy A and B for about 2 months now. I cannot say for sure that i have noticed color and growth in my corals though. They were coloring up slightly and growing before i started dosing. What i can say is this. The small sponge population in my shaded areas of the tank have exploded in growth. The micro fauna in general just seem to be thriving more. Have any had similar results using an amino acid supplement?

• 4 years later...

Wow long time since I have been on this thread. The new it amino acids are the Brightwell Coral Amino’s. 

Any thoughts on Acropower vs Coral Amino?

I am actually using both now, 10 ml/day Acropower on the dose (bought a massive gallon supply) and hand dosing Coral Amino just before feeding the fish in the evening. 

I can’t seem to get anything bit 0 on Nitrite and Phosphate. 

2 hours ago, picoreef78 said:

Wow long time since I have been on this thread. The new it amino acids are the Brightwell Coral Amino’s. 

Any thoughts on Acropower vs Coral Amino?

I am actually using both now, 10 ml/day Acropower on the dose (bought a massive gallon supply) and hand dosing Coral Amino just before feeding the fish in the evening. 

I can’t seem to get anything bit 0 on Nitrite and Phosphate. 

You won't get any nitrates or phosphates from amino acids. Amino Acids only contain C, H, O, and N and are the building blocks for proteins - bacteria aren't breaking down amino acids to release ammonia in any meaningful manner. Since neither Acropower nor Coral Aminos specify exactly what Amino Acids they contain and in what ratios, you can't really reasonably say which is better. If you are running a tank with a healthy level of feeding and maintaining a healthy level of nutrients, your tank likely has all of the amino acids it can use. If you aren't, there is a good chance either of these (or any of the dozens of other amino supplements) will provide some benefit. From everything I've read, there is no danger in dosing amino acids.