Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Box Owners Thread

DaveFason

jedimasterben

I did that and anytime the white is more than 1/5 of the power of the blues it washes everything out pretty quick. The only way to achieve the 20k look is like 70% blue and 10% white. But instead of making the corals pop so much that ratio creates a very blue windex look instead of the desired purple look

I'm not sure what kind of '20k' you're thinking of, but the gold standard, the 20K Radium, is a crisp white color with a blue tone. It is extremely difficult to find photos of it where the lamp was run on a proper M80 ballast, taken with a DSLR, and was color corrected, and while this photo doesn't really match any of that criteria, the photo shows extremely close to the color of those two lamps, Radium is the rightmost lamp:

IMG_0440.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17065136#post17065136

jedimasterben

Yeah, that's definitely not '20K' lol. Just turn the blue channel up and turn the whites down. The blue LEDs in the nanobox arrays are the same as the blue in the Kessil, it's just that Kessil uses almost no white LEDs, and the ones they use are shitty and give almost no energy beyond 490nm, so no green or red. Non-fluorescent colors get drowned out, and unless you have only fluorescent corals (almost all green), then some will just look muddled. This is why Nanobox really shines, they use quality white LEDs that give plenty of the green, yellow, and red that corals need to excite pigments into expressing.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm about to get my nanobox duohere shortly, I currently run an 8 inch deep tank with light two inches above the water. My current light is a orbit marine pro and I run it 100% blue, and 52 % white at midday. As the nanobox is way more powerful and I will have it above an 11 inch deep tank (new tank) what percentages do u suggest I start out with to not bleach my corals?

jedimasterben

Okay, I'm about to get my nanobox duohere shortly, I currently run an 8 inch deep tank with light two inches above the water. My current light is a orbit marine pro and I run it 100% blue, and 52 % white at midday. As the nanobox is way more powerful and I will have it above an 11 inch deep tank (new tank) what percentages do u suggest I start out with to not bleach my corals?

Probably want to start around 30% peak.

• Like 1

Probably want to start around 30% peak.

What he said. I was running stock biocube lights, started out at 35% peak and a couple corals bleached the first few days. Knocked it down to 30% and no problems. Slowly ramping up 5% weekly.

What he said. I was running stock biocube lights, started out at 35% peak and a couple corals bleached the first few days. Knocked it down to 30% and no problems. Slowly ramping up 5% weekly.

So when we are talking 30%, that where I would put the blues rights? And run the whites at like 15%? It's seems that 2 to 1 ratio intesity wise gave me the nice 20k look with my orbit marine, and I think i saw a previous post here that the ratio is similar.

Thank you Stella and Jedi!

Oh do these come with the bluefish in a case or I do I have to get a case elsewhere?

Actually I run my whites and blues at 30% - I like a balanced whiteish look during daylight. Maybe I wasn't supposed to! But no problems so far (aside from starting at 35/35 peak)

jedimasterben

So when we are talking 30%, that where I would put the blues rights? And run the whites at like 15%? It's seems that 2 to 1 ratio intesity wise gave me the nice 20k look with my orbit marine, and I think i saw a previous post here that the ratio is similar.

Thank you Stella and Jedi!

Oh do these come with the bluefish in a case or I do I have to get a case elsewhere?

You'll want to play around with the ratio to find the color you like. Everyone has their own idea of color temperature, so your 20Kprobably isn't my 20K, like I mentioned to Matteo above :D

• Like 2

Like they said above. Everyones color temp is going to be 100% different. In my peek hours I run my light 1:1.

Start slowly ( people with a DUO or large RETRO ) due to the large amount of light.

30-50% is a good starting point. You can also run the lights with a shorter duration.

-Dave

• Like 2

My light is just here - it is AWESOME! Very easy to set up and I love it.

I know I *can* tweak my settings, but are the out of the box settings okay - or should I mess with them right away?

jedimasterben

My light is just here - it is AWESOME! Very easy to set up and I love it.

I know I *can* tweak my settings, but are the out of the box settings okay - or should I mess with them right away?

The controller doesn't have any 'out of the box' settings as far as I know.

The controller doesn't have any 'out of the box' settings as far as I know.

I selected NanoBox in the QuickSetup and I definitely can see a program and light graph in my app - it's all showing as channel 6. (I guess I will wait to see if if starts dimming soon!)

• Like 1

I selected NanoBox in the QuickSetup and I definitely can see a program and light graph in my app - it's all showing as channel 6. (I guess I will wait to see if if starts dimming soon!)

Dont do this. Adjust the settings as you want them.

I would start with 60% Blue channel and 30-40% white channel. These will be channels 1/2.

-Dave

• Like 2

What is the largest cube a tide should be used over while still being able to keep SPS and clams pretty much anywhere I want to?

jedimasterben

What is the largest cube a tide should be used over while still being able to keep SPS and clams pretty much anywhere I want to?

For full coverage, about a 12"x12" area. Beyond that the edges will start getting darker, and any rocks that are in the way will cause harsh shading.

jedimasterben

If I need two to cover a 20x20 length wise, wouldn't I need 4 total to cover front to back?

That width is definitely getting into 'two rows' territory. Luckily, our eyes can't tell too much difference in the change in light from front to back as well as they can from left to right, so it should look ok.

Dont do this. Adjust the settings as you want them.

I would start with 60% Blue channel and 30-40% white channel. These will be channels 1/2.

-Dave

Thank you! (Gah - feeling dumb!) I'm all set now! :)

• Like 1
SquishyFishy

Wow wonderful day today, woke to the sound of the ATO alarm. Walked out to see that it had pumped almost 5 gals into my study closet and powder room (right behind the tank) The tank stand took a bit of a hit, back cardboard warped and the shelves soaked up some water, but at least it was Fresh water! Just removed the back.

Whoopee had to spend all day cleaning out the mess. Todd went and bought a new backup surge protector and we totally rewired the entire set up. Looks great now. But no more risk of frying anything. All my plugs and wires go directly into the wall and closet, now a bit higher than the water level.

I have to hand it to Dave. His Nano-Box took a lickin and kept on tickin! The power brick and plugs were sopping wet, we just knew it was toast. But we dried it off and replugged it, reset the Blue Fish and Voila...let there be light...have to go to his thread and let him know what a quality product he puts out!

Thanks Dave...she's crankin along just fine!

• Like 4

No one?

I've started to notice that at midnight, my mini tide with storm flashes on for 1-2 seconds, then back to the moonlight No idea how long it's been happening. Any Idea what's causing this?

• Like 1
SquishyFishy

The Blue Fish controller has some kinks we have noticed, but not that one.

If we try to preview anything, it exits the app. And I have never gotten the lightening to work right. Any ideas Dave?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

No one?

Probably a bug in the Storm. Email ben at coralux dot net with that data and he will try and figure it out. CC Dave, too, david at nanoboxreef dot com