Coral Vue Hydros

Bubba's DIY 21.8 Gallon Coast 2 Coast - Coral En Route!

Bubba30

I'd say it has exceeded my expectations. It looks just like the pictures under actinics/blue. I prefer more 15-16k color and even under that is has an awesome pearly iridescence. Looks yellow, purple, and green. I am headed down to Orlando for work; don't think I will have time for Reefapalooza so I will play with my camera when I get back. Trying to pick up a Sunny D colony tomorrow before I leave. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Can I get a filter for my phone so it doesn't look so blue! Pictures aren't even close to what I am seeing. Kids were excited for a new shrimp, anemone crab, and scooter blenny. Inverts are being shy.

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5669.JPG

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

:wub: Those kids are ADORABLE!!! :wub:

Everything else looks pretty good too!!

Thanks! They prefer the tank over TV which is awesome. My daughter watches the torch waving around and just laughs. Very amusing.

I need more corals! Thanks for following along.

• Like 2

I went to pick up the Sunny D's and ended up getting 14 polyps, a rainbow BTA, and a little colony of green zoas. My anemone crab found the BTA in less than a minute after it was acclimated. Needless to say I don't think he will be leaving.

IMG_5681.JPG

• Like 4

The crab rode the nem across the tank onto the other island overnight. I'm going to be rethinking my aquascape a lot until it settles in; if and when that happens.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bubba30 said:

The crab rode the nem across the tank onto the other island overnight. I'm going to be rethinking my aquascape a lot until it settles in; if and when that happens.

Crazy!!

That BTA is gorgeous though. 

That's something that's on my list to get when I get a bigger tank. 

For now I'm sticking with RFA's and Maxi Mini's for my Pico. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to my DIY nano reactor. Final dimensions 7.5" holding  about 350 mL of of media. I am going to be using it for my Phosguard and Matrix Carbon. I have a 126 gph pump that will be feeding it. Ended up being about $50 including the pump. Couldn't find anything that fit the bill aside from IM Aqua Gadget Sump Reactor which isn't $50.

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Bubba30 said:

Finally got around to my DIY nano reactor. Final dimensions 7.5" holding  about 350 mL of of media. I am going to be using it for my Phosguard and Matrix Carbon. I have a 126 gph pump that will be feeding it. Ended up being about $50 including the pump. Couldn't find anything that fit the bill aside from IM Aqua Gadget Sump Reactor which isn't $50.

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

I love it when I see people build stuff like that, this is great!!!

• Like 1

I made it to WWC and it was awesome. Their display tanks, each about 5 years old, are truly impressive. Their signature bounce shroom isn't my cup of tea however this thing is massive! Has to be 6-7" across with an equally sized price tag. I was impressed with the hammer coral behind it too as they were inflated half way up the tank from the sand bed. Really happy tanks, really clean shop, and really friendly staff. Joe who was maintaining the display tanks was great to talk with. If I wasn't flying I would have certainly spent some money with them. I am going to see them when they come up to NJ this summer.

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5729.JPG

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Thanks for sharing some photos, that really is an impressive display! That giant acropora colony in the center is wild, did you get a close up shot of it?

I didn't take enough photos but that thing was HUGE. At least 20"x20". The tank is 28" high and 24" deep so it is ready to be touching glass to glass.

• Like 1

Got it loaded up with Matrix Carbon and Phosguard. It runs great! Looks like my skimmer's little brother or something. Wish I could get this skimmer dialed in... considering a DOC from Tunze.

IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

• Like 2

Here is what I got; working on the zoa garden rock - they have chunky frags for a good price. I got 3 duncan coral; they look pretty sick. The leather is something I have been looking for to fill in the top of the tank. It has a nice SPS look to it and will take a lot of light and flow.  Going to give goni a try and figured some monti will give me a heads up when I may need to test perimeters. There are some really hot encrusting monti out there. Looking forward to getting these into my tank.

We are actually listing our house for sale next week... crazy to think about having to break this tank down once I finally start making progress. I would just have to get into an all-in-one for a bit. Next home will have a basement for a big tank(80 gallons?). As I house shop I am looking for where the tank will go. I will be building my next tank myself as well. Looking into bent glass front/sides and thinking about how I could do this coast-to-coast overflow better on the next one. Lots of things need to go right with selling/buying so we shall see.

