SaltCritters.com

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Legendary Corals

Pom pom crab came out to play. Enjoy! These are linked at 1600 desktop/wallpaper resolution if that floats your boat.

webz7gY.jpg

Healthy nems!

YUzeUOB.jpg

xkin53D.jpg

Local frag swap today... OMG it feels like Christmas all over again.

Scored an Oregon Tort frag for... $10. Can you believe that? Even if it's actually something else, the blue is out of this world and I love it!

GpTHS5h.jpg

Another from my loooooong time wish list: Rainbow stylophora. Should pink up in higher light

GOKf8IE.jpg

Red planet for $15. Yet another super sweet deal.

ImV8q5U.jpg

Pipe organ came with a chiton and berghia nudibranch hh. Sweet!

oHH1a3h.jpg

Rastas. I'm the last person to get these, right?? :-)

CjjdZe3.jpg

Pretty little filter feeder

wfPF6j3.jpg

LmDpOgc.jpg

43JSWeU.jpg

8uh3EDp.jpg

keiGGoT.jpg

wlOGhyt.jpg

I was given a browned out, almost dead frag of strawberry shortcake or raspberry limeade. Don't remember. But it's finally growing polyps and starting to show hints of pink and yellow. Crossing fingers it will have color in a month or so! Posting to compare progress.

TG4SMG4.jpg

Simply amazing photography... Wish I had skills like these.

• 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Jasper is a cat after my heart. He's made a perch out of the 8g Nuvo in order to watch the 24g Nuvo fish. Every single time I walk to the aquarium, he stands against me with arms reaching up, asking to be held. It's so cute I don't mind being his fish-watching perch as well. :wub:

MPrXDUm.jpg

vmG7xMF.jpg

This is when it all started

photo2-5_zps0e592900.jpg

• Like 14
BRADYBUNCH7

Jasper is a cat after my heart. He's made a perch out of the 8g Nuvo in order to watch the 24g Nuvo fish. Every single time I walk to the aquarium, he stands against me with arms reaching up, asking to be held. It's so cute I don't mind being his fish-watching perch as well. :wub:

MPrXDUm.jpg

vmG7xMF.jpg

Amazing tank

MPrXDUm.jpg

vmG7xMF.jpg

This is when it all started

photo2-5_zps0e592900.jpg

AWWWWWW! That's some serious competition for cutest cat on NR right there! What a sweetie :)

Polarcollision

Sweet Chalice! Miami Hurricane Morph?

Yep! I have no idea why it turns pink/purple from the blue base, though I've seen pics of others with yellow and orange eyes so I assume that's normal. The mother colony is solid blue with orange eyes.

AWWWWWW! That's some serious competition for cutest cat on NR right there! What a sweetie :)

:wub: Pretty sure your little one takes that title by a mile.

Amazing tank

Thanks!

awww.

:happy:

Simply amazing photography... Wish I had skills like these.

Practice and patience - never say never!

Great shots of the pom pom crab, thanks for the wallpapers :D.

Sweet! Happy they're being used. Wasn't sure what size to crop to, but they can go much, much larger.

Great pics! Man now I miss having a pompom.

Definitely an entertaining crab--on the rare occasion it makes an appearance. I've been thinking about getting a second for a mate.

Damn damn i LOVE your piks sooo much!!! You are the camera master and your subjects aren't to shabby either :bowdown::wub:

You're to kind Zia! :wub:

I've been considering one.. I really like bigger crabs (well, bigger than hermits I mean), and my emerald dug into my first clam the first night I had the clam - so he got banished to the sump.. I've been crab-free since (hermits being the exception).. I've heard the pompom crabs are pretty clam/reef/etc safe..

It has been a perfect citizen so far. I find it out at night wandering the entire reef and no damage done. Can't speak to clam safety as I don't (yet) keep them. They hide a lot, but no tank is complete without one!

