Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Just a thought. mixing ice water is a good way to see if the thermometer is close at least. Those non adjustable heaters always kind of scare me.

Well, my actual heater is a cobalt 25W that I can adjust, but it's not working or seems to not be. Veng sent me a package a while back for my 20L build that included a non-adjustable 78 degree heater that always worked for him, so that's my back up. I've got time to figure it out, but my cycle I think is not going along because it's too chilly. We'll see. I'll test water parameters tonight.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I meant that I'd rather try to see if the heater you are using is off because your backup heater was one of those preset ones. Hopefully you can get it all worked out. Was following your last build also and I know you have had a few setbacks. Fingers crossed its cycling

Yea I meant that I'd rather try to see if the heater you are using is off because your backup heater was one of those preset ones. Hopefully you can get it all worked out. Was following your last build also and I know you have had a few setbacks. Fingers crossed its cycling

Ahhh ok, I see now! Yeah, I'm going to have to try and figure it out. I may have to use both heaters? Not really sure. We keep our place kind of cool, so I'm sure the heaters will have to work harder, but I'm surprised in such a small volume that the heater can't keep up. It may very well be the thermometer. Tonight will involve checking them out.

Thanks, but too much money for that right now when there are other things needed for the tank. Besides, why get a controller if there isn't a display?

A lot of people don't run a display on Apex controllers. They aren't worth much but for seeing temps. They are hard to program. If you have an iPad the Apex app is slick. And you do most of the programming through the network on the webpage for the device. The Apex give you peace of mind that a heater malfunction on the on position won't cook your tank since it shuts the outlet off when desired temp is met.

A lot of people don't run a display on Apex controllers. They aren't worth much but for seeing temps. They are hard to program. If you have an iPad the Apex app is slick. And you do most of the programming through the network on the webpage for the device. The Apex give you peace of mind that a heater malfunction on the on position won't cook your tank since it shuts the outlet off when desired temp is met.

Gotcha. No iPad here. Still, I'll have to hold on for that for a while, at least. I need a light first!

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it today. I'm thankful for many things, including all of the wonderful folks here who've followed me along and helped with so many dumb questions I've had.

Yeah I'm more concerned about the heater thing. I need to get my temps up. How would a controller help with that, though? The heater already has an internal thermostat, right? Does the controller just have a better temp probe and turns on/off the heater accordingly?

Though, I will say, if my stand design works, I won't have to worry about flooding and then I can add a controller and all the bells and whistles I want.

It does. I can never overheat my pico with the controller. Even if the heater sticks on, the controller shuts it down when it gets above 79 degrees. The worst that could happen is the heater stops working and even with the controller telling it to heat, it doesn't turn on, hence a cold tank in the winter. I just love the extra security I get with the controller.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. :)

It does. I can never overheat my pico with the controller. Even if the heater sticks on, the controller shuts it down when it gets above 79 degrees. The worst that could happen is the heater stops working and even with the controller telling it to heat, it doesn't turn on, hence a cold tank in the winter. I just love the extra security I get with the controller.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. :)

Well then, maybe a controller one day!

No light yet, but thanks!

I think I'm going to have to get a 50W heater. The 25 doesn't seem to be cutting it - maybe it's a lemon, but I'd rather have the power and not need it than get another 25 and find it doesn't work like I want/need.

Cycle is still going along. I topped off with some fresh water today.

I watched Blackfish with my neighbors last night. Interesting and rage-inducing. Still trying to determine what exactly is real and not from that flick. I believe most of it, but the scientist in me is always skeptical. While the interviews may be meh, it IS almost impossible to deny the videos and injury reports. I've been thinking a lot and I'm inclined to believe most of the claims in the documentary.

In other news, my final paper from grad school was accepted into good journal yesterday, so that feels pretty good. Strange, though, as now grad school and my old lab are 100% officially behind me.

Cycle is still going along. I topped off with some fresh water today.

I watched Blackfish with my neighbors last night. Interesting and rage-inducing. Still trying to determine what exactly is real and not from that flick. I believe most of it, but the scientist in me is always skeptical. While the interviews may be meh, it IS almost impossible to deny the videos and injury reports. I've been thinking a lot and I'm inclined to believe most of the claims in the documentary.

In other news, my final paper from grad school was accepted into good journal yesterday, so that feels pretty good. Strange, though, as now grad school and my old lab are 100% officially behind me.

Well, big congrats on the accomplishment :).

How much bioload is too much for a tank like this? I'm planning on a yellow clown goby, but my wife would REALLY like a clown and she really wants a crab of some kind. I don't want to rely on the crab for CUC duties alone, though. Any thoughts?