AcidTripDuncan-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE10Buy2Get1Free_zpsmzku0fev.jpg

BlueBlues-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE20_zpsg5pi5q9w.jpg

ChrimstasApples-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE30_zpsdzae4zxq.jpg

HotGoni-35_zpsv2ytcyxs.jpg

JumboToxicLeather-RetailPrice200SALEPRICE60_zpsjzzdtbwb.jpg

NeonGreenUncutSymphylliaWilsoniSale-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE40_zpspwjmwkjw.jpg

PlanetOnFire-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE50_zpsjgpzifhu.jpg

PokerStar-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE15_zpsqqxwyo2d.jpg

ZombieEyePinks-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE30_zpsscvi4jlj.jpg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, REALLY pretty corals!!!

And dude, you are so ambitious, can't believe how much you have going on!!

Thanks. I am trying to make up for this build thread being totally devoid of coral for its first 3 years.

• Like 2

I really like that 10 gallon sump. How did that cost you to get all that acrylic cut? I wouldnt mind replicating it if its cost effective. What didnt you like about the cost to cost overflow you made? I had never heard of one before. I am currently planning a 40B build but not sure how i want to do my overflow box. I like how yours spans the whole tank

• Like 2
On 3/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, Bubba30 said:

I am currently getting carried away on Aqua-SD forum sale. I'll try to post some pictures of what I score.

Nice stuff. I was on there today window shopping! 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, AquaCraze said:

I really like that 10 gallon sump. How did that cost you to get all that acrylic cut? I wouldnt mind replicating it if its cost effective. What didnt you like about the cost to cost overflow you made? I had never heard of one before. I am currently planning a 40B build but not sure how i want to do my overflow box. I like how yours spans the whole tank

Thanks a lot! I got the acrylic laser cut from Ponoko.com. I can't find the invoice but recall it costing around $60 shipped for the parts(also first time users get $20 off cutting fee). Derim a 10 gallon... WeldOn it all together.... used DOW 795 white silicone. The filter sock part is my favorite feature. I did add some little 1/4" tube holders for my ATO and water change pumps. Other than that the only thing I'd change is the difference in water levels between the chambers Lowering the overflow teeth between some of the sections. Other than that... you can't beat it. If you have any questions know. Dimensions for filter sock are important; other than that you can't mess it up. I actually lost my illustrator drawing for my sump but I could possibly get the file back from Ponoko so PM me if you are serious.

On a 40B not sure how you'd pull off the coast to coast overflow. You'd have to piece it together or find someone who laser cuts larger sheets of acrylic as Ponoko only cuts up to 31". I imagine I will be figuring that out if/when we move and I build an 80 gallon with coast to coast overflow.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Nola Bear said:

Nice stuff. I was on there today window shopping! 

Yeah I looked at his previous sales and thought the coral was pretty good value; chunky little zoa frags not much per polyp stuff. I ordered cheap corals for my first order just to try him out. After the last issue I had with a seller I'm more conservative.

Corals will be here Friday!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bubba30 said:

Thanks a lot! I got the acrylic laser cut from Ponoko.com. I can't find the invoice but recall it costing around $60 shipped for the parts(also first time users get $20 off cutting fee). Derim a 10 gallon... WeldOn it all together.... used DOW 795 white silicone. The filter sock part is my favorite feature. I did add some little 1/4" tube holders for my ATO and water change pumps. Other than that the only thing I'd change is the difference in water levels between the chambers Lowering the overflow teeth between some of the sections. Other than that... you can't beat it. If you have any questions know. Dimensions for filter sock are important; other than that you can't mess it up. I actually lost my illustrator drawing for my sump but I could possibly get the file back from Ponoko so PM me if you are serious.

On a 40B not sure how you'd pull off the coast to coast overflow. You'd have to piece it together or find someone who laser cuts larger sheets of acrylic as Ponoko only cuts up to 31". I imagine I will be figuring that out if/when we move and I build an 80 gallon with coast to coast overflow.

I will send you a pm. After looking at how much a sump is going to cost me it would still be cheaper to build a 10 gallon. Thanks again for the response! 

• Like 2