Polarcollision

PJ. I think wallpaper size

rnHAuIU.jpg

Finally got a picture of that weird worm

1aWUlrG.jpg

And also of the isopod from ****. Something in the new tank is eating them so zoas are finally thriving again!

fNd2kLf.jpg

• Like 2
Polarcollision

The mouth on that worm scares me. :o

Tank looking great, even though it was pictures of the cute cat. :)

inoright??! It eats a filmy algae that was growing over coral so I'm trying to like it in the tank. Thanks! That was mostly the rockwork from the retired 8 gallon. More grown in. The other side is still tiny frags. The must be growing because Alk caught me off guard at 5.6 last test. Dosing is now tripled to keep up.

pj cards have always been one of my favorite reef fish

They win patchwork patterns, for sure. Can't help but wonder what pajamas the person who named it owned... and if I want a set.

LOL! Both your cat and your tank grew!

Amazing photos PC! Keep 'em coming!

Any interest in comparing SPS recovery from chemiclean treatment/grown/recoloring?

I completely missed that you have a McCoskers! I just picked one up today. How do you like yours?

FAVORITE fish EVER! He flashes at the tailspot. The two of them together make a great couple. At night he tucks himself in a cave with a little eye hole. Looking for a Carpenter flasher or similar to help them both keep their bright colors since female McCoskers seem to be impossible to come by.

• Like 1

FAVORITE fish EVER! He flashes at the tailspot. The two of them together make a great couple. At night he tucks himself in a cave with a little eye hole. Looking for a Carpenter flasher or similar to help them both keep their bright colors since female McCoskers seem to be impossible to come by.

Good to hear! That's funny that he flashes at the tailspot. I got mine all acclimated and in the tank. He was very active in the bag, but immediately went in a whole in the rock and is just hanging out. Hopefully he's ok and will warm up in a few days. I know he'll need some time to settle in. Are you going to get a male carpenter? Do you know if they will fight?

Polarcollision

Good to hear! That's funny that he flashes at the tailspot. I got mine all acclimated and in the tank. He was very active in the bag, but immediately went in a whole in the rock and is just hanging out. Hopefully he's ok and will warm up in a few days. I know he'll need some time to settle in. Are you going to get a male carpenter? Do you know if they will fight?

I'll find the link to the website that suggested adding a carpenter if females are difficult to come by. I didn't get the impression it would be a problem because they're different species. Yeah, they're shy fish at first, but it will warm up and stay out in the water column soon.

Been dreaming of exotic flashers. They're gorgeous!!

Paracheilinus nursalis (triton bay, indonesia)

post-2-0-96951800-1355113281.jpg

Paracheilinus ToBeDetermined

blue_Paracheilinus.jpg

UNK fillamented from Aquarium Depot

echeng090312_0217289_close.jpg

Bell's flasher wrasse, Paracheilinus bellae

paracheilinus-bellae-1.jpg

Filamented Flasher, solomon islands

27-filamented-flasher-solomon-style.jpg

Variation of filameted from solomons

28-filamented-flasher-variation.jpg

• Like 7

I miss my filamented that I had in the 46. Glass top, plastic protection on the back, and the sucker jumped into a surface skimmer box (he must have bounced off the glass) then jumped out onto the floor and I did not get him in time. :( When he flashed the entire tank lit up.

Polarcollision

I miss my filamented that I had in the 46. Glass top, plastic protection on the back, and the sucker jumped into a surface skimmer box (he must have bounced off the glass) then jumped out onto the floor and I did not get him in time. :( When he flashed the entire tank lit up.

Wait. Literally or figuratively lights up???? Pics of your filamented?

My McCoskers jumps too. Spent some time in cat hair behind the aquarium when I was doing something in the tank and also in the filter floss in the back chamber. I think it got through a gap between lid and back wall. Still leaps at the lid about every day. Sorry to hear about yours. :-( They do seem to have 9 lives like cats.

I'll find the link to the website that suggested adding a carpenter if females are difficult to come by. I didn't get the impression it would be a problem because they're different species. Yeah, they're shy fish at first, but it will warm up and stay out in the water column soon.

Been dreaming of exotic flashers. They're gorgeous!!

