Innovative Marine Aquariums

tONe2's Fluval Spec V

tONe2

I had a Biocube 29 set up for about 2 1/2 years but I recently moved so I had to give away/sell off everything. My new place doesn't quite have the space that my old place had, but I can't imagine living in a house with no reef so I decided to start a Fluval Spec V. I plan on keeping it LPS and Polyps, but I know that eventually my love of SPS will probably force me to go in that direction...

Been up and running for just over a month so far.

Things I've done so far:

-Upgraded the lighting to a Ecoxotic Panorama Strip

-Upgraded the return pump

-MP10 (reefcrest set at 3 dots)

-2 part BRS Calcium and Alk on dosing pumps.

-Fixed the over flow to raise the water level

-Added an ATO

-Made a DIY media rack

Livestock so far.

-Yellow Eye Combtooth Blenny

-Pom Pom Crab

-Torchs

-Frogspawns

-Duncans

-Hammer Coral

-various zoas and palys

-Various snails and hermits for cleanup

FTS in video form 6/24/14

Current FTS 03/6/14 not the best picture

fts34142_zps393c3486.jpg

Fluval102313_zps0d4994a3.jpg

Reef_zps2503c915.jpg

IMG_0820_zpsb3141501.jpg

1_zps2e48a99d.jpg

Daniel_zpsd64658b9.jpg

tmp_CAM00667-1885245971_zpscab0882b.jpg

Pompom2_zps54667b68.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool... i too have a v spec, just started it up and running yesterday trying to figure out a mod to the overflow set up so i can grow cheato in it.. any suggestions

all you need to grow cheato back there is a light really. cheap fix would be just buying a submersible bulb and sticking in that chamber on an oppisite lighting schedule

which Ecoxotic Panorama Strip did you upgrade to? got a link? I am very interested in starting a Fluval Spec V too.

It's the Panorama Pro 12k white module.

Looks really good. I didn't think those strips would have enough coverage but the lighting looks excellent.

The light coverage is perfect for this size, and more than enough to handle what I want to put in the tank. I will add either some DIY leds or a stunner strip to it eventually to get a little bit more color though.

did u notice a good increase in flow? or just a tad?

It has a lot better flow than the stock pump. Plenty powerful for LPS and Polyps.

Here is a video of my torch moving around in the flow if that helps at all.

So for the first time in 5-6 years I made an impulse buy on a fish that I would normally have passed on. It's a fish that looked a little skinny like he maybe wasn't eating, but I watched him for a while and saw him poking around and eating algae so I figured I'd give him a shot and see if I could fatten him up, when I would normally not take the chance. The reason I took the chance is because it was a Comical Blenny for way less money than I've ever seen one go for...I paid less than half of what I've always seen them sell for.

So far he's picking at algae on the rock work and glass but I haven't been able to get him to try any nori or any other prepared stuff. I've seen a lot off people have had success with peas so I'll probably try that tomorrow. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

HotDaniel2_zpsb121479d.jpg

tmp_CAM00713-799307892_zps82b4a227.jpg

"Posted 10 hours ago Cameron6796

Very cool hows the flow, and blenny

Where did you get your 606"

Flow is great for what I'm keeping right now.

The Blenny is getting more and more adventurous now that he's used to the tank.

I picked my 606 up off of Amazon

I took back my Anemone Shrimp because he was on a mission to make sure that my torch would never fully extend. I gave it a little over a week to see if the torch would maybe get used to him hanging around, but it didn't look like that was going to happen. I traded him in and went with a Pom Pom instead.

Pompom2_zps54667b68.jpg

Just a quick update. I ended up ordering 1 all blue 445nm Panorama Pro and the Ecoxotic 1 touch control to add to the existing light setup. So when everything is delivered I'll be able to have more control over the color and intensity of the lights. The one white/blue Panorama is doing great, but I wanted just a little bit more blue, and with the controller I also get some cool lighting programs and a moonlight option.

Other than that, everything is doing great so far. I added a few new corals too.

Ric_zps4d8b97b7.jpg

DaneilandZoas_zpse6710591.jpg

1533186_10152077201737777_1908996831_n_z

Archived