Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bigger clownfish too territorial to pair

lohitha

I had this clownfish for more than a year. She is hosing an RBTA. Then I introduced a 2nd which is slightly smaller. The new one does exhibit submissive behavior, but the older one doesn't let him come near her. She is too protective of her nem. It is more than a week now and no change. New one jumped 3 times so far and I rescued every single time. I had to install a barrier preventing him from jumping. New one is in opposite corner near the surface. He tries to come to the RBTA in the night, but chased off by the old one. He is still healthy and no injuries. I am beginning to think that this pair will never pair off. Wondering if anyone had similar situation.

No experience with it - but from what I read (many times) in order to have them pair in a home aquarium they should be introduced together, especially in smaller environments.

I think that the one will feel dominate cause she/he has been in the tank longer, and feels like someone is intruding on it's home.

Good luck and happy reefing.

Currently having this situation an the issue is once you have a larger older clown in a tank it will assume dominance. What I would do is put it in time out for a couple of days to give the other one time to get used to the nem and such and then release the larger one. Besides that I think all you can really do is trade out a larger one for something smaller.

Thats right. I was thinking of those two options. I will first take the larger clown and separate him for 2 days. Problem is catching her. If separation doesn't work out, I will go for the 2nd option - trade.

In the meantime, my RBTA has grown from 2-3 inch little baby to 10 inch giant. It has enough room for few clowns. But the host clown has not learnt sharing. Time to go on a time out. :)

Next challenge is to force the RBTA to split.

Wait till the clown falls asleep(maybe midnightish) and scoop her up with a net works all the time.

Force splitting a BTA is pretty simple; dont do water changes for a little while/ raise the temp of the tank for a couple days then bring it down/ pop it out of the tank and get a replacement box cutter blade(the larger ones) and slice her in half(or quarters which although possible is not recommended)

It sounds to me like you have 2 females. In my experience you want to go find the smallest clown you can to introduce to a female. Usually they pair up without much fuss. By getting the smallest you make sure it has not turned female yet. By getting one only a little smaller it's a risk that it is already female.

No I don't have two females. At least the 2nd one was NOT the biggest one in the tank when I picked him up. I think both are pretty much teenagers in clownfish terms. I raised the older one by myself. Besides, they are not attacking each other. One is attacking the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting--i had a clown for 2 years in my small 24g tank. Bought this week a smaller clown to pair and a RBTA. Larger one had never hosted. Immediately 2 clowns hooked up, smaller one took to RBTA and "showed" older one who now hosts as well. May be luck.

Archived