I had seen that too when I was reading up on them! But them when I talked to the LFS owner, he said he keeps all the male flashers in separate tanks because they will fight. He had mostly McCoskers in though, so maybe he didn't realize I meant two different species. I was thinking it would be nice to get a male flasher from a different species to go with this guy. That would be so pretty! I was thinking either a Carpenter's or a Yellowfin. If you try it, let me know how it goes, because I'm considering it too.

Mine is already warming up nicely :) He's sure an active little dude!

Man those are some stunning fish! How did I miss this whole category of wrasses until now?!

Polarcollision

I had seen that too when I was reading up on them! But them when I talked to the LFS owner, he said he keeps all the male flashers in separate tanks because they will fight. He had mostly McCoskers in though, so maybe he didn't realize I meant two different species. I was thinking it would be nice to get a male flasher from a different species to go with this guy. That would be so pretty! I was thinking either a Carpenter's or a Yellowfin. If you try it, let me know how it goes, because I'm considering it too.

Mine is already warming up nicely :) He's sure an active little dude!

Man those are some stunning fish! How did I miss this whole category of wrasses until now?!

Decisions... The LFS I purchased mine from has all the flashers in one tank, so about 6 or 8 in 40 gallons. They didn't fight at all, though I might make nice with competition if I was dumped into an unfamiliar place too! The more I read, the more interested I am in finding 2 females just for the courtship rituals. It sounds just as beautiful as seahorse courtship. And then I read about how females will often breed with other flasher wrasse species and I wonder if it would work out to keep 2 females and a male McCosker plus a male Fillamented like this author suggests. He says that even if males fight that the damage is not serious. He also recommends not more than several (whatever that means) in a 60 x 30 x 30 cm tank, which is around 14 gallons. While WWM suggests that the males do not live long if there are not females in the tank. I'd rehome all my other fish just to make that happen! :)

One last link since this has become a reference post! LOL

If you happen across female flashers let me know! I'll definitely keep you in the loop whichever way it ends up going - you do the same if you beat me to it. How many are you thinking of getting? I've got 36" length for them to sprint. Wonder how many is just right for stocking.

• Like 1

Decisions... The LFS I purchased mine from has all the flashers in one tank, so about 6 or 8 in 40 gallons. They didn't fight at all, though I might make nice with competition if I was dumped into an unfamiliar place too! The more I read, the more interested I am in finding 2 females just for the courtship rituals. It sounds just as beautiful as seahorse courtship. And then I read about how females will often breed with other flasher wrasse species and I wonder if it would work out to keep 2 females and a male McCosker plus a male Fillamented like this author suggests. He says that even if males fight that the damage is not serious. He also recommends not more than several (whatever that means) in a 60 x 30 x 30 cm tank, which is around 14 gallons. While WWM suggests that the males do not live long if there are not females in the tank. I'd rehome all my other fish just to make that happen! :)

One last link since this has become a reference post! LOL

If you happen across female flashers let me know! I'll definitely keep you in the loop whichever way it ends up going - you do the same if you beat me to it. How many are you thinking of getting? I've got 36" length for them to sprint. Wonder how many is just right for stocking.

Yeah, mine had them all split up between a bunch of different tanks. He'd have like one flasher in the tank with the coris wrasses, and one in with the firefish, one in with the anthias, etc. I didn't get to see any of them interact so I'm really not sure. I asked my LFS to try to get some females, and he's going to request some but he said they're rare not because there aren't plenty in the wild, but because the fish collecting operations don't collect them because they don't sell as well as the males. He said he's going to start pushing for females and let me know if he gets any in. I'll keep you posted. I personally don't think I have space for a full blown harem since I have a 30 gallon tank that will house 2 clowns, a firefish, a yellow coris wrasse, a YWG, and my flasher wrasse. I'm probably pretty close to maxed out on bioload with that. Maybe 1 more flasher wrasse would be ok. I'd love to get one female to watch the male flash and do the courtship rituals. My tank is also 36" long, so plenty of swimming space.

