Cultivated Reef

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Don't worry too much about what people think of the tang. It looks happy and healthy, so I'm sure its just fine in there :)

Ooooh! I sure hope they find you a female wrasse.

Awww! Cats are just so cute. I like the he wants to watch the fish. Lily has pretty much no interest in the fish except for trying to divert my attention to her when I am working on the tank. That's sweet that he likes his belly rubbed and doesn't do the "bear trap". Its hit or miss with Lily when she acts like she wants her belly rubbed. Sometimes she actually wants her belly rubbed and other times she's just tricking you into the bear trap :lol:

Mine are still getting along great. I have yet to see any aggression. They're such peaceful fish that my orange firefish that I've had for over 2 years and used to only make an appearance at feeding time is out and about most of the day hanging out with the wrasses. They are also getting along just fine with the yellow coris wrasse.

• Like 2
Legendary Corals

I'll find the link to the website that suggested adding a carpenter if females are difficult to come by. I didn't get the impression it would be a problem because they're different species. Yeah, they're shy fish at first, but it will warm up and stay out in the water column soon.

Been dreaming of exotic flashers. They're gorgeous!!

Paracheilinus nursalis (triton bay, indonesia)

post-2-0-96951800-1355113281.jpg

Paracheilinus ToBeDetermined

blue_Paracheilinus.jpg

UNK fillamented from Aquarium Depot

echeng090312_0217289_close.jpg

Bell's flasher wrasse, Paracheilinus bellae

paracheilinus-bellae-1.jpg

Filamented Flasher, solomon islands

27-filamented-flasher-solomon-style.jpg

Variation of filameted from solomons

28-filamented-flasher-variation.jpg

Awesome choices! This is my personal favorite...

Macy-3.jpg

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Don't worry too much about what people think of the tang. It looks happy and healthy, so I'm sure its just fine in there :)

Ooooh! I sure hope they find you a female wrasse.

Awww! Cats are just so cute. I like the he wants to watch the fish. Lily has pretty much no interest in the fish except for trying to divert my attention to her when I am working on the tank. That's sweet that he likes his belly rubbed and doesn't do the "bear trap". Its hit or miss with Lily when she acts like she wants her belly rubbed. Sometimes she actually wants her belly rubbed and other times she's just tricking you into the bear trap :lol:

Mine are still getting along great. I have yet to see any aggression. They're such peaceful fish that my orange firefish that I've had for over 2 years and used to only make an appearance at feeding time is out and about most of the day hanging out with the wrasses. They are also getting along just fine with the yellow coris wrasse.

Oh good! I know it's only been a few days but I worry a tiny, tinsy bit about the wrasses getting into it as they settle in. Wouldn't want to be responsible for instigating an unfortunate situation, regardless of what the oh so believable interenet has to say about them. ;-) And it keeps my hope alive that the same can happen in my tank. I'm obsessed. seriously. Tim just laughs at me now when he sees what's on my screen. :-)

Lilly sounds like an awesome cat who must just love you so much if she can't bear to share your affections. By any chance is she part Siamese? Her markings remind me of a tabby/siamese cat from years ago. Anyways, your description of her reminds me of this:

i-wants-belly-rubs.jpg

Awesome choices! This is my personal favorite...

Macy-3.jpg

That one is pretty sweet too! It looks more like a kite than the others when it flashes. Do you have a flasher?

• Like 2

Oh good! I know it's only been a few days but I worry a tiny, tinsy bit about the wrasses getting into it as they settle in. Wouldn't want to be responsible for instigating an unfortunate situation, regardless of what the oh so believable interenet has to say about them. ;-) And it keeps my hope alive that the same can happen in my tank. I'm obsessed. seriously. Tim just laughs at me now when he sees what's on my screen. :-)

Lilly sounds like an awesome cat who must just love you so much if she can't bear to share your affections. By any chance is she part Siamese? Her markings remind me of a tabby/siamese cat from years ago. Anyways, your description of her reminds me of this:

Yeah, I was a bit worried too, but it wouldn't have been your fault. It didn't take much instigating at all. And you always have to just give those things a try and see. Honestly, they two of them mostly ignore each other so far. They're definitely not being mean to one another.