I started with a couple baby clowns in a 5.5. My clowns are huge now and i maybe could see one in there, but probably not. (my tanks 5.5->10->20L) i think the crabs (emerald, porcelain, pompom) would be good in addition to the CUC without adding much to the bioload. If you do overstock with livestock, just dont try and keep corals needing pristine water condition.

just my 2 cents...

edit: too many i's

I started with a couple baby clowns in a 5.5. My clowns are huge now and i maybe i could see one in there, but probably not. (my tanks 5.5->10->20L) i think the crabs (emerald, porcelain, pompom) would be good in addition to the CUC without adding much to the bioload. If you do overstock with livestock, just dont try and keep corals needing pristine water condition.

just my 2 cents...

Great, thanks! I was thinking a couple of mexican turbos, an emerald or porcelain crab, a yellow clown goby and then coral. I was going to order from John at Reefcleaners, but I'm afraid he'll blow up my tank with too many CUC inverts.

On a side note - there is so much dang sand dust in my tank. If I touch the sandbed, it kicks up like crazy and it is covering everything. I try and blow it around so the filter floss picks it up but it still ends up covering everything. I think a good sand vac and a few filter floss changes will help out.

Ive heard that if you order a pack and ask him to stick to the numbers because you dont want to overstock the CUC, he will do so.

about the sand... you got me? sorry

The sand dust is just going to be there until I can do a water change and vacuum up the dust. No biggie, just annoying.

Does anyone have a decent build thread for a DIY skimmer for the AC70? I've seen some on here, but I'm more interested in the dimensions of the plumbing required for such a thing.

lnglostsurfer

Did you rinse the sand in RO really well before you put it in the tank? If not then a lot of times you get that dust. As for the fish, check out sandeeps 5.5g. He's got a clown and damsel both plus in his past tank (of the month) he had a clown and damsel as well if I remember right. It's all about keeping up with water changes when you get to this point. I added a juvinile 6-line to my 5.5 and he seems to be doing great. I think two fish is pushing it but a small clown would be fine, I've seen plenty of people rock a clown in this size tank.

Did you rinse the sand in RO really well before you put it in the tank? If not then a lot of times you get that dust. As for the fish, check out sandeeps 5.5g. He's got a clown and damsel both plus in his past tank (of the month) he had a clown and damsel as well if I remember right. It's all about keeping up with water changes when you get to this point. I added a juvinile 6-line to my 5.5 and he seems to be doing great. I think two fish is pushing it but a small clown would be fine, I've seen plenty of people rock a clown in this size tank.

Thanks. I love sandeep's tank. I'm not so worried about the fish anymore. I still think I'm going with a yellow clown goby at first. Maybe a clown later. My wife wants an emerald crab. I kind of want a porcelain. I'm not sure about their respective bioloads vs benefits vs risks to the tank.

I definitely want some snails for a CUC, so maybe a 5.5 crew from Reefcleaners, a crab of some kind, and a yellow clown goby, plus coral? I suppose I could just do some mexican turbos for snails. Grab 3-5 total?

You may consider this for an inexpensive lighting option. I've been using the exact fixture for 6+ months and get incredible growth from all the soft and lps coral I've kept under it. Impressive for the price. http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-featuring-1W-LED-p/56211.htm

Oh nice! Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Great, thanks! I was thinking a couple of mexican turbos, an emerald or porcelain crab, a yellow clown goby and then coral. I was going to order from John at Reefcleaners, but I'm afraid he'll blow up my tank with too many CUC inverts.

On a side note - there is so much dang sand dust in my tank. If I touch the sandbed, it kicks up like crazy and it is covering everything. I try and blow it around so the filter floss picks it up but it still ends up covering everything. I think a good sand vac and a few filter floss changes will help out.

You could do both an emerald and a porcelain crab. They do different things in the tank and would add a lot to the movement. You could even add a pom pom crab to the mix ;). That wouldn't be too many inverts.

If you're planning to upgrade in a year, I'd say go for a baby clownfish and your clown goby :).

You could do both an emerald and a porcelain crab. They do different things in the tank and would add a lot to the movement. You could even add a pom pom crab to the mix ;). That wouldn't be too many inverts.

If you're planning to upgrade in a year, I'd say go for a baby clownfish and your clown goby :).

Good to know! Thanks, Gena. helpful as always :)

As far as upgrading, I think picos are my thing. No plans for any other tank than this one... yet. I've had some ideas, though.

One is a macro tank for blue velvet nudi. I'm thinking a longer peninsula-like tank with a screen separating the tank into like 1/4 and 3/4, filtration all on one side (1/4 side of the tank), the nudi on the other side. The flatworms can get through without any issue and the nudi is safe from the filtration, but the screen allows flow and water movement. The main issue here is water parameters as nudis are notoriously hard to keep and water fluctuations in a pico would cause even more issues. I think it's possible, though.

That or I'm going to get a JBJ 3g pico and use the stock light to have a macro/mantis tank.

On a related note, I need to figure out how to use sketchup. I really want to put my stand plans up on this thread. I think I've got a great idea and I want people to see it.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived