Cultivated Reef

Friar's 20 Galllon -- Still Alive!

friar1

Oh and looking back on my thread, I saw that before I wasn't feeding the tank just spot feeding. Harley died some time back, I think because I wasn't feeding enough. About the same time, the Clown began to look like it was losing flesh at the edges of his fins. That's when I started feeding more. Only I started feeding A LOT MORE. Marine snow, Cycolpeze and Zoo Blast. Just every day pouring this stuff in. Sheesh! no wonder I have an algae problem! Anyway, the clown look a lot better, very healthy and hosting the Neon Trumpet coral in front. I will cut back on feeding. Probably cut back the Marine Snow to once a week as well as the Zoo Blast. I will feed the clown at least once a day, making sure he gets enough , but not too much.

Hi Mark,

I have been taking college classes, headed toward a degree. Not much time over the summer. That was a tough session. This fall session is getting hard too. Hopefully, between the skimmer and reduced feedings, I can lower the algae in my tank. However, the corals all did grow a bunch while I was over-feeding, ha ha! So although algae became a problem, I wa able to kick start the growth in the tank. Zoas, a couple of my LPS, and the brain had been stagnate, growth-wise. Now getting good growth on the acan and the prism and the zoas, finally. Need more crabs and corals though, Guess I will have to wait until I am no longer a poor college student hahha

Mr. Microscope

Hey Friar! I just got caught up on your thread. I just subscribed to it so I notice updates faster. I really like your DIY skimmer! Defnitely a win! How long have you had it going?

Are you a Pirate now? Thanks Mr M! It has been going a couple of weeks. Still trying to adjust my feedings. Algae is stubborn, but since it is at about ten months, I figure this is new tank syndrome setting in. Happened on my last tank at about this time. The skimmer works like a charm. Here is a pic of the skimmate I have collected in the last couple weeks. Nice and dark.

skimmer1.jpg

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Wow! Fantastic results from that thing! Very nice.

lol, yes, I chose to use Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island as my avatar for the time being. ;)

Yeah, I got a little carried away with feeding the tank and the fish, was really sloppy for a couple of months and paid for it with Algae bloom, but also reaped huge coral growth. The skiimer works even better now that it has had some time to break in. which I don't understand why it would need to run a while to get really dry foam, but apparently, that s what happens. I am going to get some 90 degree airline connectors so the airline doesn/t pinch so much and I can adjust the airflow better. It is pretty quiet too, I am just using a Whisper 40 airpump. sopunds like my goldfish tank

• 1 month later...

So:

I have an algae problem. It was much worse than it is right now. But I have been working to reduce it. First, I built a DIY Skimmer. Seems to work rather well. I then reduced the amount of food I put into the tank. The clown only gets a little every couple of days. I make sure he is able to eat most of it. I also reduced my Photoperiod and that seemd to help a number of things. The Corals are all expanding nicely now. And talk about growth! All of them have grown like crazy since the algae became a problem (Must be the overfeeding!). So the Acan and the Brain and the Trumpet and the Zoas are growing a lot now. Also, I have the dreaded Aiptasia. :angry: . So I ordered a peppermint shrimp, although I understand this will be hit and miss. I would get a Berhgia Nudibranch, but I just cannot swing the 75 dollars it would take to get it here. We will see what happens with the peppermint shrimp. Also ordered some Trochus while I was at it, since most of my snails have died. I purchased 6 Hermits from the Petco on my way back from a business trip, and they are doing a great job on the remaining algae.

Here are pics:

FTS 11/02/14

20G%20FTS.jpg

Prism

20G%20Prism.jpg

Zoas and Palys

20G%20Zoa.jpg

Zoas and Rics

20G%20ZoaRic.jpg

Trumpet

20GTrumpet.jpg

• Like 2

So I am pretty sure the reduced photoperiod really helped in reducing the algae. It took a while to turn the corner, but once it did, it seems to be losing ground fast. Now if only I can get rid of the Aiptasia

Mr. Microscope

I've found utilizing a three day lights out senario really makes a dent in algae and seems to have no adverse effects on livestock. No need to go crazy covering the tank or anything. Ambient room lighting doesn't seem to really matter. Maybe use a few of those along with a series of frequent water changes over the course of a several weeks. Along with manual removal, this course could really help.

