Cultivated Reef

Lighitng Levels

baldwinb

Okay...I have been doing all the reasearch I can on corals before I take the plunge.  But most of the references refer to Low Medium and High lighting.  What constitutes Low light...etc.??  This will get rid of some confusion for me.

it all depends on your tank size and lighting you have....lets say you have a 10 gallon....low light i would think to be around 25 or so watts or less...medium would be about that to maybe 56 watts or so and high would be anything above that. it really all depends on the type of lighting and your specific tank size and dimensions. there really is no definate answer o your question.

You can also have different lighting within the same system.  For example, when I aquascaped my tank, I tried to arrange things in a manner where I'd have a selection of different lighting.  I have high peaks where I can place some of the more light-loving species.  I also made some overhanging rock-shelves,  creating areas of lower, indirect light - under which I want to put some shrooms.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the help...if anyone wants to give me some specifics tomy tank it is a 12 gallon with an eclipse hood Single lamp right now.

Archived