Thanks for all the links! I was reading a bunch about them yesterday and I was finding a lot of mixed info about what combinations of males/females are ok. I think it may end up being a bit of trial and error. I also saw several sources saying a lone male wouldn't be ok, but then lots saying they would be just fine. It seems like most people can't get ahold of females and they all say they're hardy, long-lived fish, which implies to me that the single males do just fine. I just read they may lose a bit of color and not flash much without females or another male present.

I'm working from home today and I just can't get over watching mine. He has the entire tank to himself, since he's the first addition since the re-do. He was a tad shy at first, but now he's already acting like he's king of the tank. He is swimming all over the place and has so much personality! He's even flashed at his reflection in the glass a few times, which is super comical and very much like a betta! I'll have to keep my eye out locally and maybe get him either another male or one female down the road. Even if he ends up on his own, he's a super cool fish and he should get along nicely with the yellow coris wrasse.

Oh, and I meant to ask, what does yours eat? I feed my main tank only flakes and pellets, so I wanted a fish that would eat those. I just fed mine and he wasn't interested in the pellets, but he LOVES flakes, which is super easy. Go figure I only have herbivore flakes on hand though, since I feed herbivore flakes and carnivore pellets. I went ahead and ordered some carnivore/omnivore flakes on Amazon Prime for him.

Also, this whole conversation has gotten me thinking. The LFS I went to yesterday had all McCosker's flasher wrasses except one that we realized must be a different species. We weren't sure what species, but I was seriously considering it since it was this nice purple color compared to the red of the McCoskers. Maybe I should just go snatch that one up since it was gorgeous and I'd probably want to add it in before the clownfish that will be going into my tank on Sunday. I know the flashers are supposed to be very peaceful and they recommend adding them first.

Polarcollision

Yeah, mine had them all split up between a bunch of different tanks. He'd have like one flasher in the tank with the coris wrasses, and one in with the firefish, one in with the anthias, etc. I didn't get to see any of them interact so I'm really not sure. I asked my LFS to try to get some females, and he's going to request some but he said they're rare not because there aren't plenty in the wild, but because the fish collecting operations don't collect them because they don't sell as well as the males. He said he's going to start pushing for females and let me know if he gets any in. I'll keep you posted. I personally don't think I have space for a full blown harem since I have a 30 gallon tank that will house 2 clowns, a firefish, a yellow coris wrasse, a YWG, and my flasher wrasse. I'm probably pretty close to maxed out on bioload with that. Maybe 1 more flasher wrasse would be ok. I'd love to get one female to watch the male flash and do the courtship rituals. My tank is also 36" long, so plenty of swimming space.

Thanks for all the links! I was reading a bunch about them yesterday and I was finding a lot of mixed info about what combinations of males/females are ok. I think it may end up being a bit of trial and error. I also saw several sources saying a lone male wouldn't be ok, but then lots saying they would be just fine. It seems like most people can't get ahold of females and they all say they're hardy, long-lived fish, which implies to me that the single males do just fine. I just read they may lose a bit of color and not flash much without females or another male present.

I'm working from home today and I just can't get over watching mine. He has the entire tank to himself, since he's the first addition since the re-do. He was a tad shy at first, but now he's already acting like he's king of the tank. He is swimming all over the place and has so much personality! He's even flashed at his reflection in the glass a few times, which is super comical and very much like a betta! I'll have to keep my eye out locally and maybe get him either another male or one female down the road. Even if he ends up on his own, he's a super cool fish and he should get along nicely with the yellow coris wrasse.

Oh, and I meant to ask, what does yours eat? I feed my main tank only flakes and pellets, so I wanted a fish that would eat those. I just fed mine and he wasn't interested in the pellets, but he LOVES flakes, which is super easy. Go figure I only have herbivore flakes on hand though, since I feed herbivore flakes and carnivore pellets. I went ahead and ordered some carnivore/omnivore flakes on Amazon Prime for him.

Yeah, I've been waiting since the day I got the male for LFS to get in females. Suppose they're not often collected... I stopped holding my breath and might try online order. Nerve wracking! How do you like the coris? That's another gorgeous fish. Also thinking about a YWG/shrimp combo, but worried about sand getting dumped all over corals. Does yours behave?