I actually like to utilize a 72 hour lights out once in a while even with algae under control. The tank really seems to sparkle afterwards.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Getting Peppermint Shrimp tomorrow. Hope this does the trick on the Aiptasia

I once saw Todd Gardener talk about peppermint shrimp. He said that they will eat aiptasia, but only if there is no other viable food source. Be careful feeding your fish/corals to make sure the shrimp doesn't get anything, then it should go after the nems...in theory.. ;) Good luck!

Yeah, I am aware of that. It might be possible to do, but will be hard to keep clown healthy. I might have to just spot feed him until the peppermint shrimp eats the aiptasia. We will see!

I am also afraid the pep shrimp will go after the Duncan before he finds the Aiptasia.

So, Got the Peppermint Shrimp and a couple of Trochus Snails. Looks like my algae problem is receding. Athough I have a Peppermint shrimp now, I still have Aiptasia, two of them. You might spot the big one in the following pictures. So far, the peppermint shrimp is keeping to himself, don't see him very often. I am hoping he will seek out the Aiptasia, but only time will tell.

Here are some new pics:

Here is the Peppermnit shrimp warming up

20G%20B%20Pepper.jpg

The New Trochus Snails. Mr Microscope was right, these are very pretty snails and great workers!

20G%20B%20Trochus.jpg

FTS

20G%20B%20FTS.jpg

Prism and Brain Coral

20G%20B%20Prism.jpg

Here is the Trumpet which the Clown is now hosting

20G%20B%20Nemo.jpg

Here is the rock that came from the 4 Gallon tank last year when I started this one.

20G%20B%20Zoe.jpg

Here is the Zoa and Ric Combo

20G%20B%20ZoaRic.jpg

And My Mushroom garden with the Acan

20G%20B%20Mush.jpg

The Prism Alone

20G%20B%20Prism%20Solo.jpg

• Like 2

That shrimp really looks like a Camel back shrimp, be careful.

I prefer to get Berghia nudis for bad aptasia outbreaks. They take a month or so but eventually all apatasia is gone.

Tank looks fantastic! :)

• Like 1

I would hope not! This came from Vivid Aquariums. Pretty good guys. I hope it is not a camel. Sent the picture to Vivid. I will see what they say. If it is not a peppermint, nothing I can do. Can't afford to buy another one with shipping. Flat broke now. Haven't been getting paid from one of my jobs recently.

Wow, I was just looking at my pictures from my last post and wayyyyyy too purple on the rocks. Well, the coral colors look about right anyway.

Great pics! Lots of action going on in your tank. Fun fun!

Thanks Mr M! It looks even better now. Most all of the algae is gone. Don't think it was the crew so much as my maintenance and reduced feeding and reduced photoperiod. I think that last was the turning point. As soon as I went from nearly 15 hours per day to 8 hours, I began to see a decrease in the algae throughout the tank. I finally got to get a good look at the peppermint shrimp and yes, it is a ppermint shrimp. Don't think it is interested in the aiptasia though :( I would get some berghia nudibranchs but now I would have to get rid on the peppermint shrimp. So I will leave well enough alone. For Now! Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

So, I wanted to compare the growth in this tank.

Here is the zoa/ric rock back in January of this year:

small4.jpg

Here it is now:

20G%20ZoaRic.jpg

Trumpet in January:

small3.jpg

Trumpet now:

20GTrumpet.jpg

FTS January:

small1.jpg

FTS Now

20G%20B%20FTS.jpg

• Like 1

So, although I can't get a picture of it, I finally see some red and purple coraline growing on the dry rock I began this tank with. This is a very good sign! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Oh and my canister filter sprung a leak, but nothing damaged. When I went to clean it out; re-assembled, the gasket did not seal properly, so I am waiting to get a new gasket.

I am seriously thinking about dumping the canister filter, and just going with a reactor or two. That is what I am using the canister for anyway, it would probably more efficient and less expensive to use a reactor. In any case, no funds to do so. I will have to settle for the canister for now.

Thanks Shadow, I am not sure about the clown, there are so many kinds of clownfish. I can't tell some of them apart.

I got to see the peppermint shrimp real good tonight. Not a Camel shrimp Thank goodness