Yeah, Lily is just a tad bit needy...and by a tad bit, I mean REALLY needy. She hates the tanks and runs around trying to get my attention any time I am working on them. For example, when I feed the seahorses every day she stands on my desk by the tank and meows her head off. She's a rescue, so we're not positive on her breed. She looks very much like a ragdoll, so the rescue thought she was mostly that. However, she's very small for a purebred ragdoll so she may be a ragdoll-siamese mix, since they have the same types of markings and siamese cats are generally smaller. And yes, that photo is exactly Lily's feelings on belly rubs. :)

Polarcollision

Zoanthids WANTED

Message me if you want to trade/sell

Unknown from MyFrags, kedds reds, tubbs blue, blue agave, punk rockers

WY3pZSy.jpg2opnXAG.jpgG4hP6kI.jpgm2hs3Gj.jpgWT9YiLN.jpg

snitches, LA lakers, X-mens, bleeding hearts, tangerines

2gyU6ZT.jpgoULovsT.jpgY1S3tXb.jpgGtRnBf3.pngxKusNp4.jpg

Meanie Greenie yellow or belladonna

ftcEDHr.jpg

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Zoanthids HAVE

Message me if you want to trade/sell

rastas, gobstoppers, raptors rainbows, pink & gold, purple nurple

PZD7q5Z.jpgoFeVl8M.jpgJjwbfOn.jpg7Boz6wB.jpgwUUAvZj.jpg

UFO's (Tenor), mowhawks/variable star, devil's armor morph 1, devil's armor morph 2, pinwheels (micro zoa)

CiBqjWC.jpgF6N1kRR.jpgLONJem4.jpgJrCXpid.jpgaJVwNdy.jpg

Pink zipper, bam bams (2 morphs), Sunny-D, dragon eyes, utter chaos

pKs3pWW.jpgThWHJa7.jpgFYmTlTa.jpgiwOS8Uw.jpgUk8yiIR.jpg

Tyree orange rainbows, red hornets, nuclear greens, mindblowing paly, my clementine

eCZI2nA.jpgUFp9xFB.jpg08jyrNd.jpg2h3vZGO.jpgfn1q54B.jpg

Magicians, fruit loops, chongs bongs, CARs, Blonde Blue-eyed B*****,

ARCFK1f.jpgWXYCisN.jpgW7SUW4l.jpgVABfv9V.jpgcY35maU.jpg

Maryjanes, unknown bright green, chuckies bride, miami vice and unknown teal

nWIEOeU.jpgcVO1CmC.jpgDC94xAK.jpgoeEIpuv.jpg

• Like 5
Polarcollision

Yeah, I was a bit worried too, but it wouldn't have been your fault. It didn't take much instigating at all. And you always have to just give those things a try and see. Honestly, they two of them mostly ignore each other so far. They're definitely not being mean to one another.

Yeah, Lily is just a tad bit needy...and by a tad bit, I mean REALLY needy. She hates the tanks and runs around trying to get my attention any time I am working on them. For example, when I feed the seahorses every day she stands on my desk by the tank and meows her head off. She's a rescue, so we're not positive on her breed. She looks very much like a ragdoll, so the rescue thought she was mostly that. However, she's very small for a purebred ragdoll so she may be a ragdoll-siamese mix, since they have the same types of markings and siamese cats are generally smaller. And yes, that photo is exactly Lily's feelings on belly rubs. :)

I've always thought it would be cool to adopt a ragdoll cat. There just never happened to be any in shelters when I was making the move. They're supposed to be pretty big - around 10-15 lbs if female. Which is where Namara lands at 14 lbs. She's exactly twice as big as the smallest cat I had years ago.

Made another movie of the McCosker's. This time I staked out the tank for about an hour waiting for it to shimmy into it's hiding place for sleep. Unfortunately I didn't import the videos off the camera correctly and it's standard-def. So I'll be staking the tank out again in the near future to get something HD. Also caught a clip of it flashing and hanging out with the TSB. Enjoy!

Tim is laughing so hard at the slow-mo and dramatic music! :lol:

http://vimeo.com/90594258

• Like 5
Polarcollision

Awesome new video! You definitely have quite the fun mix of fish in that tank :)

I feel so lucky that they all get along so well. The clown is going back to the 8 gallon Nuvo as soon as it has matured enough to handle two fish though. She's starting to get territorial and chasing the tailspot blenny from her sleeping spot under the spongeodes. But other than that, they all seem to actually play together.

Umm, setosa with green marbling? That's insanely awesome.

It is pretty cool! After I lost oxygenation during the chemiclean treatment the setosa lost some of the bright color, including the cool green marbling. Hopefully it comes back as it grows.

Today was a big sale at our best LSF. My husband has wanted a black and white clownfish for a while, so I picked up a cute/goofy baby black snowflake for his soon to be bubble tip anemone tank. They were out of flame algae so I dropped by the LFS north of Seattle in hopes of scoring some. Of course I go look at the fish only to find two starving mandarins in tiny pens. One is a target mandarin about 1.25" long from nose to tip of tail. It is soooo skinny I can see underneath the lateral bone/ridge. The other mandarin is the blue/red/green striped kind. It's about 2 inches and half as skinny. He basically said he is just the middle man and doesn't go out of his way to feed them. It has been there for 3 weeks, slowly starving to death. If it were cats or dogs in the same condition, this would be a news story and possibly a crime. He did say he would put it in the big tank when he noticed I was upset about it starving, but I just don't trust this LFS anymore so I bought it. Of course there is no guarantee on any of the fish he sells. And to top it off, the 'dragon flame algae' I bought... is something else. I'm so upset about living things suffering, I assume, for a bottom line. I try to support the local LFSs, but the last purchase I ever make from this one may be to rescue the other mandarin.