Your fish sounds super cute!! Am I silly for being so excited for you?? Well, I am! Too funny he thinks he is another fish. Oh - that's a great idea. I'll put a mirror up for him and see if he does the same thing. I just looked over at him and sure enough, he's flashing the tailspot right now. LOL So feel free to load your stream up with pics and videos of your little guy. I'll be sure to enjoy every one.

I 'won' a package of hikari marine S pellets at a frag swap. Give him a pinch just about every time I pass the aquarium. He snarfs them down. PE mysis too. I think I even saw him nibbling nori, but that's usually the tailspot. Now that the pellets are running out I'm starting to wonder if that's a nutritious food or not--don't know?

Also, this whole conversation has gotten me thinking. The LFS I went to yesterday had all McCosker's flasher wrasses except one that we realized must be a different species. We weren't sure what species, but I was seriously considering it since it was this nice purple color compared to the red of the McCoskers. Maybe I should just go snatch that one up since it was gorgeous and I'd probably want to add it in before the clownfish that will be going into my tank on Sunday. I know the flashers are supposed to be very peaceful and they recommend adding them first.

OMG, yes! Do it! Do it! And pics, of course. Soooooo jealous.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been waiting since the day I got the male for LFS to get in females. Suppose they're not often collected... I stopped holding my breath and might try online order. Nerve wracking! How do you like the coris? That's another gorgeous fish. Also thinking about a YWG/shrimp combo, but worried about sand getting dumped all over corals. Does yours behave?

Your fish sounds super cute!! Am I silly for being so excited for you?? Well, I am! Too funny he thinks he is another fish. Oh - that's a great idea. I'll put a mirror up for him and see if he does the same thing. I just looked over at him and sure enough, he's flashing the tailspot right now. LOL So feel free to load your stream up with pics and videos of your little guy. I'll be sure to enjoy every one.

I 'won' a package of hikari marine S pellets at a frag swap. Give him a pinch just about every time I pass the aquarium. He snarfs them down. PE mysis too. I think I even saw him nibbling nori, but that's usually the tailspot. Now that the pellets are running out I'm starting to wonder if that's a nutritious food or not--don't know?

OMG, yes! Do it! Do it! And pics, of course. Soooooo jealous.

Alright, you are officially a bad influence. I'm headed down to the LFS to pick up the purple flasher wrasse...its gotta be another species or a hybrid. It was the only completely different looking one they had in and I just confirmed that it hasn't sold. Now here's to praying the two of them don't try to kill each other! If so, the LFS said they'd take one back. Oh, also, based on your articles, I believe mine is a Carpenter's and not a McCosker's. I realized he has 3 filaments instead of just one, but he's the red coloration, so I think that means he's a Carpenter's. So confusing trying to ID them. Oh well, whatever he is, he's pretty and hopefully the purple one is different. I don't have space for 2 more fish, so I couldn't do the female harem even if I could find any. So let's hope two different males works out well and then my tank is all stocked!

I'm about to put up a video on my thread of my new guy. Plus a cute appearance by Lily :)

The coris is amazing! I loved it so much I picked up a second one for my seahorse tank. So peaceful and such a bright pop of color. Neither of mine is shy and they spend all day swimming about in the open. Then at night they pop down into the sand to sleep. One of mine is a juvenile/female and is still pretty small and my other one is a big full blown male with the markings on his face. Even the male is super peaceful and doesn't bother a thing! Both of them eat flatworms, which is a plus. They also love pellets and mysis. My YWG had a pistol buddy and they were awesome! I'm going to get him a new pistol once I transfer him back into the main tank. Mine picked a perfect location for their burrow and I never had any issue with them burying corals, but I'm sure it could happen if they picked a spot right by some coral. They don't throw sand around all that much though compared to jawfish or sand sifting gobies. Get a little randalli pistol and you should be just fine!

Tell me how the mirror works! Too funny!

I read the flashers eat meaty foods, so carnivore/omnivore pellets are fine but they also need some herbivore food on occasion, so Nori or herbivore flakes are recommended. Sounds like they'll eat just about anything honestly, which is perfect considering how picky some fish are :)

• Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex