inTank Media Baskets

Mandarin Prepared Food Feeding

doppelganger

Hey all. I'm looking into some insight on prepared food for my spotted mandarin. Currently he shows interest in Hikari blood worms, masago (fish eggs). I've been mixing in other stuff as well but I can't say 100% whether or not he eats them.

My question is based on prepared food nutritional content. I know nothing about what's nutritionally good and what's not. I generally feed my fish pellets and once in a while cyclopese/mysis etc.

So just say you could only pick one prepared food to feed your fish on a constant basis, which would it be? Mysis, pellet, blood worms, etc. I know variety is best and I know the natural copepods would be wonderful but I'd rather give him a good constant supply of something and then just throw in a few others for variety here and there. I just would like to know what to pick as a main staple of his diet.

I've heard bloodworms aren't the best but I'm not 100% sure as hikari says they add vitamins and wutever. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

BLACKworms are the best, not blood worms. Black worms are a good live food for any fish actually.

Nutramar OVA is very nutritious but your fish roe is the same thing.

Mysis, Brine, all those are good.

BLACKworms are the best, not blood worms. Black worms are a good live food for any fish actually.

Nutramar OVA is very nutritious but your fish roe is the same thing.

Mysis, Brine, all those are good.

So blackworms > prawn eggs? dunno if I wanna deal with live blackworms but maybe I can find a freeze dried or frozen version. Or just stick with eggs.

You could also try Tubifex worms, but make sure they're from a reputable source or it'll kill your fish. Also, take note that prawn or fish roe (not Nutramar Ova) which is store-bought tends to contaminate the water very quickly. So either feed little at a time or be prepared to have a good skimmer and do several weekly water changes on hand. Fresh roe also has a strong eggish odor which can stink up the room.

I ended up just ordering some freeze dried black worms locally. We'll see if he likes them. Thanks for the input everyone!

I would be interested in a supply of those? Is the vendor online?

Yep! Mine is from canada but I did come across quite a few others in the states. Here's one that seems rather popular on some forums. Although I can't say much about they're website since it look like it was designed 20 years ago :rolleyes:

Most of the retailers seem to sell either Australian or Cali FDBW. I don't know what the difference is but they're very popular for discus. Some even sell blends with mysis and other things. There might be some other retailers closer to you too.

I could be wrong as I haven't tried it in years, but don't Freeze Dried foods float for the most part?

maybe my fish just would not let it sit in there long enough to soak up the water. You can stick the cubes to the side of a tank with a little pressure.

Yeah they do but sometimes if u soak them long enough they'll get water logged and sink. I put my food in a small container at the bottom anyways so it shouldn't matter. I've seen vids of ppl sticking the freeze dried black worm cubes on the glass as well.

I use to have Discus a while back and that was how I fed them from time to time. They loved live food when I got it, but that was bloodworms and those are not so good is my SW tanks.

Is nutramar ova good for some fattening up? I tried the shot glass method but now the mandarin hides out at the back of the tank and avoids the area I put the glass in. I kill my pumps and make it snow ova on her. She seems to be rounding out some. Live aquaria sent her to me kinda skinny. I'd really like to get her onto rods and mysis, but for now I'm glad she's putting on weight.

Is nutramar ova good for some fattening up? I tried the shot glass method but now the mandarin hides out at the back of the tank and avoids the area I put the glass in. I kill my pumps and make it snow ova on her. She seems to be rounding out some. Live aquaria sent her to me kinda skinny. I'd really like to get her onto rods and mysis, but for now I'm glad she's putting on weight.

It will for sure fatten her up provided she eats enough. That is mostly what I feed although they will eat other stuff... and my mandys all have beer bellys and some of them came to me skinny too. This spring will be 2 years with my blue male and I would say his diet is 90% ova (plus whatever pods he finds). It is very nutritious and I personally haven't found a mandy yet that won't eat it.

Archived