ReefCleaners.org

'dead zone' in space under skimmer?

Mazzy21

I asked this on Reef Central (copy/pasted here) but got no response so either it's an incredibly stupid question or no one knows for sure. Either way I certianly don't know the answer so I'm gonna ask it again on here where Nano's are the 'specialty' and see if anyone knows what's going on down there.

Hi,

I am setting up a Biocube 29 HQI with the AquaLife 115 skimmer in chamber one. I may realize what a dumb question this is if/when someone points out how this works, but for now, when I put the skimmer in and every time I've messed with the tank since (still haven't filled it up - still adding stuff) I keep wondering about that kinda large area underneath the skimmer and if/how water will flow well there. I get that the skimmer pump is sucking in water so maybe that creates the movement in that area?? It just seems like a pretty big, empty, space where everything and anything can get trapped under the skimmer and just sit there rotting and fouling the tank. Could anyone shed some light on this and maybe ease my fears about this potentially large 'dead zone'?

thanks!

I can tell you from experience there is a deadspot under the skimmer. You will need to regularly take the skimmer out and siphon out gunk from under the skimmer. Its normal to need to siphon out the back chambers but the skimmer makes it much worse. Its not a deal breaker but its something to be aware of.

Thanks for the responses! I'm wondering if I should just put the skimmer in chamber 2 and forget about a fuge (how effective is it, really, in such a small space??) to make the whole thing easier.

Archived