Pod Your Reef

Nano Box Owners Thread

DaveFason

Correct, only one moonlight on the unit.

You can also set a different channel to mimic a moonlight as well.

Updates in BLUE after Dave's help.

The fan on this thing is the loudest part of my system by far, unacceptably loud. EDIT: It's loud on out of the box settings, but once tuned down a bit is 100% better. Nice customer service by Dave to login and tune my settings. VERY COOL. My wife was saying: "how come the light keeps changing and making noise!" <-- it was Dave at the helm. Literally twice as loud as anything else in my system and louder than my biocube with the fans on. It's in my kitchen / great room. <-- Not anymore

I want to turn the fan down but I don't see a temp sensor on this thing. Apparently the CPU clock is given but not the temp. Can someone help me out? What is the lowest safe fan setting? <-- EDIT: currently around 50% and doing fine. Lights are about 60% average intensity

I have tested to ensure that the fan is not hitting wires or obstructions...

Edit: It has the standard "Fiji" location based settings in the Blue app.

Couple of Noob-Tips While I am at it:

1. The instructional video doesn't say to turn off Night Shift on your phone. It won't program the imp unless you have night shift off and crank the brightness.
  2. If you are replacing or changing goosenecks the duo has two sets of blue and white wires with nothing to discern between them. Permanent marker also doesn't stick to them. Ask me how I know? Best to notch a bit of the cable sheath or something with a knife (make a physical mark) and then re-strip the wire.

If anyone needs it:

kZU24Xb.png

The fan on this thing is the loudest part of my system by far, unacceptably loud. Literally twice as loud as anything else in my system and louder than my biocube with the fans on. It's in my kitchen / great room.

I want to turn the fan down but I don't see a temp sensor on this thing. Apparently the CPU clock is given but not the temp. Can someone help me out? What is the lowest safe fan setting?

I have tested to ensure that the fan is not hitting wires or obstructions...

Edit: It has the standard "Fiji" location based settings in the Blue app.

Couple of Noob-Tips While I am at it:

1. The instructional video doesn't say to turn off Night Shift on your phone. It won't program the imp unless you have night shift off and crank the brightness.
  2. If you are replacing or changing goosenecks the duo has two sets of blue and white wires with nothing to discern between them. Permanent marker also doesn't stick to them. Ask me how I know? Best to notch a bit of the cable sheath or something with a knife (make a physical mark) and then re-strip the wire.

If anyone needs it:

You can turn the fan down on the unit. If you shoot me an email I can login your account and help. Otherwise drop the fan down to 60%. This will ramp in and out with the unit.

Night mode is new to me ( at least on my phone ) and will see if I can add that anywhere. It looks like it changes the color spectrum of the phones screen ( red/orange ) but good to know.

Feel free to PM me or email on the above! We will make this thing near silent.

-Dave

• Like 1

You can turn the fan down on the unit. If you shoot me an email I can login your account and help. Otherwise drop the fan down to 60%. This will ramp in and out with the unit.

Night mode is new to me ( at least on my phone ) and will see if I can add that anywhere. It looks like it changes the color spectrum of the phones screen ( red/orange ) but good to know.

Feel free to PM me or email on the above! We will make this thing near silent.

-Dave

Ahhhhh. MUCH better. I will try to take some IR thermometer readings to see the difference in the temps on 70% verses the 50%. 50% is now just about inaudible over the rest of the tank.

Ahhhhh. MUCH better. I will try to take some IR thermometer readings to see the difference in the temps on 70% verses the 50%. 50% is now just about inaudible over the rest of the tank.

Thanks for the update, now enjoy!

Old Oceanic model Biocube 14 retro setup:

I haven't even bothered to hook up the fans yet. It's runs cool enough.

fPGdI46.jpg

I had to replace the MIA splash shield with a DIY setup.

VeLM4OAl.jpg

Atizt4Il.jpg

cTuk94ll.jpg

• Like 1

Got my Retro Large Plus M on Wednesday! So very excited. Spent 2 hours with a cruddy harbor freight "dremel" trying to cut the biocube 29 coralife reflector before asking my neighbor for a REAL dremel. Then got it all cut and the light installed. My kit didn't have screws to attach the heat sink to the reflector (the instructional video said there would be two screws with nuts) but I have a coffee can full of screws so I got it installed ok. 

Only question I have is whether the fan on this kit is adjustable? I tried adjusting channel 6 which I'm guessing must be for the fan but I may be wrong. I love this light and the controllability with the mini bluefish. 

IMG_7230.JPG

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, r_jay said:

Got my Retro Large Plus M on Wednesday! So very excited. Spent 2 hours with a cruddy harbor freight "dremel" trying to cut the biocube 29 coralife reflector before asking my neighbor for a REAL dremel. Then got it all cut and the light installed. My kit didn't have screws to attach the heat sink to the reflector (the instructional video said there would be two screws with nuts) but I have a coffee can full of screws so I got it installed ok. 

Only question I have is whether the fan on this kit is adjustable? I tried adjusting channel 6 which I'm guessing must be for the fan but I may be wrong. I love this light and the controllability with the mini bluefish. 

Awesome! You do not have control of the fan on the RETRO kits. 

Enjoy and post pictures of the tank. :)

charlesgage
28 minutes ago, r_jay said:

IMG_7230.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488562961&sr=8-1&keywords=rotary+tool

You are welcome!

• Like 1

Ha! Thanks, it's a tool I'd use once a year. Good to know on fan. I only made videos playing with the thunderstorm feature so I finally snapped a photo today after work. My tank is still cycling so nothing but rock, snails and assorted critters in the chaeto and live rock. Now I have this awesome light I'll be stocking it soon. 

IMG_7237.JPG

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef

So, got my brand new 'old' Quad this Friday. Just curious if anyone can help me out with coaxing out the red color with NBR?

I have 5 channels controls, and tested individual channels, but nothing seems to bring out the rich, deep red I used to get on my Red Planet with my previous fixture. 

Thoughts on how to get the red to 'pop'?

• 4 weeks later...

Has no one read my tag line?!

:P I finally turned my light low enough to stop completely shocking what little corals I have... But my rocks are well lit!

• Like 3
On 4/6/2017 at 6:51 AM, DaveFason said:

I'll try this weekend. I need to rebuild my entire photo bucket after they lost all my pictures. So I'll see what I can do. Anyone know a good hosting site not called photo bucket and one that will allow me to embed here?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, braaap said:

I'll try this weekend. I need to rebuild my entire photo bucket after they lost all my pictures. So I'll see what I can do. Anyone know a good hosting site not called photo bucket and one that will allow me to embed here?

I use Flickr and I've never had a problem with it. I'd certainly recommend that you try it out. That being said, it looks like you can now attach image files directly from your computer and post them here (haven't tried it yet, though), so you may not need a hosting site at all, anymore. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, JLynn said:

I use Flickr and I've never had a problem with it. I'd certainly recommend that you try it out. That being said, it looks like you can now attach image files directly from your computer and post them here (haven't tried it yet, though), so you may not need a hosting site at all, anymore. 

Ya you can directly attach. I wonder how long they will stay hosted though. @Christopher Marks

• Like 1