Sorry about the rant. One day I may accept that life isn't fair, but it's not today. :-)

Luckily baby brine shrimp eggs can be found locally. This little hatchery is just a water bottle cut in half with airline tubing through the cap for an air stone. Hopefully the cats will find it boring and not dump it! :-)

51FBFA76-9341-4A9E-8FD2-78CA0A0CF196_zps

a169ec5d-8077-424b-b90e-7d2caa51075b_zps

82134DF6-58DC-4F1F-9B61-8617C0D08F6A_zps

2D074F2D-666B-45B1-9036-38BBC826D6FE_zps

• Like 3
Cameron6796

Start pumpin pods into that tank or spot feed him in a breeder box good luck and kudos to you for trying to save this poor fishy. I'm lucky to have a lfs run by someone who has been doing this since he was 14 and his shop is really nice, he went a different. Route from the dark fish rooms and made all the cabinetry white around the tanks it looks very clean and formal, plus he won't even let you buy sick fish. He had a yellow tang shipped in without an eye so they now keep him in their frag tank so he doesn't get picked on. Ps his wife works their to lol true mom and pop store

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Well, even though I knew there was a slim chance of saving the target mandarin, it still breaks my heart that it did not survive the night. It just wasn't strong enough to survive the stress of a new home. Poor thing.

Awwww, that poor fish! I hate when stores have that attitude! It always makes me so sad seeing unhealthy, skinny fish in stores that just don't care about the fish. They're living creatures! I am glad you tried to save the poor little thing, but he definitely looked past saving. I always get so attached to fish and get so sad when they die :(

In positive news, I love that clownfish you got. I don't normally like fancy clowns but I was totally eyeing some black ices today, but the $100 price tag kept me from biting. I'll stick to my regular old Darwin for $40 :lol:

Polarcollision

Sorry to hear poor guy died i. The hands of someone who cared atleast. Are you gonna try rescuing the other one

Aww, thanks. That's a sweet thing to say. My husband was the voice of reason and didn't want to give that LFS anymore money for a fish that would probably die, too. If there's such thing as good vibes, I'm hoping for an expert mandarin-keeper to nurse it back to health.

Awwww, that poor fish! I hate when stores have that attitude! It always makes me so sad seeing unhealthy, skinny fish in stores that just don't care about the fish. They're living creatures! I am glad you tried to save the poor little thing, but he definitely looked past saving. I always get so attached to fish and get so sad when they die :(

In positive news, I love that clownfish you got. I don't normally like fancy clowns but I was totally eyeing some black ices today, but the $100 price tag kept me from biting. I'll stick to my regular old Darwin for $40 :lol:

Yeah, I talked with my husband about the legal aspect/consequences of outing him on a popular local facebook group. I thought I could let someone know there was a starving mandarin still available needing expert care. The clownfish is awesome! I got a great deal on it because of the 30% off sale. Years ago I read a book called Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. The kind that changes how you look at things. The clownfish has a little black dot in the white, kinda like the Tao. And it swims in an underwater lotus (nem) if you want to stretch it a little. Plus, it lives in moving water much like the river symbol in the book. Anyways, we decided to give the fish the symbolic name Siddhartha. As soon as the tank is ready for a second fish I'll move it's girlfriend over from the big tank. Hoping they pair up and make little baby clowns! :-)

• Like 1

That's a steal if you got 30% off. I like his new name. I really like when people give fish really thoughtful/symbolic names like that. I still need to name all my new fish. My clownfish were really the only fish in my previous set-up that got names that stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had tons of those when the tank was new, eventually most died out and and they caused no harm. I still have a few in low flow and low light areas.

Polarcollision

good to know! They're all over a couple zoa colonies. The rastas have recovered, but the tyree orange sunset and magicians are not very happy. Hopefully they burn themselves out soon

• 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Im pretty sure thats Tarja. She's got a duet with Sharon den Adel Watch "Within Temptation - Paradise (What About Us?) ft.…" on YouTube Within Temptation - Paradise (What About Us?) ft.…:

That's her! Her voice is amazing. The song in my video is when she was with Nightwish. Just Wiki'd her. She's got a coupe solo albums. off to grooveshark for a listen!

Tank looks great man. But I honestly think the yellow tang is way too big for this small of a tank. Yupp, call me the tang police. :)

• Like 1
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex