Innovative Marine Aquariums

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The free version of Google Sketchup is what you're looking for.

Sketchup.

Google actually sold it a while back.

Thanks folks! I've been using graphing paper for now to get ideas down. I think I have a pretty cool stand idea...

We'll see.

I moved the AC70 over to the right this morning to force the flow a bit more over the smaller rock island. I'm wondering where I should put my koralia 240?

To the rear of the left side of the tank facing the right?

To the rear of the left side of the tank facing forward?

To the front of the left side of the tank facing right?

To the front of the right side of the tank facing left?

El fab just linked me this EcoReef One http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

What a cool concept. Maybe a future pico idea if this one works out well.

I was really going to work on my media basket tonight, but I really am unhappy with my rock and sand situation. I may switch the two islands around and try to use the bigger island to protect the sand from the AC70 flow monster.

So far so good - the larger island on the right is blocking the flow of the AC70 from hitting the sand. I can put some zoas there or something else that really likes high flow. I need to get epoxy to keep the rocks as one unit, though. Any recommendations for gluing LR together?

I use plastic coat hanger cut apart. I usually drill a hold large enough for two or three of the rods, get some JB water weld and put a glob in the hold and stick the rods in. Do the same on the other rock.

I use plastic coat hanger cut apart. I usually drill a hold large enough for two or three of the rods, get some JB water weld and put a glob in the hold and stick the rods in. Do the same on the other rock.

Great, thanks! I just hope the rocks aren't too small to drill in to. Does the JB weld set/cure out of water or in?

Brandon with the vase pico advocates 100% water changes for picos. He suggests feeding heavy the day before the water change and using C balance.

I'm going to do 5-10% water changes weekly. I've been reading a lot about this lately. 5.5 gallons every week just seems excessive, especially with the low bioload I'll have at first. The vase picos it makes sense to do a 100% water change, but for 5.5 I'll wait to see if I need to do those first.

The 100% change is for established reefs, to keep the old tank syndrome away. The most common problem with pico tanks is that they crash in one year. This could be for many reasons obviously. However the practice of near total water changes has been successful. Again, this will not apply to you till well past your 6 month mark.

In sheer contrast, I didn't do water changes on my 2G pico for months. Didn't even change the filter. It has some sand and rocks and corals and macros and a couple of snails. And it did fine.

The 100% change is for established reefs, to keep the old tank syndrome away. The most common problem with pico tanks is that they crash in one year. This could be for many reasons obviously. However the practice of near total water changes has been successful. Again, this will not apply to you till well past your 6 month mark.

In sheer contrast, I didn't do water changes on my 2G pico for months. Didn't even change the filter. It has some sand and rocks and corals and macros and a couple of snails. And it did fine.

Ahhh, I gotcha. Thanks for the info. Man, I can't wait to get my light. I have to get test kits first. Going to check out amazon later today.

Edit: ordered a basic API kit for now to watch my cycle. Also got a nanomag for glass cleaning. I'm set until I get my light and start stocking this thing.

Has anyone ever used JB waterweld without gloves? It says to use gloves when mixing the epoxy, and I don't have any at home. I guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

It gets a bit tacky, but I've done it. Keep your fingers wet. Use a knife or scissors that'll be dedicated cuz it'll stick!

Your fingers get messy but I never use gloves. I just wash well after.

Thanks! I'll use a razor blade and I'll just take a pair of latex gloves home from work today.

This sand is driving me NUTS!!! I've tried everything I can think of at this point to keep the sand in place. Ridiculous. I was trying to get the larger rock island to block some of the flow, but it's just not doing it. Grrrr...

20131114_073209.jpg

That sand looks very fine...probably need some heavier sand.

Yeah, I just didn't want to have to buy 20 pounds of it. That's all anyone has here. It's not cheap either. I went with the 5lb bag because it was more than enough sand, plus it was like 11 bucks.

I'll have to do some hunting.

I went through the sand problem in my 20 long last week. I got tired of the fine sand and ended up pulling my rocks out sucking the sand into buckets and rinsing the tank. I bought some course stuff. Some people say the fine stuff will settle and get hard but mine never seemed like it was going to.

I don't know if you have a Petco near you,but they have some carbisea* i do believe that's the name of it,and it's a 5lb bag for only $8. It's a bigger grain size and should work fine.

My brother n law used 2.5 bags in his 15 and had TONS of flow and it never got blown around. But he opted for BB to keep the tank on the cleaner side.

If you dn't get a smaller impeller you can try cutting yours down...just be careful not to take off too much at once. Just clip off the very end of each one all around so they are all evenly cut. I did this on an AC 110 and cut the flow down enough to use it on a 10 gallon at full flow ...which I actually had sand in - back in my sand days lol. Trouble is that once it's done you can't go back - you have to make sure you do it right the first time or you'll be buying a new impeller.

I love your rocks - plenty of places to stick corals :)

I don't know if you have a Petco near you,but they have some carbisea* i do believe that's the name of it,and it's a 5lb bag for only $8. It's a bigger grain size and should work fine.

My brother n law used 2.5 bags in his 15 and had TONS of flow and it never got blown around. But he opted for BB to keep the tank on the cleaner side.

Petco here only has the 20lbs. I checked when I was setting the tank up. They don't actually have a salt water section, just a few things like salt and filtration media.

I got what I think is CaribSea Ocean Alive sand - I'll have to check when i get home. Either way it's like powder.

If you dn't get a smaller impeller you can try cutting yours down...just be careful not to take off too much at once. Just clip off the very end of each one all around so they are all evenly cut. I did this on an AC 110 and cut the flow down enough to use it on a 10 gallon at full flow ...which I actually had sand in - back in my sand days lol. Trouble is that once it's done you can't go back - you have to make sure you do it right the first time or you'll be buying a new impeller.

I love your rocks - plenty of places to stick corals :)

I'll probably switch out the impeller as the ones on amazon are only 7 dollars. What I don't understand is why people opt for a different impeller and not just a different HOB filter? If I put a 30 impeller in an AC70, doesn't that just make it an AC30 with more water?

Thanks on the rock thing! I'm going to use the JB waterweld tonight to put the rock together in a nice way. I haven't decided on how, yet. I may put all my water in the 5g bucket, remove the sand and epoxy the rocks. I've still got time for the cycling to occur so it doesn't really bother me right now, other than spending money on stuff that I didn't end up liking.

I'll probably switch out the impeller as the ones on amazon are only 7 dollars. What I don't understand is why people opt for a different impeller and not just a different HOB filter? If I put a 30 impeller in an AC70, doesn't that just make it an AC30 with more water?

Yes, but more water is a good thing :) plus a larger filter gives you more room for a larger media rack (pretty cool by the way) and possible even an area for a small fuge?

Yes, but more water is a good thing :) plus a larger filter gives you more room for a larger media rack (pretty cool by the way) and possible even an area for a small fuge?

That's the game plan - a lower chamber for the media, and an upper chamber for chaeto or something. I was initially thinking of putting macro in the display, but we'll see.

Does anyone know how to change out the impeller of an AC70?

I also noticed this morning that my tank leans forward a bit. The bookshelf it's on does too, I think the floor isn't 100% level. Any ideas on what to do to make the tank level? I don't want it breaking on me.

Does anyone know how to change out the impeller of an AC70?

Turn off the pump, drain the pump, twist off the motor from the outside. It's a 1/4 turn. then the motor comes off and the impeller just pulls out. You can pull it out from the top without taking the motor off. I prefer taking it out.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived